二十九

"minghao, put the magnet back in the bag! if i drive over a bump you'll drop it." junhui said in an endearing tone, admiring the sight of minghao who was busy staring at the little object he held in his palm.

yet still he refused to listen to junhui's advice, looking up at him with big eyes instead. "but how can i say no to you when you look at me like that.."

"i just think it's really beautiful." minghao murmured. even if it was just a simple small magnet that contained some text and a picture of the town's square, it seemed such a form of reassurance to the boy. "but maybe you're right. and besides, it will be even more special once we stick it onto the refrigerator at home!"

at home. a smile tugged on junhui's lips at the word home. "you haven't even been in my apartment yet and you're already calling it home." 

"i don't know.. i guess it's just something i'm looking forward to. hey, don't pull that smug face on me!" minghao purposely turned the volume a little up so the radio blasted over junhui's voice, knowing that with junhui's current expression he would feel embarrassed in no-time. 

however, junhui didn't quite seem to agree with minghao's decision as he lowered the volume immediately, wanting to be able to hear his voice. "looking forward to it, huh? that's a good thing i suppose?"

"of course it's a good thing, dumb ass. why else would i want to go home with you?" minghao let out his heartwarming characteristic giggle, leaning his head against the seats headrest and staring outside the window. 

they were currently driving down a hill, upon a road that would lead them through a short part of forest. miles and miles of evergreen meadow spread out until the horizon, herds of sheep and their lambs scattered over its surface, grazing and doing the things you would think a sheep would do. 

"i don't know, what if you planned on robbing my apartment. you've been talking about my refrigerator quite a lot recently." junhui joked, unconsciously reaching out for minghao's knee again as he remembered how it had brought a sphere of reassurance in the said vehicle. 

minghao didn't seem to mind the touch either, liking the warmth of his hand even. never in his life had minghao met a person as gentle and patient as junhui. his tender fingertips brushing over him like he was fragile and his hugs filled with care and home-like safety were things that made him feel valued and loved. as if someone finally cared. 

even the simplest things like this, where junhui cupped his knee with his right hand, managed to make minghao feel like he was on cloud nine. no needy hands gripping his thighs or invading his private space, just junhui telling him he would be there through a scarce touch. 

"i feel like this is something that couples would do." minghao giggled, careless that he had just spoken his thoughts out loud. it didn't took longer than a second for junhui to realize minghao was talking about his hand, a grin spreading across his face. 

"so you picture us as a couple?" junhui said with a content smile, making eye contact with the boy beside him who quickly averted his gaze outside the window, ignoring junhui's piercing stare.

"oh shut up, it's not like you're not doing that either." minghao huffed, suddenly embarrassed as he crossed his arms after swatting junhui's hand away. 

"hey hao." with one hand gripping the steering wheel and the other reaching out for minghao's knee again, junhui gave the boy beside him a warm-hearted smile. "i don't think i can picture us as something else at this point."

no verbal reply was needful for minghao to say that he felt the exact same, just the look in his eyes was able to tell junhui that what he felt in return was more than real. it was painted all over his face. 

therefore, junhui leaned back in his seat with a content smile plastered on his face to focus on the road in front of them again, leaving a gentle grip onto minghao's knee. with the radio softly playing in the background they had created the perfect atmosphere and junhui couldn't be more happy. and for once, minghao couldn't be any happier too. 

junhui's condition was just completely forgotten at this point, even the stinging pain he had been feeling in his leg all day had just vanished mysteriously. though when junhui wasn't one to complain in general, since he preferred to not burden anyone with 'little' things. 

especially not now minghao was making so much progress. junhui doubted the boy had been this happy in months. years even. especially after that first odd meeting of them, junhui noticed that minghao had drastically changed ever since. 

"jun?" minghao broke the silence, making junhui glance at him for a split second before he had to avert his eyes on the road again. "have i ever told you that i really enjoy talking with you at night?" 

junhui started getting onto what minghao was trying to say. is he saying his feelings out loud? "i think you've mentioned it before, how come?" 

"and you remember when we went stargazing? i don't think i've felt that happy since i was a kid." minghao let out a rather shy giggle, carefully placing the tip of his index finger on top of junhui's particularly large hand. to avert his attention from his current embarrassment, minghao started tracing the veins that ran over the surface of his skin, drawing little shapes and enjoying junhui's occasional chuckles.

"and i'm really, really happy with that magnet you bought us." 

"us?" junhui repeated the last word as his chest got filled with pride. 

minghao was hit with the sudden realization that it no longer was just him; it almost seemed as junhui and he were bound to be together. and sooner or later, it might actually happen.