Attraction Is The Easy Part...

By anamika_writes

• • • • Attraction is spontaneous, but Relationship is not. • • • • Shivaay has celebrated celibacy so far. H... More

P R E L U D E
Chapter 1 : Meet Him
Chapter 2 : Meet Her
Chapter 3 : The Dinner
Chapter 4 : Meeting Again!
Chapter 5 : Amidst Confusion
Chapter 6 : Yes or No?
Chapter 7 : Wedding On The Cards?
Chapter 8 : Laughter and Smiles
Chapter 9 : Hues Of Romance
Chapter 10 : Slow Dancing
Chapter 11 : Awkward Affair
Chapter 12 : Warm Advances
Chapter 13 : Confusing Proximity
Chapter 14 : Exquisite Experience
Chapter 15 : Dazed Curiosity
Chapter 16 : Impassioned Encounters
Chapter 17 : Flaming Fondness
Chapter 19 : All in a day's time
Chapter 20 : Healing Time
Chapter 21 : Inevitable Affinity
Chapter 22 : Comforting Closeness
Chapter 23 : Shedding Diffidence
Chapter 24 : Subtle Seduction
Chapter 25: Fervent Temptation
Chapter 26 : Growing Fondness
Chapter 27 : Consuming Attraction
Chapter 28 : Gratifying Mornings
Chapter 29 : Boiling Desires
Chapter 30 : Unexpected Encounters
Chapter 31 : Of Bygones
Chapter 32 : Of Bygones (II)
Chapter 33 : Temporary Fixtures
Chapter 34 : Life Goes On
Chapter 35 : Completely Smitten
Chapter 36 : Insatiable Needs
Chapter 37 : Cherishing Togetherness
Chapter 38 : Sparks Of Love
Chapter 39 : Reality Checks
Chapter 40 : Something Like Love
Chapter 41 : Of Flowers and Hearts
Chapter 42 : Perplexing Emotions
Chapter 43 : Between Heart and Mind
Chapter 44 : Strong Attachment
Chapter 45 : Making Mends
Chapter 46 : Talking Hearts
Chapter 47 : Sparkling Intimacy
Chapter 48 : A New Chapter
• Bonus Scene •

Chapter 18 : Unforeseen Circumstance

6.7K 685 34
By anamika_writes

Anika looked at him worried as his face reflected shock. "Make sure to carry the files, the left shelf, second from the top. That entire bag. I am calling Dr. Prasad." He looked up at her. "Daadi fainted. They're taking her to Divine Hospital." Informing her he walked out.

She quickly followed him. "I will come along." He turned to look at her and then nodded while holding the phone to his ear. "Hello, Dr. Prasad?" His voice trailed as he stepped out.

Anika quickly wore her sandals, picked up her phone from the center table and took the key to the main door from the key hanger. She quickly locked the door and slipped the key under the tulsi plant pot. She sprinted toward his car he was still talking to the doctor. "I will drive." She said softly. He shifted his gaze to meet her eyes. Anika was momentarily intimidated. Without his smile, he could really be intimidating. He gave her the keys.

Anika took a deep breath walking to the driver's seat. She was putting on her Google map when his voice made her look up, "Drive, I know the way." He spoke covering the mic of the phone. Anika nodded following his instructions while he was shouting at some assistant to connect him to some doctor immediately.

Anika dropped him off at the main gate and drove the car into the parking. She immediately made a call to her mother to fill her in on the happenings.

* * *

Daadi had complained of unease in breathing and chest pain She had already experienced a heart attack. Her heart was only sixty percent good. Shivaay ran through the corridors and stopped only when he spotted his brothers. "Hos is Daadi?"

"ICU," Omkara replied, "the chief cardiologist in charge today, is with her."

"Dr. Prasad is amidst a surgery. Might take him another hour or two." Shivaay exclaimed running his hand through his hair in distress.

Omkara blew out air sitting on the chair. "I hope she's fine." Rudra quietly sat beside Omkara.

"Did you tell dad or mom?" Shivaay turned to Omkara.

"I told my mom. She said she and papa would take the flight tonight. Couldn't reach out to your mom. And obviously I wouldn't give the news to Shakti uncle over phone knowing his condition."

