A Guardian's Fate (Book #2)

By heytheregisela

(BOOK #2 in the Secrets of Aristol series.) It's almost been three months since Elouise's birthday. Although... More

A GUARDIAN'S FATE
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
A Savior's Worth

Chapter Twenty-Seven

1.5K 201 47
By heytheregisela

"Awake yet, sleepyhead?"

Eldon groaned and stirred. He peeked one eye open and saw a beige ceiling that almost pulled him back into his slumber.

"Eldon! Seriously!"

"What?" he managed, turning his head and looking right at Leanne.

Leanne smirked at him. "Had yer fun last night, didn't ya? I'm just mad you forgot 'bout me. But don't worry, Snow and I are just fine."

Eldon gasped and sat up. Then he groaned once more at the dull ache in the side of his head.

"Whoa, slow down," she warned him. "Princess Elouise told me you fainted."

Elouise.

Eldon's mouth went dry.

He healed the king last night.

He healed King Philip.

Eldon glanced down at his right hand. Then he focused on the visible veins in his forearm that had glowed with a golden light. With magic. His magic. And his lips twitched.

"So, what happened?" Leanne asked, sitting on the edge of the bed. "She just sent someone to get me, and she told me you weren't feelin' good."

"I just forgot to eat," he told her. "Guess I did too much sword fightin' with Prince Henry and used too much strength."

Leanne snorted. "When'd you become a weaklin'?"

Eldon narrowed his eyes at her, but then he smiled.

A knock came at the door. Leanne told them to come in.

The door slowly opened, and Elouise poked her head inside and grinned at them. Then she fully stepped into the room, holding a bowl of strawberries.

"Have you ever had a strawberry, Leanne? Oh, if you haven't, you must try one of these! You will find none as fresh as these." Elouise held the bowl out to her.

Leanne plucked a strawberry from it and thanked her.

"You may wonder why I'm here," she said, setting the bowl on the nightstand. "I thought I could answer questions you may have."

"For what?" Leanne tilted her head and took a bite of the berry.

Elouise blinked and looked at Eldon. "Oh, I apologize. She arrived an hour ago, and I thought..."

"I just woke up," he told her.

"Ah. Then perhaps I should return after? Or shall we tell her together?"

"Uh..." Eldon rubbed his neck.

Leanne swallowed and glanced back and forth between them. "A'right, one of ya's gotta say somethin' before I lose my mind."

Elouise just giggled and stared at Eldon. No way was she going to say it.

Eldon sighed. Leanne wouldn't be mad. No, she wouldn't... right?

"So, King Philip offered me a deal," he started. "Said he would give Penuriam everythin' they needed. More food, clothes, and plenty of gold..." Then he stopped, figuring it was best if Leanne took that information in first.

Leanne squinted at him, holding the strawberry near her mouth. "He just feelin' generous?"

"Ah, well," Elouise spoke up, "I suppose you could say that." Leanne looked at her next. "However, my father has requested Eldon's services in exchange."

"Services?" Leanne knitted her brows. "Whataya mean?"

Eldon licked his dry lips. "Bein' her... personal knight."

Leanne paled. "What—you... you just decided that without... without tellin' me first? And w-what am I s'pposed to do now? Yer gonna stay here and I just... I just leave? Without you?"

Eldon frowned.

"You could stay as well!" Elouise suggested.

They both turned their gazes on her.

Elouise crossed the room, fixating on Leanne with hopeful eyes.

"No offense, Yer Highness," said Leanne, "but what exactly am I gonna do here?"

"I have heard from a dear friend of mine that you are a wonderful archer." Elouise smiled softly. "You would make a wonderful addition to the army. Perhaps you could teach the guards something new?"

"The guards?" Leanne chuckled. But when Elouise continued smiling at her, Leanne turned to Eldon. "Wait, she's serious?"

Eldon shrugged.

Leanne cleared her throat and faced Elouise. "His Majesty would just be a'right with that?"

"Why would he not be?" Elouise asked, her smile fading. "I could speak with the Captain of the Guard if you are truly interested."

Eldon leaned in closer to Leanne. "Sure would make for an adventure."

Leanne lifted an eyebrow at him, and he looked away.

"Just sayin'," he murmured. And even though he sounded calm, he felt his heart racing.

If Leanne stayed here, they'd probably never hear the end of it from Bolton. She was his only child, after all. Without her, he would be alone in his home. He probably felt alone now, and that was with the thought that Leanne would come back soon. If he learned she wouldn't be coming back—at least not permanently—well, Eldon didn't want to think about it, actually.

