Falling From The Rooftop | ✓

By vanilladrips

After finally begging her father to allow her to attend public school, Varena Claire didn't think he was talk... More

•♡•
C&A
[1]
[2]
[3]
[4]
[5]
[6]
[7]
[8]
[9]
[10]
[11]
[12]
[13]
[14]
[16]
[17]
[18]
[19]
[20]
[21]
[22]
[23]
[24]
[25]
[26]
[27]
[28]
[29]
[30]
[31]
[32]
[33]
[34]
[35]
[36]
[37]
[38]
[39]
[40]
[41]
[42]
[43]
[44]
[45]
[46]
[47]
[48]
[49: Epilogue]
[Goodbye]

[15]

1.1K 49 15
By vanilladrips

Selenophile:
A person who loves
The moon.

[◇]

The knocking on my window doesn't stop. I thought sandwiching my head between my pillows would help but it simply doesn't so I got off the bed, annoyed. When I pulled the curtain to reveal the window, I'm shocked to see Hale sitting on a bench, waiting for me with his knuckles knocking on the glass window.

Being the caring person I am, I opened the window and let him in, not wanting a dead body in my lawn in the morning if he fell. "What are you doing here and why didn't you call?" I whispered to him, already in fear that my parents would barge in any second.

"I did call and I needed to come see you to apologize," he defended. I didn't say anything since I haven't been on my phone in a while and since I was about to go to bed it was on mute.
"You can't apologize for something like that. Do you know how much pain you put me in, Hale? I...I don't think I can still be with you," I sighed, rubbing my forehead.

His eyes darkened in hurt and guilt washed over his face. "I don't like you going to that school, Re," he mumbled, looking at the floor. "I know," I deadpanned. "Are we done?" He asked in another way of asking if I just broke up with him.

"No, I just need some space. Can you give me that?" I decided. I needed to think over all of us and if I decided that I cannot be with him then I'll break up with him. He backed towards the window. "I'm sorry for fucking us up," he apologized for the last time before disappearing outside the window.

I sighed and was more than happy to get back to bed and thankfully my overthinking was paused and I was able to fall asleep.

When I woke up the next morning I tried my best not to think about it at all. I tried not to think of my visit last night but I knew I had to come up with a decision quickly. I got dressed in blue jeans that were ripped at the knees and a black fitted tank top that hugged my body perfectly. Over that, I wore an oversized sweater that made me look cute and comfortable with the neckline slipping down my shoulder.

I grabbed my bag and phone before running down the stairs, ready to say goodbye to my parents. "Hey, honey. Your mother borrowed your car this morning because hers broke down so I'd have to drop you and pick you up from school," my father told me as I walked in the kitchen, about to grab my car keys and leave for school.

True to his words, the car keys were missing. I groaned out loud and grabbed an apple before following my dad to his car.

_♤_

When school ended and I made my way to the corner of the block where my father said he would be, I was disappointed.

He wasn't here.

He said he would leave work early.

I checked my phone to reveal no new messages from him so I decided to call him instead. I was already pissed but I could at least let him explain, maybe something happened. The call was unanswered but right after a message was delivered to my phone.

Dad: Urgent two-hour meeting. Can you ask one of your friends to take you home or even the bus?

The school bus already left and the only friend I had was Ellie and I'm sure she left already. Great. Just fricken great. I left the message on read and shoved the phone into my back pocket.

I guess I'm walking home.

I huffed, pulling the straps on my bag and holding them tight on my shoulders while walking down the pavement. I couldn't complain, the weather was good today. It wasn't too hot and it wasn't about to rain either. This is going to be a long walk and hopefully, I don't get lost. I don't have my GPS but I've been at the school for two weeks so hopefully, I don't get lost.

The sound of a car slowly approaching behind me on the road took my attention and I look to see the freshly washed white Audi. I became alarmed, reaching for my phone when the window went down.

I scoffed and looked away when I saw who was driving the Audi.

"What are you doing?" Covan curiously asked me. I ignored him and kept walking. I managed to avoid him at school but this crap just had to happen. "Verena!" Covan called out to me but I ignored him once again. "Do you need a ride home?" He continued.