"I will ask mom to break the news to him once he returns home," Shivaay spoke looking at his wristwatch.

"Shivaay, is Daadi okay?" Shivaay turned to find Anika walking towards him.

"She's in the ICU." He answered turning back to Omkara. "I will go check in with the hospital authorities about the cardio-specialist, you guys stick here and call me once the doctor comes out." Saying that he jogged away. Anika could clearly tell he was ruled by panic and sadness. She gave his brothers a tight-lipped smile sitting beside them.

* * *

Shivaay was tensed. Omkara held his hand while Dr. Notani, the doctor in charge,  sat on his chair before them. He was analyzing Daadi's medical history file. He looked up at the two young men.

"She's stable now. But.. her heart failure has reached Stage D. Her heart is very weak. It's time for action." His voice was dead serious just as his expression.

"Dr. Devesh Prasad will be arriving here shortly. I totally respect your expertise but since Dr.Prasad knows Daadi's medical history we'd want him to be on the front foot for this case." Omkara spoke when he sensed Shivaay to be lost in his thoughts.

"Sure. I have worked with Dr. Prasad on a few cases before. Let's decide upon his opinion once he is here. How long will it take him?"

"An hour at maximum," Omkara answered glancing at Shivaay.

"Can we meet her?" Shivaay finally broke his silence.

"She is asleep, due to the medications." The doctor answered.

"Okay." Shivaay sighed walking out followed by Omkara.

They were greeted by Shivaay's worried parents. "what did the doctor say?" Pinky asked.

"She's okay now. Dr. Prasad will come and have a look." Shivaay answered while Omkara glanced at him thoughtfully. Shivaay met his gaze and a mutual understanding was established between the two.

"Where is Doctor prasad?" Sakti asked evidently worried.

"He should be here in some time. Forty minutes maybe." Omkara answered.

"Did you guys have dinner?" Shivaay asked his [arents, concerned.

"Yeah, we did. I packed some for you all. Go have dinner while the doctor comes." Pinky spoke. The brothers nodded.

* * *

Anika sat with the three brothers at a table for four in the cafeteria of the hospital. She had served the food in their plates but neither showed interest in eating. "Guys, eat." She finally vocalized. She met Shivaay's eyes. He nodded beginning to eat.

"Daadi will be okay right?" Rudra's question made the three look up.

"She will," Anika answered confidently. Rudra turned to her smiling while the two brothers nodded focusing on their food.

* * *

"Mumma, it's weird. I don't think he wants me here." Anika spoke into the mobile phone standing in the ladies' common washroom.

"Anika, just be there okay. He will be worried so it's natural for him t ignore your presence."

"I feel like an outsider. I am just standing silently on the side doing nothing. Are you sure I am not being a burden over them? I mean..I am not his wife, not yet."

"Anika, listen. You are supposed to be there, okay? You are a part of their family. I know you're not used to it all. But you should be there. As for everyone they are obviously worried about Daadi right now. You can't expect them to acknowledge your presence and make sure you are comfortable right? I know, Anu, it must be awkward and disheartening. I know you care for Daadi too. Just be there for them. Okay?"

"hmm."

"Did you all eat something?"

"Yeah. Yeah, Mom brought food from home." Anika answered looking at the tap that had been left slightly open. She stepped forward turning it off tightly.

Mrs. Talwar smiled sadly. It was weird to have her call someone else mom. She bit her lip. "Keep calling me okay?"

"Hmm. You take care." Anika replied ending the call.

Mrs.Talwar held the phone close to her heart. She looked around at her empty house and then at the plate of food before her. How would she deal with the permanent absence of her daughter from home if only this temporary absence was so disheartening? She sighed, switching on the tv. Anika was perhaps right, she had to find a new purpose in life.

* * *

"Open heart surgery for implanting a VAD- ventricular assistance device." The words echoed in Shivaay's ears as Dr. Prasad stated them.

"Her heart is weak right, so will she be able to cope up with an open heart surgery given her age?" Omkara asked thoughtfully.

