lunch had gone by in peace, leaving junhui lazing on the couch with an unfinished book inside his lap. normally the chinese boy wasn't one to read books in his spare time, but seeing the lake house hadn't much more to offer than this he was easily satisfied with the magnificent stories. 

again, most occupants were taking a walk under guidance of doc and dohan, who junhui only knew as the grumpy doctor who had stated minghao as incurable at dinner a day ago. and this time junhui didn't mind the calming silence that hung around the house at all. a wireless radio played a live broadcast of trending songs in the back, together with the whistling wind that blew through all possible cracks in the lake house were the only sounds that accompanied him. 

it all seemed like a perfect scenario until the silence was harshly interrupted with a yell coming from upstairs, quick to be followed by footsteps running down the twirling staircase. 

junhui's head peered up and his eyes instantly met with minghao, who had tears of fear running down his cheeks as he stormed up to the taller boy. "minghao? what's wrong?" sensing the boy's panic, junhui didn't wait to get up from the couch and run in his direction. hearing the two remaining doctors were rushing downstairs as well junhui made it his job to protect the younger. 

"j-junhui.." was the only thing minghao was able to mutter as he hid behind junhui's tall figure, shrinking in every time the doctors called out his name. though roger wasn't one to be afraid of, minghao mostly feared the female doctor.

"hey, what happened?" junhui shot a glance over his shoulder to check on the boy who found shelter. no answer was heard in return, so junhui took a guess that the doctors had tried to force him to talk again.   

"minghao, could you please get back upstairs? we weren't done with our session yet?" the lady, at least a good ten years older than doc, stormed up to them with fuming anger clouding her expression. 

"can someone please explain to me what's happening?" junhui asked, grabbing a gentle hold of minghao's upper arm behind him right before the female doctor was able to snatch him away. as far as he could feel minghao didn't tense, nor did he yank his shoulder back. 

"patient wen, i would prefer you to not interfere in minghao's session." the female doctor spoke again, roger only trailing her like a lost puppy. he was only five years older than junhui at most and junhui doubted he was entirely finished with his education, seeing how much guidance he still needed. 

junhui had to make a step sidewards once she made another attempt to reach for the boy. "and i prefer you to not touch him when he visibly doesn't wants you to." junhui's eyes sparked defiance as he kept minghao under his wing, guaranteeing him the care he was in need of. 

"excuse me?" she stepped back and crossed her arms in a cocky manner. "last time i checked i was still in charge. patient xu is in the middle of an important session, so if you could please step aside now." 

junhui still didn't move nor stepped aside, refusing to give them access to the poor boy behind him. "can't you see what this whole session of yours is doing to him? give him a break, will you?" 

"maybe he is right-" the shy roger spoke up, which was cut off by the female doctor raising a finger. "roger, stay out of this." even with roger having studied abroad and having a different origin, his professional help got rudely declined. which junhui found unreasonable as this doctor had clearly more insight in minghao than the female doctor in front of them.

"i'll ask you one last time, please step aside so we can continue patient xu's session." "no!" even junhui was surprised when minghao was the one answering the doctor's request. "j-junhui please don't move.." 

it was when minghao's hand clamped itself around junhui's wrist when the elder's level of determination raised to its max. "well, i think minghao was clear enough. isn't the patient's wellbeing more important, huh?" 

junhui's defiance woke up a certain sense of annoyance in the doctor, who now stepped closer with her arms snatched, ready to attack junhui. but junhui was prepared for violence and didn't even budge to step aside or lose eye contact. 

his bravery was soon rewarded when a door flew open and a loud voice filled the room. "dorothy! what do you think you're doing!" doc stormed towards them and jerked the older woman back by her shoulder. 

"patient wen interrupted our session!" she defended herself as roger only stood behind her facing the floor. doc cocked a brow as he looked everyone up and down, crossing his arms in a strict manner.

"i doubt our junhui has done that." doc gave junhui a friendly smile, shouting a stern 'no' at the supposed dorothy to refrain her from giving an excuse. "now junhui, what exactly has happened?" 

the way doc spoke was way more calm and warm, making it easier for both junhui and minghao to talk. "minghao ran downstairs earlier and went followed by these two. i can only remember him calling my name and her trying to grab him." 

he decided to leave the part about her persistence unspoken. it was quite obvious after all. 

"you know what, dorothy. i'll give you an offer. if you want to continue your session right now, i want junhui to accompany minghao. if you won't go along with this or refuse to let junhui help, you'll be suspended from the lake house."

shocked gasps were heard behind them, seeing the rest who had taken a walk had been watching all this time. suspending a doctor was not nothing after all. 

"patient wen can have access to our session, but i would like to continue it right now." she spoke through gritted teeth, an emotionless grimace clouding her expression before she turned around and walked back up the stairs.

"hey roger! take a break, i'll assist dorothy up there." doc gave the young doctor a wink before he followed dorothy upstairs, now only leaving junhui and minghao downstairs. 

"hey minghao?" junhui turned around, finally letting go of minghao's upper arm as the boy still refused to release his wrist. "if i come with you, will you go back?" 

even when he clearly still hesitated, minghao nodded. "come let's go before she gets mad again, i'll be there with you." junhui spoke rather playful to get the boy at least a little more comfortable, guiding him back upstairs. 

it was when they walked up the staircase when junhui grabbed a hold of his hand, determined to not let go of it any time soon. minghao didn't seem to bother the sudden touch, which was confirmed by a gentle squeeze which junhui caught right away. he was convinced that if they were together, minghao would at least be able to face his fear of talking a little more.