Chapter 22: A Moment

Another long day of training camp had wound down, with formal matches ending and individual practice time beginning.  Nakano was busy clearing up from the day's work, and making sure everything would be ready for tomorrow.  Yachi looked pretty run down, but insisted she would finish out her job, bringing towels and water bottles around to the various gyms.  

"Are you sure, Yachi?  You look really...exhausted..." Nakano said.  Actually, she thought, you look like you spent the day riding enormous roller coasters.  Not only did she look tired, she also looked as though she'd spent the entire day terrified.  Plus, her hair was all over the place.

"N-n-no, really, I can do it!  B-but thank you for asking!"  Yachi started gathering up materials.  

"Okay, thank you!  I'll take care of bringing things to Gym #3, I'm headed over there anyway," Nakano told the girl.

"Great!  See you later!"

Nakano grabbed her bags and a supply of towels and water bottles.  Looking around, it seemed like most everyone from Karasuno had split off, other than a few boys who would be staying to practice in the main gym.  Kageyama, Yamaguchi, and Tsukishima had all left.  Well, she thought, I'm sure Tobio is probably still working on his setting, and Tadashi is likely working on jump floats again.  Maybe I'll see Kei in Gym #3...I hope so.  

"Hey hey hey!  There's our girl!" Bokuto called out as Nakano came in.

"Hey guys!" Nakano looked around.  "Have you seen Tsukishima?"

"I tried to get him to stay, but he turned us down.  Sorry, Nakano."  Kuroo said, a little sadly.

"Damn," the girl swore, looking down at her feet.  "I was really hoping he'd come back here to work on his blocks."

Bokuto was looking at Nakano and fidgeting.  "Come on, Nakano, set for me!"

She laughed.  "Bokuto, you've got a setter.  Akaashi is right there."

"Yeah, but he sets for me all the time.  I only get your sets during this camp, so I want lots of 'em!"  Bokuto gave her the best puppy dog look he could muster.  "Please, Nakano?  Please set for me?"

"You're going to make Akaashi feel bad, Bokuto," Nakano said with a chuckle.

"Yeah, Bokuto-san, I'm beginning to feel like you don't want my sets anymore," Akaashi said, a quirky smile on his lips.

Bokuto looked at his dark-haired setter and blinked.  He cocked his head to the side and blinked again.  Oh crap, Nakano thought to herself, covering her mouth with her hand to keep from laughing hysterically, that boy really does look like an owl!  

"Yeah, he'll get over it!"  Bokuto said, breaking out into a brilliant smile and tossing Nakano a volleyball.  "Toss to me, Nakano!"

Kuroo busted out his hyena-like laugh, and Akaashi just rolled his eyes and smiled a little.  "I'll do some blocking with you, Kuroo," the setter said.  Soon the four had a vigorous spiking practice going.  

After what seemed like about fifty or so sets, Nakano called for a break.  "I need some water, guys.  Can we take five?"

"Sure!" Bokuto said, "If you'll do another round of spiking with me afterwards!"  

Nakano laughed.  "I think you can talk me into that," she said, plopping down on the bleachers and drinking some water.  

"So, Nakano," Kuroo started, "if you don't mind my asking...how's your recovery going?  Do you plan on joining the girls' team soon?"