"That's our only option." Dr. Prasad stated. "We can let her be how she is now. But the risk is too high. Either way, there is risk. Open heart surgery might be hard, but it can help if successful.

"What is the success probability in this case?" Shivaay asked leaning forward on the table.

"In this case, given her age and other conditions, fifty percent." Dr, prasad answered.

Shivaay took a deep breath sitting back in his chair. He looked at his father who sat silently.

"Let me know within a few hours what's your decision. We will have to take Mrs. Kalyani's decision, her say will be considered final. She should be up in an hour or two." Dr. Prasad concluded.

The Oberois walked out of the doctor's cubicle. Shakti narrated the situation to the others outside. Shivaay excused himself walking away. Omkara noticed and followed. An observant Anika looked on but decided to let the brother be. She walked over to Pinky giving her a hug.

* * *

"Om, what do you think?" Shivaay asked his brother who sat beside him on the bench. It was midnight. The city was in slumber while the hospital was wide awake. Beeping machines, shouting nurses, crying people and sound of the rolling of wheeled stretchers filled the air inside the hospital. But, outside in the open lawn where they sat on the bench, everything seemed quiet.

"I don't know, Shivaay. I just don't like the idea of Daadi undergoing a painful surgery that has just fifty percent chances of success. Mom- dad, although, want it." Omkara answered. Minutes back his parents had made a call to say they were returning to Mumbai from Jaipur. They seemed to be okay with the surgery option. "I hope Shakti uncle doesn't say yes too."

"I want Daadi to undergo the surgery." Shivaay finally spoke up.

Omkara looked at him appalled. "It may turn out to be that she could have lived a good life for a few more years but the surgery killed her."

"Living in pain and fear that death can come any minute – what's the point of living that way? There is a way that can make her better. There is a fifty percent chance of success, Om."

Omkara fell silent for a few passing minutes. "I hope Daadi doesn't want it."

Shivaay sighed, "I wish she does." They looked at each other nodding.

* * *

"I am not dead idiots. Stop staring, I can hear and talk." Daadi smiled looking at the family gathered around her bed.

"Daadi, " Rudra cried holding her hand.

"Oh idiot, stop crying. Save it for later. I am feeling fine. I am not dying without seeing one of you married." She chuckled softly.

Shivaay walked forward and held her hand, kissing it. She smiled. A minute of silence passed by. "What did the doctor tell you all?" Daadi finally vocalized her thoughts.

Shivaay glanced up at his father stepping away to make way for him. The others slowly left the room. Shakti held his mother's hand narrating the entire analysis of her medical health and the two options to her. She listened patiently not reacting. A pin-drop silence fell until it was broken by her sobs. "I want to see Billu's marriage. Do you think I will live long enough until that?"

"I don't know, Maa. Life can be unpredictable." She nodded silently. The nurse entered requesting the visitor to leave.

Shakti stepped out to find others looking at him for an answer. "maybe by tomorrow morning she will have her choice ready." He spoke, signing Pinky to come over with him. The two walked away down the corridor.

* * *

Shivaay's vibrating phone in his pocket. He opened his eyes getting his phone out. He was slightly baffled to see his father id. He looked up and down the corridor. Rudra was asleep with his head on Omkara's shoulder. While Anika who sat silently beside him was looking at him. "All okay?" She asked her eyes reflecting concern. He nodded getting to his feet walking away while holding the mobile phone to his ear.

Many of you guessed it would be about Daadi. Guess my plots are getting predictable. 

Would love to know your thoughts on the situation.

-Anami!♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.6K 9.4K 27
Anika is a widow, she lives in a village while Shivaay visits the village for some business deal. He looks at Anika and falls in love at first sight...
257K 15.7K 37
A story of separation and longing for love. Shivika, got married after facing many troubles because of his mother Pinky Singh Oberoi. But his one mis...
27.9K 1.7K 19
These story plots are taken from one of the popular indian television series as ishqbaaz. Shivay and Anika are Lead Protagonist of these stories wher...
411K 32.6K 47
Shivaay Singh Oberoi, a business tycoon, wants to marry as soon as possible due to circumstances. Anika, an orphan, is in immediate need of money. ...