Chapter 45

Well, I feel like this is a milestone sooo...

I always felt like Kai never actually hated his family. He always seemed like a guy who was pushed to the brink by the way his family treated him after they found out he was a siphoner. He's really not that bad of a guy in my eyes. I mean, what would anyone else do if they were barred from almost all physical contact for like 6 years? I would go crazy! He just needs some time to heal and some family to help him through things in my eyes.

Even if we had only been inside of the prison world for a few hours, I felt trapped. Not only was I seperated from one of my mates, but I couldn't feel his emotions through the bond as clearly anymore. My blindness put me on edge like nothing else ever had. Stefan and I didn't leave each other's sides very often and now that I was in a completely different version of reality I just felt lonely.

Stefan and Damon were my rocks. They tied me down to immortality and made me feel safe and at home. They were the only two people that I would ever trust fully with my heart. Yes, I loaned many parts of myself to other people when they need it, but my mates would always be my first priority and the people that had all of me at all times.

I just hoped that I could help others find the people that they could trust.

"So, do you guys know how this freaky eclipse works?" Kai asks the two of us.

"Do you really think that we would come into a prison world without being able to get the hell out of it, Kai?" Kai just shrugs at the rhetorical question, showing us to a small part in the woods. "Is this the place?"

"Yup, since you have the magic, this should work. Did you two bring any witch blood? It might help speed up the process," I nod, bringing out the bag of blood that we took from one of the witches from the battle against Esther. Kai smirks and takes the bag from my hands, grabbing a small bag of salt from his pocket, drawing the lines that we would need to complete the spell.

We spent an hour waiting for the eclipse to come. When it finally reached its peak, Kai ripped open the bag of blood only to pour out quite a bit on the log he used for the spell. "This is going to take a lot of magic and I don't know how much you have left," Kai warns. I smile at him, feeling the genuine worry in his voice.

"I have enough, Kai, there's no need to worry about me," I reassure. He nods and I hold out the ascendant. Damon takes a hold of the thing, not wanting to be left behind. Kai follows suit, holding onto the thing for dear life, his knuckles slightly white from just how hard he was holding on. The kid just really wanted to get out of here.

Still gripping the ascendant, I chanted out the spell for release, pouring in most of my stored magic from my inner core. I could feel the magic flow through me and into the ascendant, causing small sparks to fly out around us, my magic slightly out of control. A bright white light filled my vision as the object spun around and around. The light faded just as quickly as it came.

Standing in the forest, I groaned as I felt weaker and weaker after the spell. We had done it, we had made it out with Kai. He was here and he was safe. We would be able to keep him safe. I would never let another Gemini get away with making a portal again. They would die before they got the chance.

"Well that just felt like shit," I deadpan, putting down the magical key, "The Gemini better not make me do that again anytime soon. I mean, I've broken 2 of these in the past year. That has to be the biggest feat of the history of witches."

Kai laughs and looks around the forest. "The same as I remember it," he looks at me, "Just so you know, my old coven will be coming after me the second that they find out I've been freed. Daddy is gonna be really mad."

"Fuck your family, Kai," Damon snarks, "We'll kill them for even thinking that they can put you in a witchy prison. Your new coven is more powerful than they could ever even imagine. Plus, how would they know?"

Kai sighs, "My father, since he did create the ascendant, can sense when it's being used. He's probably on his way now. We should get the hell out of here before he comes, Miss heretic doesn't have enough magic to fight him. He's powerful. You know about the merge, right?"

"Yeah. . ." I trail.

"Well, I was supposed to do the merge with my twin, Jo. The coven leader is my asshole father and he decided that he couldn't have a siphoner be the leader of his coven, so he put me in the prison. This may or may not have been after I had just killed 4 of my siblings," Kai admits.

"No more killing siblings. That is, unless they attack first. If they attack first I give you the right to gut them any way that you want," Kai laughs and nods his head, taking in a deep breath.

"Do you think that the others would want a sociopath as a coven member?" I sigh.

"Kai, you don't sound like a sociopath. A sociopath would have tried to leave us in the prison world. You genuinely sounded hurt. Sociopaths don't feel hurt over anything. Look, I've done really bad things to people as well. Hell, I've thought about killing my parents on multiple occasions. In fact, I did just kill both of my parents this year. You can change. You don't need to be angry anymore, not when you have a place to go to."

"I mean, I've tried to kill my brother on many occasions. Ruining his life made me feel good at one point. No matter what shitty things you have done, we've probably done worse," Damon remembers all the times where he screwed with Stefan.

"The problem is that I like killing people," Kai argues.

"Hey, even if you do like killing people for fun and stuff, you'll find someone that likes killing just as much as you do. Take my brother Kol for example. He kills and he kills and he drinks people to death all the time with a cheery smile on his face. Why take away something that you like so much?" I point out. You know, he reminds me of Kol before he really figured out that Nik did in fact love him.

From then on, our walk to the car was silent. We had to be careful. Anyone could hear what we were saying and when people hear things, they talk. I wouldn't want anyone figuring out who Kai was with at the moment. That could end very badly for all parties.

I would be forced to rip out their pretty little throats.

By the time that we reached the car, I felt like I was going to pass out. "I'm gonna sleep in the back. Kai, take shotgun," I announced. My mate and my new coven member laugh, opening up the car doors.

I mean, what could be better than a car ride with two murderers?