Highland Bear (Book 4)

Da AzMaz90

The Druids were a hunted people long ago...they made a pact to scatter their children throughout time to keep... Altro

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Epilogue
Highland Chieftain

Chapter 16

3.5K 332 45
Da AzMaz90

Chapter 16

                There was so much to say, and Artair had a belief that Alfred was not going to listen long to his words before he decided to do something about his presence in this room. “You wish me to know something you have knowledge of? Yet all you speak is cryptic Scottish riddles.” Alfred really was sore on the fact he could not control Artair and his closeness to Rohesia at that very moment. Their hands still clasped tightly, as if they were merging together as one. He would not let her go now, and no English man was going to come between them, most assuredly not one who had already managed to get one hit in.

                Never again was the vow Artair made towards that final thought. But he would take anything, from anyone, no matter the pain or the outcome, if only it meant he could spend this time with her…Maybe without Alfred watching them of course.

                “Scottish riddles? Do’ya just not understand plain English man?” His nostrils flared as Artair watched him. “I said I had information for you, and I always keep my word. I will never lie, I may withhold a truth, but never deceive through the words I speak.” His voice was as hard as his words. He did not like being called out by an English man, especially one who did not have the truth of it himself.

                “I will have you know, whoever you think you are, that it is hardly fitting for me you sit here and believe the words of a male who has forced himself into the rooms belonging to a lady.”

                “Aye, I grant it is not fitting but, I did not know she was a lady. Nor would I have guessed from her abode and dress.” Turning he glanced at the female in question. Her stance and words left no doubt as to her birth right. She was every inch the lady, yet she did not wince or squeal and complain at the accommodations she was given, the life she was now living. And from what he had heard of her life so far, and her treatment from a woman who was supposed to be there to protect her from harm, he was not surprised she was content with the conditions she currently lived in.

                Alfred’s nostrils flared wide at the accusation in his tone and yet with only a flick of his gaze towards Rohesia, he did not speak of them, but instead spoke of another point he had picked out. “And how would you have reacted if you knew, indeed, that she was an English Lady?” The raised brow made Artair’s anger simmer once more beneath the surface. The male really was infuriating.

                “I would have gone through the proper channels to find out how to approach her…after than initial meeting.” He turned to gaze into the wide eyes Rohesia had turned on him. Making sure she could see his words, he continued. “For that first moment ruined me for all others. I have seen no one but you from that point. In fact, I look for you everywhere I go.” He paused a moment, and confessed something he had not wished to at this point, and definitely not in front of Alfred, let alone anyone else. “I was looking for you before I even found you that first day. I was trying to find the woman who caught my eye in glances and fleeting passes.” Reaching out he cupped the side of her face, to the sound of a rough growl from Alfred, which Rohesia could luckily not hear. “You were there before I knew it, and I cannot see a time when it will not be you I see.”

                Rohesia stopped breathing for a moment, and just when he began to panic that she was not going to take another breath, a large lungful of air went surging into her lungs as relief deflated his. However she had learnt to hear through her eyes, he was grateful, and while he could not be sure of how much she had gained from him, as he had spoken in a rush to make sure he did not back out of the words. He knew that she had gained at least the gist of what he was saying by the way she looked upon him as if he were the only other living being in the world at that point. Alfred had ceased to exist for her, and he could not help but beam at that, as well as her attention on him at that precise moment.

                It was, however, a short lived moment, which Alfred managed to break with a simple sentence.

                “You will have to learn to see others, as Rohesia is now betrothed.” Freezing as the words slid through him like a sharp and deadly dagger, his heart stuttered and Rohesia furrowed her brow, trying to work out what was wrong. As he turned to face Alfred, he caught the same movement from the woman beside him, trying to be in on the conversation she realised she had missed.

                A deadly as the blade in his boot, his voice was whip sharp. “What betrothal?” He wracked his brain, not remembering Kendrick saying anything to him of a meeting today. In fact Kendrick would be out at the market most of the day trying to set up meetings with certain traders that had caught their eyes over the last few weeks. Their stock both useful and intricate. It would be a bonus for their clans to own such items…but it meant the house had been vacant at the time Alfred had been in a meeting to gain a betrothed for the only woman he knew would be his heart for eternity.

                The smug, self-satisfied smirk upon Alfred’s face did not become him. “The betrothal I made this morn, with a male that will accept the goods her father had stored in the area as her dowry. He also could not care whether she can hear or not, only that she is of good stock.” Artair almost spat out his distaste at the males choice of words and Rohesia’s gasp almost cemented that, but he also knew with her present he had to be civil…but he could only do so up until a point.

