六十七

it was around eight am as the early morning sun was still rising at a slow pace. autumn was right around the corner now their summer break had long gone by. meaning trees started blooming into all different shades of brown and the temperatures started dropping on a slow pace again.

though the sky was unclouded and had the brightest shade of blue on the morning junhui was fired from the hospital. after all the checkups that came out perfectly fine, the doctors saw no more reason to keep the optimistic boy captive in the eternal white hospital. and so, the group of friends that had patiently been waiting all this time, were finally on their way home.

even minghao was among them, as he had no other place to go. of course, the doctors preferred to keep him inside the safe walls of the hospital until doc would come pick him up. but they had no other choice but to let him go as they had no right to decide what was best for minghao. in his papers was written that doc was the only one who was allowed to make decisions for him.

junhui had his backpack slung over his shoulders and held onto the travellers bag where he stuffed all his clothing. it appeared that doc had brought the belongings to the hospital, now someone else was staying resident in his old room back in the lake house. yet junhui seemed to find peace with it.

now he walked here down the street, on his way home, surrounded by his precious friends, he felt like everything would be okay again. the nostalgic homelike safety the town held was something he never thought he'd experience again. that's what made the moment even more worth treasuring.

"we're finally complete again!" soonyoung yelled out of happiness, ignoring wonwoo flicking the back of his head. "we even gained another member of the toe cult!"

minghao felt heat rushing up to his cheek, yet regained a little confidence once junhui firmly squeezed his hand. "and there's no one who would make a better member to our group." junhui exclaimed, pecking minghao's temple.

and while the group burst out in enthusiastic chattering about how excited they were about their brand new member and about the miracle that had taken place inside a hospital room just a few hours ago, wonwoo slowed his pace and started walking beside junhui.

"i think minghao has done really well back in the hospital." wonwoo said, inaudible for the rest of the group to hear. "when we arrived he fell down against a wall in a hallway. we all tried our best to calm him down."

even minghao, the boy who previously never allowed anyone anywhere near him, nodded and confirmed what wonwoo had just said. "i think you deserve all the credit wonwoo. after all, you were the first who came to hug me and told me all that about jun."

junhui gave both minghao and wonwoo a confused side glance. "eh.. things about me?" he asked, not knowing whether he should be concerned or relieved.

"just about everything you've done for all of us. the way you helped me recognizing mingyu again for example." wonwoo said, reminding junhui of another miracle that had taken place only a few months back. "that's also the main reason why i saw it as my responsibility to take care of minghao in that moment."

"wonwoo's comforting skills are insane! you wouldn't say that, would you?" jeonghan butted in on their conversation, never missing a single word that was being spoken.

"oh shut up!" wonwoo defended himself.

"thank you wonwoo, i really appreciate that." junhui was fond of what wonwoo had done for both him and minghao. "i don't think we would've been here right now if you hadn't done that."

"well don't give wonwoo too much credit. the reason you woke up is minghao after all." chan jokingly said, finally finding peace with the situation now everything turned out to be okay. 

"oh shut up you little piece of sh-" "let's not argue now junhui is finally back!" jisoo slung his arm around wonwoo's shoulder, effectively silencing him before he was able to violently end his sentence. 

and even though chan couldn't resist the urge to begin a small playful argument, junhui was glad to see his friends all acting like themselves again. especially after all the commotion and sorrow he had caused, it enlightened his mood. despite their tired eyes and their lack of energy, they all strolled down the street with the same amount of energy and happiness as usual. 

there wasn't more junhui could ask for after everything he had been through for the past couple of months. with his boyfriend by his side, surrounded by the most wonderful fiends one could ever wish for, seemed like a dream that finally came true. 

what first seemed so normal to him now became something special. his regular daily activities became remarkable; worth remembering and treasuring. as if he finally started valuing the little things in life more. mainly because he now was aware that it could all be over in a simple blink of the eye. 

a celebration of life, perhaps. reflecting on the most beautiful things in life. they didn't have to be huge travels or chic, classy restaurant dates. it were the simple things that seemed to matter most now. like how blossom started falling down and covered the streets in a pinkish layer of beauty. or how the clouds diverged and made place for a golden sun that shone upon them. 

or how minghao's tender fingers curled up in junhui's grasp and occasionally squeezed his hand a little tighter to ensure that junhui wouldn't be going anywhere this time. or how the laughter of ten teens echoed through the empty streets of town in the still particular early morning. those were the things that mattered to junhui. 

but mostly, that he was finally going home after what had been the longest journey of his life.