"it's getting really late now minghao, don't you think you should return to your own room soon?" junhui carefully asked once another silence dawned upon them. 

the digits on the clock were now far past two am, meaning the amount of sleep they would get for the night would only grow less. even when their cozy chattering would be able to keep junhui up all night, he worried for minghao's well-being. 

"but.. i'm having a good time here.." minghao had occasionally talked about things on his own intention, which surprised junhui in the best way possible. even when their conversations still didn't contain a lot of personal stuff, junhui was long glad he got minghao to talk so soon anyhow. 

"then maybe we should have a good time at dawn as well?" junhui suggested, still not wanting minghao to feel too drained the day after. 

"but nights like these hold a lot more depth.." even junhui had to admit that minghao had made a point. the doctors that usually were lying in wait, watching over minghao almost 24/7, now weren't a bother to the two of them. unlike the day before where they had sat outside and watched the sunset in peace, no one was able to interrupt their conversation. making it for minghao in general a lot easier to speak freely.

"you're right. midnight talk always hits different somehow." junhui agreed, shamelessly examining minghao's outstanding features. minghao wasn't one to make a lot of direct eye contact, which made it easier to explore the boy's facial features to junhui. 

his glorious shining black hair, that reflected the fair strokes of moonlight that shone through the clouded sky. his long lashes, that were visible now he wasn't wearing his round specs. the way his plump perfectly shaped reddish lips puffed up. the boy even had an outstanding sharp shaped jaw, flowing over in his playful ears that partly hid behind his hair. 

he was fairly slender, yet far from unhealthy. his body shape seemed in a perfect condition, his arms slightly muscular even. even his kermit the frog pajama caught junhui's attention, which he couldn't help but to adore. 

"but you do need sleep though." junhui mockingly put up a stern voice, which seemingly entertained minghao whose head peered up as well. "i don't want you walking around like a zombie tomorrow. you know the doctors are obviously going to ask about it, huh? and i don't want you to get false accusations thrown at you."

"they will ask questions anyways." minghao sighed, yet remained with the small traces of a smile plastered to his face. 

"hey, are you comfortable with me asking you something?" junhui asked with care, seeing how talking about the doctor's changed minghao's expression pretty drastically. the boy in front of him nodded, noticing he had build up enough trust in junhui to speak more openly. or he was at least able to use more words than usual. "why is it the doctor's are pushing you to speak so much?" 

they remained silent on which junhui instantly wondered if he had let his curiosity speak too much. the last thing he wanted to achieve was to make minghao feel uncomfortable, especially when it came to him opening up. though relieve rushed over him once he heard him clearing his throat.

"i wish i knew." minghao whispered, his eyes glued to the window behind them. junhui trailed his gaze and also stared over the breathtaking landscape together with him, humming understanding. "t-they said i'm a.. lost cause."

"i think they're wrong." junhui stated, secretly checking out the side of minghao's face. he seemed to be entirely amazed by the astonishing view from outside the window. even when pearls of monsoon rain spat up against the window and dripped down on a slow pace, minghao seemed to lose tense in the darkness of the night. 

the serene atmosphere in junhui's room helped him open up and speak his mind rather freely. though, which junhui was absolutely oblivious to, junhui's presence might've been the biggest reason why he felt like using words instead of remaining silent. 

minghao's usual defiance and raging anger combined with fear entirely calmed down in junhui's company. of course, his eyes contained this occasional frightened flash. but majority of the time he was able to stay calm and he even put effort in making full sentences. in their own homelike mother tongue of course. 

"listen minghao, you can't possibly be incurable. i personally think the doctor's treat you with too little respect. if they actually gave you the time and space to talk you would think you would find a way to open up, right?" minghao didn't flinch nor tense up when the sensation of junhui's hand appeared on his shoulder. he still didn't tear his gaze away from the window, but junhui was long happy to be able to come this close to him without further consequences. 

"say minghao, it's actually getting really late now. you should really get some rest." how much junhui wanted to offer him a spot in his own bed, he knew he couldn't do that. touching his shoulder and getting him to speak like this had already been a huge step for the socially awkward boy. 

sleeping together and being that close in a single bed for the entirety of the night would be too much. 

minghao nodded, though refused to shift position. the simple touch of junhui's hand resting on his shoulder brought such an unfamiliar sense of safety, which made minghao want to stay in that position for at least a bit longer. 

not long after however, minghao still crawled over to the side of the bed and got up. "thank you.. junhui.." somehow hearing minghao call his name out loud brought so much unexplainable happiness to junhui. 

"there's no need to thank me, i hope we can do this more often." minghao nodded in agreement and junhui knew that this definitely wouldn't be their last midnight conversation. both realized that this might be the perfect start of something

"goodnight then." minghao didn't wait for no answer and rushed over to the door, making the hinges creak dangerously loud again. yet junhui supposed they hadn't gotten caught once the same overwhelming silence filled his room again. 

with a content sigh he dropped back on his bed, staring up at the ceiling with a silly smile tugging on his lips. oh if minghao only knew what he was doing to junhui..