                “Betrothal? I thought it had all fallen through?” Artair had to grit his teeth at the innocence of her question. Alfred had used words that made her sound like a breeding mare, and all she focused on was the fact she was betrothed? Aye, it was important, but the male had insulted her, and she ignored it…was this the way English females were treated by any male no matter their station? Shaking his head minutely, he concentrated on the matter at hand.

                Alfred turned his attention to Rohesia, ignored the fact he was staring daggers at him. If his look could have killed the other male, he would have gladly taken the consequences. A gentle smile creased the red heads face, and while it appeared nice on the surface, Artair was sure he saw the condescension in his eyes. “I gave you my word I would sort this out, and I have. I have managed to make the agreement, with so little a dowry, and they have agreed to marry within next cycle of the moon. It is quicker than we could have hoped, and allows for you to be well away from Edinburgh come the first signs of spring, meaning your mother will never catch you. You know how much she despises Scotland.” His tone spoke volumes of Alfred’s own view on Scotland, but as Rohesia could not gain that knowledge, Artair had a feeling he would be having two very separate and different conversations at some point in the very near future.

                One to a prick of an English pig, who thought he could speak in such a way to a lady, and not just that but act as if her lack of hearing was the worst crime possible. And another to the woman herself, to show her she was worth so much more than she obviously thought of herself.

                “I am to be married?” There was shock in her voice, and it had dropped to a barely audible level. He saw the incomprehension on her face, and as she turned to look him in the eye, the panic was hidden deep in her depths, but it was growing infinitesimally every minute that passed. He wanted to drag her into his arms, tell her that he would save her and protect her from anything and everything, but depending on the contract which had been drawn up, he would have to wait and prepare that speech until he knew the way he could gain access to her once more.

                This was most definitely not the end, as he was sure Alfred hoped. Nay, in fact, it as the complete opposite. It made him all the more determined to gain her hand. And take her from underneath Alfred’s nose if need be.

                Cupping her face between his calloused palms, he held her as if she were made of the finest glass he had spotted in the market only the day before. The sturdy material shatterable at the tiniest over movements. “I will find out the truth of this, and I will be back. Do you hear me?” Her nod was barely there, but it was all he needed to know that she was indeed listening to what he was saying.

                The snort had him turning back to Alfred. “If you think that you have a chance here then you are more delusional than I first believed. But go ahead and try, for nothing will stop this union.” Alfred was radiant with his smugness. Artair so wished he could jump from his chair and have Alfred out cold on the floor seconds later. But he would not let Rohesia see such from him. Not yet, if it came to it that it was the only way to make sure she was his, well, he was sure he would be willing to do anything when it came to that.

                Standing, he ignored Alfred all together, leaning down he gave the softest of feather light brushes of his lips against hers. She gasped and the opening of her lips was an invitation he had to refuse. Next time, he would make sure Alfred was not there as a witness. Staring deeply into her eyes he held them but a moment. “I will be back for you. I promise lass. This is most assuredly not the end.”

                She could only nod once more, and he felt her eyes upon his back as he marched for the door. Slamming it behind him to take his frustration out on something…anything.

                In fact, it was that very thought that had him heading straight back to his accommodation. Kendrick would most definielty be feeling his wrath over this turn of events. Cracking his knuckles as he walked, the darkness having descended to fit with his mood perfectly. In a daze he managed to find himself before the familiar door, and it was slammed open as the other had been slammed closed, Kendrick jumping from a chair with a large beam on his face.

                None of it truly registered. His fist swung and connected with flesh. Curses rained down upon them both, and they were both tumbling upon the floor, flesh hitting flesh, and cries of rage and pain flying out. It was only when Artair could once more think clearly that he pulled back, rolling until he lay upon his back, gasping for air as he looked at the exposed beams above.

                “Have you done now man? Or do you want another round?” Ignoring the words, Artair focused on a plan he needed to come up with.

                Kendrick obviously did not understand his need for quiet. “Because I was about to tell you the joyous news…” Artair turned his head, “Before you hit me square in the jaw.” In no mood for games, Artair only raised an eyebrow.

                “You, my friend are officially betrothed.”

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

227 18 23
-book one- The beginning of a long and daring adventure. All starting with a dragon, a girl, a gryphon, and some friends. As the adventure continues...
417 57 14
Aurelia Potter finds herself torn between love and duty. As the twin sister of the famed Harry Potter, she navigates a complex web of relationships...
701 133 49
A WitchHunter with a glorious destiny. An assassin desperate for freedom. A stable boy with a dangerous secret. A friend with a hidden family. A bro...
557 239 17
"Young Girls are told to be delicate princesses but you can be a warrior." ⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕ A warrior is born. Destined to be...