Chapter 49

Ok so I know that I took a break from this story for a while to focus on Broken Memories but now I am here and have new ideas. This may be short as hell but understand that I have work that I need to do today and. I know that I need to update because I can't just not update three books for a week and update one like 3 times a day three days in a row. That just ain't right.

Yes, this book is currently set in like 2012, so all of the references will be from back then. Also, the funny 2020 references will be coming back. I know people commented a lot on it in the 1st chapter so more will be coming. I think that it's funny since I'm just over here writing fanfics during the pandemic. I have made it my plan to write like hell for the next 10 years. I will write good and bad things, but hopefully mostly good things.

I mean this book isn't that good but I spent a lot of time on it-

So major things in this chapter. Hehe, I won't leave you without action for long. You know I could never do that.

While all of the people now at the ball knew who I was, I did not know who most of them were. Many of the vampires that Nik and Kol had invited were people they met during the 1920s. Yeah, I guess that I'll have to make my own friends during the 2020s and throw it in their faces. I mean, it can't be that hard to make friends. All of the 20s that I had been alive during had some crazy social movements as well.

We will just have to wait and see what the 2020s bring us.

Most of the time we spent in the ball included doing simple things like introductions. Thankfully, no witches had come to the Mikaelson family ball. They would make things so much more complicated, likely trying to do something that would piss everyone off.

The Mikaelsons had not formally declared witches a threat, but we had announced to the people we met that if they came across a witch that wanted to put down the heretics, hybrids, or Originals, that they would have every right and authority to kill them on the spot. Yes, Nik had made it sound quite harsh, but they were messing with the wrong people and shouldn't share those outlandish views with others.

People of nature or not, they have no right to want the extermination of a species that hadn't ever really done anything to them. I mean, what had we done on the basis of them being witches? Nothing. What we had done was kill the people that were sending information to Mikael, the Original Hunter.

Witches and Warlocks were just asking to be killed at this point.

"Do you have any idea how long it has been since I have seen you," A voice rang out from beside Damon. Turning around, I see a young looking vampire with a wicked grin on his face. "After all of these years, you still do look the same."

My mate takes a step back. "I thought that you were dead, Enzo. I-" Damon stops as Enzo lets out a long sigh. I pull Damon back behind me, not knowing who he was and how he knew my mate. All I knew was that I would protect my mate from anyone, even at a party. "I really did think you were dead. You...I didn't just leave."

"The fire at Augustine did not kill me, Damon," Enzo's voice was softer. "The problem is, you did just leave."

"Enzo, you were my best friend, I didn't just leave because I wanted to. No, it was torture and I knew I couldn't get you out of the cage and I couldn't handle that," Damon's voice broke up a bit from behind me, "I turned it off. I actually turned it off after I left Augustine."

I gripped onto Damon's hand. Augustine, the place that he had been tortured at. The place that experimented on Vampires like they were simple lab rats. Grayson Gilbert had been a part of the group. Damon had gone off for about a week to kill off all of their remaining members when he found that out. My poor mate, it destroyed him to know that he had dated the daughter of such an awful man. I don't even care that he cured someone of a heart condition, he hurt so many people in the process that one girl isn't going to fix it.

"I don't care who you are," my voice is laced with possessiveness, "Do not come near my mate or I will attack."

Enzo takes a step back, likely knowing that I was getting put on edge by his slightly aggressive nature. Afterall, Damon is my mate.

"You found your mate," Enzo lets out a small laugh. "I only just got here. Missed everything. Who is she, Damon? Wouldn't you like to introduce your best friend to your mate?"

"Astrid Mikaelson," Enzo takes another step back, "Stefan and I's mate. She will attack and she is a heretic vampire, so just don't mess with her. Actually, Stefan will be the one to attack you for even looking at her the wrong way. Rippers, am I right?"

"I didn't think that you would be mated to an Original, Damon, let alone a siphoner. The world really has put weight on your shoulders," I let out a hiss. What the hell would you know, Enzo?

"Don't piss her off, Enzo," Damon warns, putting his hand on my shoulder. "She is just as gorgeous ripping out someone's heart as she is on the dancefloor."

"I'll take your word for it," Enzo says as Nik walks over to the scene at hand. "Klaus."

"Not messing with my baby sister, are you, mate? I'll give you the good old big brother warning that I give everyone: Mess with my baby sister and you will have the pack of hybrids, the heretics, and all of Originals on your ass. I am protective of this loyal little sister and I will kill anyone who dares insult her or her mates," Nik warns, his face turned in his usual cocky smile. The man takes a step back before smiling awkwardly at my brother, who was ready to pounce on him if he dared try to argue with him.

"I'm not suicidal enough to piss off an Original, I promise," Enzo gives an awkward laugh. "Just wanted to catch up with an old friend."

"Oh, I'll leave you to that then," Nik comes up and kisses my head before heading back out to a group of hybrids he had been talking to. "Remember my warnings!"

"Older brothers, we really are all the same," Damon mutters, "Guess I'll have to give anyone Stefan talks to that message as well. I mean, I can't be outdone by my own soul-brother-in-law."

"You can and you will," I say, "Nik wants to be the biggest and baddest wolf of them all. He does not take kindly to those who try and outdo him in anything. Let him be the big and bad older brother."

"Times really have changed for you," Enzo mumbles.

"Times have changed for all of us, Enzo," Damon's voice was now much softer, less scared of the man that stood in front of me. "You should stay in town for a while. I haven't seen you since the 50s."

"I just hope that this time I won't get swooped up by those Augustine assholes," Enzo mutters. "I hear most of them are dead at this point."

"That would be my fault," Damon admits, "I killed most of them the first chance I could. With less mate and doppelganger drama, I got enough time to track them all down and kill them. The last one that I need to kill is at Whitmore College. I think he's trying to start back up the group and I can't let that happen. Thankfully this time I have more strength."

"With an Original for a mate, I would hope so," Enzo laughs. "I will have to catch up with you some other time, little birdie over there is giving me evil eyes and I am not willing to deal with it right now. Blonde one, right there," He points to Rebekah.

"Rebekah, big sissy and very demanding. Don't go for it, man," I warn, "Nik will kill you for even giving her a lick of attention."

"So will Elijah. And Finn. And maybe even Henrik. Although Henrik is the little brother, he does have some fire in him. Whoever gets stuck with him for all of eternity is going to have a jolly good time," Damon snarks.

"Kinda still hope it's Jer."

"I know, angel, I know."