六十

"jun?"

the voice that had called out his name sounded way more familiar and home-like than it had ever done before. and before the sick patient could even match a face to the voice, a warm nose buried itself in his chest, warm liquid running down his cheeks and soaking his thin hospital clothing.

oh how junhui wished he could move his limbs again, to engulf the boy he loved so dearly in a warm hug. yet here he was, helplessly staring up at the ceiling, wishing for the slightest spark of strength so he could offer minghao his usual sense of comfort again.

it was about eight in the morning, the sun outside almost fully set as pinkish rays of sunshine peeked through the blinds, when xu minghao was allowed to visit the hospital.

"hao?" junhui questioned, feeling minghao moving up on top of his chest until the younger hovered over him slightly. and when their eyes met, junhui's burning sense of optimism seemed to return to him once again. "hao.. it's you.. i thought i'd never see you again."

tears of grieve mixed with those of overwhelming joy brimmed in the corners of junhui's eyes, threatening to fall down. their time apart had been only less than a day, yet with both boys knowing that junhui wouldn't last long, it had been the longest and most sorrowful day so far.

a sigh of happiness was heard from the doorpost and junhui instantly seemed to know who stood there. "it was a big mistake of mine to separate you two. i don't think i've ever seen two people in such big need for each other, that's why i've brought minghao here."

both junhui and minghao let out a chuckle on doc's words, being well aware of how attached they had grown over the span of the past few months. "i really a..appreciate that doc.. but aren't you tw..wo bound to leave in an h-hour again?" junhui's difficulties with speaking had grown drastically worse, even concerning doc and minghao at this point.

"i've made an arrangement with doctor kihyun that minghao is allowed to stay the entire time with you. he can even sleep in your bed if you both feel like it." the entire time. doc's words made junhui wonder how much longer he would last. perhaps minghao's presence would be able to extend his time being here just a tiny bit longer.

however, he knew that in his current state he had no guarantee of what was about to happen. or better said; what was bound to happen.

"i, myself, have to leave again. i have to make some final arrangements with kihyun about you and if i'm not mistaken he's sending another patient to the lake house soon, so i need a few important documents about her as well." doc said, stepping closer to the bed so he was in junhui's eye sight.

"so someone else is taking my room already." junhui joked, though it hurt to be reminded of the home-like room he had been resident in for the past few months. "what a shame, i..i hoped i could co..ome back some time.."

doc had to force out a smile to reassure junhui, finding it difficult to talk about a possible future when they both know junhui wouldn't have much time left. "you can come back anytime you like, junhui. though i think you prefer to sleep with minghao anyways, so that'd be easy."

"i don't think there's anyone else i ever want to sleep together with." junhui chuckled, feeling how minghao slipped an arm over his tummy and pressed himself entirely up against his body, drawing a genuine smile upon junhui's face.

and midst all that, doc could do nothing but stare down at the couple with a proud smile plastered to his face. seeing minghao this comfortable with a person after everything he'd been through never failed to surprise doc, who never thought to see him this happy again.

"me neither." minghao murmured, gazing up at doc with a thankful smile. he was simply grateful for the opportunity to spend more time with junhui, now they still could.

"ah, seeing you two like this makes me wonder why i put all my time in studying and traveling when i had your age." doc stared up at the ceiling, mesmerized and deep in thoughts. "it's not that i didn't have a good time, because that certainly is not the case."

doc took a deep breath and gazed back down at the two cuddling boys. "what the two of you have is something.. rare. the love you share goes deeper than what i've ever seen before, and believe me i've seen a lot of it all around the world. the bond you've build up is based on everything, and nothing in general, which makes it so special."

at this point both minghao and junhui had to hold back their tears again, listening to doc's wise words once more. "and in all honesty, i think the two of you would have been everlasting."

junhui wanted to nod, swallowing the rising lump in his throat. "t..thank you doc." he weakly murmured.

"i should better get going, kihyun is probably waiting for our appointment in his office." doc brushed some dust off his clothing, taking a deep breath. "i think this is it."

"i think s..so too." junhui agreed, knowing that they shouldn't extend their final goodbye any longer.

"it's been an honor to have you in my lake house, young man." doc let out a genuine chuckle. "i don't think i've ever had someone this positive and lively under my wing, and i'm glad we had the opportunity to meet. though i prefer to see you back under different circumstances. oh and don't ever doubt to bring your friends!"

"the honor has been all mine, doc. if i get better i'll definitely take them with me."

"goodbye junhui." doc threw a last smile at junhui before turning around and leaving the room, not giving junhui the opportunity to speak once more.

and once a silence dawned upon the couple, tears started leaving junhui's eyes. he barely even sobbed or made any similar noise, yet still he felt like his heart was torn apart. speaking his last goodbye to doc made him realize that the chances were slim he'd ever see the lake house with his own eyes again. however, within the words minghao spoke next junhui managed to find comfort.

"we'll find a way, jun."