Chapter 36

Young,

Beautiful,

Innocent and

Obedient.

Four characteristics,  a man would wished from his wife.

Young like his beloved,
Beautiful as the Snow,
Innocent like a child,
Obedient to her husband.

Every aspect and detailed he could ask for a lovely wife. Now he stares at the portrait of that once wife, who breathe at earth. Her clothes lay on his bed with a few of her past belongings were placed carefully beside him. At his fingers were holding their wedding bands, with a box above his head filled with Xuehua's past letters and vows to him. His bed broken, vases shattered, chairs tossed and his room was sealed off shut. At his grief he wept and mourned all over again at his room in solitude. He heard his wife slipped away to slay their son's murderer. It would ring beautifully at his ear, if it was Xuehua's return instead.

The castle rejoiced yet he never entered the banquet as he lie at bed. He did not care about anyone at the matter but only to his turmoil and longing. Foot steps heard, loud and clear, it's heels made a soft clicking sound at every step. From the door a creak was heard with a broke locked door. No one dared to enter his room without his permission. A woman entered with blood shed tears at her cheeks all dried, she had a few cuts. Her hair was all over the place, unbrushed and meshed up. Wearing only a plain white night gown with no jewels or ornamented accessories at her.

"I have done my promise to our son, where is yours? " she asked with voice full of hate and dead cold.

He did not answered and only turned away, facing Xuehua's portrait once more.

"Honor your words, you can break our vows, me and others but do not turn your back to your own son. " As she began to walk away, she felt an eerie and distant hand touched her shoulder. He slipped in a three hairpins at her hair.

One was a shaped as a peach blossomed tree with a bird, the second was a blue butterfly and the third was a rose.

All four that was cherished by the late princess

All four that was cherished by the late princess. Gifts made personally by Damian as a symbol of his love. All of those efforts made to make her smile was worth the labor. Yet the woman who stand in front of him didn't had Xuehua straight silky hair. Her eyebrows were shaved to fit in the Manchurian beauty standards and lips painted like small flowers. The woman bear great resemblance to Xuehua but her scent and aura was far too different. The gentle kind and beautiful Xuehua would never others see her without any form of jewelry nor intricate designs from her dress. He noticed, the woman's eyes were tired and puffy from her tears with her lips dry. She hadn't feed for awhile, he thought.

"You don't looked anything like her... " his voice disappointed and heartbroken. He heard her sighed and had her hand ready to take away the pins, only to be stopped.

"Keep it, nothing in this world will satisfy me anymore...." Only sadness could be felt and heard from the once prideful King. As he slowly moved away from her.

" No treasure nor gift nor blessing nor Crown!  Would suffice my lust for life!!! " He screamed and threw away anything in his room he could destroy again. Maria knew it was hopeless to talk to her husband, so she left him at his own demised and suffering.

All for a woman who long had died and a man who could never accept her fate.

What about her?

Who is Maria in his life?