Chapter 56

It wasn't like I was unwilling to accept my newfound responsibilities as a mother, it was just that figuring out what I really needed to do the whole pregnancy thing right was much harder than I thought. No books that I could find eased my worries about any traumas that I could or couldn't lay down on my kids. Repeating history with my own babies, the ones that I still didn't have names for yet, was not in any way what I wanted to happen.

Therapy wasn't an option for vampires, not unless they were willing to expose a poor human to all sorts of trauma. I've killed people before and humans aren't the right species to confess that to. Although I wanted help, help was not readily available.

Stefan and Damon had become much more clingy, if that was the right way to describe it. Never leaving my side for more than a few minutes, the two of them made sure that they had me in their eyesight at all times. Stealing glances at afar or huddling up to me, I found that my pregnancy had brought the two of them closer together and closer to me.

Caroline and I had gone out to shop for some baby clothes, even if we were not that far into our pregnancies. We found out that Caroline and Nik were having a baby boy, which was what Nik had always wanted. As a child he dreamed of raising his own son up and letting him do whatever he pleased, as long as it didn't hurt anyone. There was no doubt in my mind that Nik would be the opposite of what our father was. My brother would never abuse a child, not after what we had been through as young children and teenagers.

"Ooh, how do you think this would look?" I looked back over at Caroline, who had a baby blue shirt in her hands. "I can't wait for this. We'll get to be mommies together. We have to get the twins some clothes as well! I bet they would look great in anything. You and Stefan are both so cute! And Damon."

"I have no idea what we're even looking for in clothes," I admit, overwhelmed by the wide variety of baby clothes in the shopping mall. "Where would we even begin? I don't think all of the frilly stuff would be comfortable but it's what everyone puts on their babies in this century."

"Don't you worry, I've been waiting for this day ever since my mom told me in fourth grade that I could have a baby when I grew up. Oh god, I have to tell her! I still haven't told my own mother. She's going to be upset that she wasn't the second one to know. Oh whatever, she'll forgive me once she sees her grandson," Caroline rambled, throwing some clothes in her shopping cart, "Do you think Nik would mind if we went all out? Would his credit card be able to handle it?"

"Nik's credit card and cash have seen the days when Rebekah would just steal it and go off with some of her compelled friends and fellow vampires. I don't think it even has a limit at this point," she smiled and continued to place more and more things in her cart. "I should have brought Damon. I have no clue what boys like to wear, let alone baby boys. We just swaddled children in blankets and handmade them clothes back in my day. Lord, I'm old."

"You're only 1000 years old. Well, a bit older than that now that it's the 21st century, but you still look and act like you're maybe 20. Too bad we're the first ones having kids. At least we have my mom to give us advice," I nodded, knowing that the Sheriff would be pleased to know that her only daughter was having her first child.

We had only met her a few times, but she understood how the mate bond worked (for the most part, she still was a bit baffled by how someone could block a mate bond and magic in general) and supported her daughter in her vampire life. It had taken a bit of work, but the woman came around once she saw that Nik truly loved her with all of his heart.

"Make sure to call her or ask her to meet up with us. Finding out over text wouldn't be the way to go. If my kids do that in the future I'll be furious," I say as I place some baby socks into a basket.

Caroline took out her phone and dialed a number, who I assumed was her mother. I sighed and placed some light pink and yellow dresses into my basket. I know that we can't make a dent in the bank account, but I still kinda feel bad. I mean, how much money do we really have?

"Hey, Mom, are you free to meet up right now?" Caroline asks.

"I'm just getting off for lunch. Has anything happened? Are you hurt? Do I need to bring my gun?" I hear the bombardment of questions coming Caroline's way and laugh.

"No, Mom, I'm fine. I just need to tell you something and it would be better to tell you in person. I promise everything is all good over here. Meet us at the mall dining court. By the way, Astrid is with me as well."

"Of course, sweetheart. I'll be there in ten. I love you."

"I love you too Mom."

______________________________________________

It had taken just under ten minutes for Sheriff Forbes to find us in the mall, still wearing her uniform and badge. Her face was laced with both happiness and worry as she saw her daughter and I sitting at one of the many tables inside the busy mall.

Walking over, Caroline got up to embrace her mother in a hug. "I missed you. Come sit down so we can share the news."

"What is all of this secrecy about? You always come over to my place when you need to tell me something," she asked, looking right at her daughter with a look only a stern mother could give.

"I know, I know, but we were here and I knew that it would be best for you to know the news as soon as possible," Sheriff Forbes took in a deep breath, waiting for the upcoming delivery of information. Come on, Care, you can't be all cryptic. Give your mother the announcement.

"So, it turns out that I'm pregnant," her mother's jaw dropped at the news, "Isn't it great! Turns out since Nik is half werewolf I was able to get pregnant. I have no clue how my vampireyness didn't stop it from happening, but we found out a few weeks ago. I'm only about two months but it's something."

"That's amazing darling!" I saw tears start to form in the sheriff's eyes as she spoke, "I'm gonna be a Grandma already. You're only 18 and you're having a baby."

"Mom, we have a house and the Mikaelsons have so many people who can help me if I need it. I just want you to be able to meet your grandson when he's born," she gave her daughter a confused look. "Oh yeah, we did a spell to tell the gender of the little baby. Astrid-"

"I also did the spell to find out if I was expecting. Turns out we both have magical little babies inside of us," Sheriff Forbes smiled at me. "He'll have twin cousins, both girls. Hopefully things die down with the Gemini before we give birth because I don't want anyone going after our babies. Don't worry, we'll keep them all safe. I would never let my child get hurt."

"Stefan is one lucky baby daddy, I'll say that," Caroline laughed before taking a bite of the hamburger she had gotten for herself. "How do you combat the food cravings? I just want to eat burgers and pickles all day and I don't know why. It's not like I was this obsessed with pickles before I turned and even after."

"That's the thing, Care, you don't. You give in and eat all of the pickles in the house."