My eyes snapped to his inside the car out of shock. He is actually willing to take me home? No way that ass was so nice. "Can I drive you home? You shouldn't be walking home on your own," he begged.

"How do you know I'm going home?" I challenged. He looked in front of the road. He had pulled over to the side and slowly moved his car as I walked but people were free to drive around him. "Well let me drive you to wherever you are going," he insisted, not breaking his act. I didn't want to believe that he was actually being so generous and caring.

But I'm a stubborn girl.

"No."

"Just let me drive you home, damnit Verena," Covan cursed, slamming his hand on the wheel and I froze. "You wanna drive me home?" I asked, my eyes narrowing on him. "Yes," he sighed in relief.

"Then after today leave me the hell alone. You've done enough treating me like the damsel you all think I am. All I want is to be successful in school and be a cheerleader, that's all. So leave me the hell alone, Covan Harington. We aren't friends and will never be. Just because your father runs the place doesn't mean I'm your responsibility," I snapped at him. I had an idea where that even came from. He was definitely shocked by my outburst but so was I.

His mouth opened and shut to say something but he remained speechless. "Deal?" I added. Covan sighed, his hands falling between the wide space between his stretched out index finger and thumb finger. "Deal, just get in. I have places to be," he sighed.

I smiled in triumph and opened his car door. I was hit with the strong muscular strength of his car. "So where do you live?" He asked immediately, gesturing towards the GPS system. My eyes widened and I just stared at it.

Shit.

"You can't drop me in front of my house. My dad will see and get mad," I don't lie. It was the truth. Now I'm wondering if he knew about our father's history. How do I even bring up that without making him skeptical? "Okay," he simply said, and began to drive faster.

It felt weird being in a car with him. My body was stiff and I gripped onto my bag tightly. "So I was hearing rumors about your father today," I lied. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow before turning back to the road. "There is always a rumor. What does it say this time?" He asked.

"That he has a feud going on with the principal of Fallon High," I tested the waters. "They had high school drama," he cryptically told me, and from what I knew it wasn't a lie. I didn't know the full story and I wanted to know more. "Fancy," I chose to say.

"Any other rumors you heard?" He asked. I shook my head and looked at my hands on my lap. "I don't usually pay attention," I mumbled. "Ah, you're so innocent," he sighed softly.

"How am I innocent?" I snapped, not liking that he thought I was innocent. I'm much more than what people like him think I am. "You let a boy use you till you bleed," He poured out and I immediately got angry. "Stop bringing that up! He didn't use me. I gave full consent!" I defended Hale and myself.

"Just wait till Pres and I meet that dude," covan ignored, his tongue running on the inside of his mouth. I raised my eyebrow at him. You already met him is what I wanted to say. "And what would you do? I'm nothing to you," I pointed out.

He took some time to respond and when it was about to get awkward he spoke," true but he's a mother tucker and needs to be taught a lesson for what he did to you," he responded with a clenched jaw. I looked forward angrily, seeing that he was just about to enter my street.

I stay quiet even though I was playing out a bunch of replies I could have said. When he stopped in front of the street, I opened the car door and got out. "Thank you but fuck you," I snapped at him before slamming the door hard and storming off on the pavement.

•••

I was going to make Hale do something stupid again when he visited Verena but I held back:)

Anyway, thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 138 27
Jaden Hill is the "it girl" at Mayfield High. She's the captain of the varsity cheerleading team, student body president, and future valedictorian. H...
1M 35.9K 53
(Highest in TF #15) Meet Kaden Nowell; he's the head of the football team, smart, cunning and the boy who never refuses a bet. Meet Amber Lewitt;...
2.1M 68.8K 66
A new (unwelcomed) beginning comes when Makennah is relocated through the foster care system to a new home in a rich suburb with the Sinclair family...
146K 1.8K 23
Annie is a part of a sportsy family. Her dad is the football coach at her school. Her brother plays football at his college. Her mother is the cheer...