On the other hand, if Leanne stayed here, Eldon wouldn't have to miss her. The problem was that he'd have to lie to her anytime he and Elouise did something. She couldn't know about magic. It was dangerous, considering what Tea had told him before about Henry.

Really, Eldon had no idea what the better choice was. It wasn't his to make, though.

Instead, he reached for the strawberries and helped himself. Elouise played with her ring. Neither of them looked at Leanne while she thought about her answer.

Then Leanne finally opened her mouth, and Eldon held his breath.

---
Right after breakfast, servants prepared wagons filled with food and clothes to be sent off to Penuriam.

Eldon watched from the entrance of the castle, leaning against a column with his arms crossed. He heard someone approaching from behind and thought little of it until he heard their cheerful voice.

"Good morning, stranger!"

Eldon turned his head and saw Ivy. She might've been one of the few people he knew whose smile never seemed forced. So, he smiled back at her.

"Mornin', Lady Ivy," he murmured.

"Eldon," she whined. "Never call me that! Just Ivy, please."

Eldon nodded and felt his own smile widen.

"Are you excited about your upcoming role?" she then asked. "I think it's fascinating! You get to spend more time with your friend! I mean, it's supposed to be work, but I assume it won't feel like that at all!"

Excited? Maybe. Eldon hadn't decided yet.

"It sure is gonna be somethin'," he answered, nodding. He wasn't looking forward to meeting with the Captain of the Guard later. Apparently, the captain had plenty to say to him. Eldon could already hear the spew of hidden insults in a lecture.

"I think you'll do great. I mean, I saw how easily you defeated Henry. That was amazing!" Then she giggled and quietly added, "Ooh, once you are knighted, you are going to be Sir Eldon."

Eldon snorted and arched an eyebrow. "You ain't gonna be callin' me that."

Ivy laughed harder.

They heard someone clearing their throat and looked forward, facing Leanne. Ivy squeaked and covered her mouth, turning away. Eldon could still how red her face had gotten.

Leanne smiled at Eldon. "Sorry if I interrupted—"

"Not at all!" Ivy whirled back around and smiled cutely with her head tilted. "We are very happy to see you, Leanne."

"Oh. Guess that's good, 'cause yer gonna be seein' a lot of me 'round here."

Ivy's eyes brightened. "What do you mean?"

"Eldon ain't the only one stayin' to make the army better." Leanne winked at Eldon.

Eldon set his lips in a firm line and started to step away from them. He heard an excited gasp from Ivy.

"Maybe you can teach me something about archery?" she asked Leanne. "I would ask Henry, but I think I bother him enough with my antics."

Leanne laughed. "That should be fun. Sure."

Eldon reached the wagon and nodded at a servant who locked eyes with him. The young boy bowed his head and hurried back into the castle. Eldon lifted the sack used to cover everything. He lingered on the baskets of gold and almost reached out to touch one of the coins when he heard Leanne getting closer.

"Think of all that like... advance payment," she said. "That's what I heard Her Highness sayin' to Lady Fayre earlier. Anyway, we gotta work hard since we were already paid."

"Right." Eldon dropped the sack and turned to her. "Nobody in Ilsen's gonna be too happy 'bout this."

Leanne rolled her eyes. "They'll be happy 'bout what comes with this, though. And it ain't like we're still kids. Maybe we were always bound to leave. I sure would've tried my best at some point. Better now than later." Then she chuckled and shook her head. "Just never saw myself workin' for the royal family."

"It's a start to a new life. Don't feel like you gotta stay here forever."

"Good point. Work hard, save enough gold, and set off on my own. Adventures don't come free." Leanne brushed away a stubborn curl that kept falling into her face. Eldon watched as it bounced right back and smirked when she huffed.

"We don't really fit in with these people," he joked.

"Yeah, I know. But that's the best part of bein' here, right?" She leaned into him and nudged him. "Show 'em how wrong they are. Like that Lord Berney."

Eldon snickered. He couldn't argue against that. He didn't actually care about what anyone here thought. Still, he couldn't pretend it wouldn't feel nice to make people like Lord Berney embarrassed about judging him.

"Guess we gotta fetch our things and our horses from the inn," Leanne reminded him.

Eldon blinked and side-eyed her.

"Oh, what?" She threw up her hands. "Did ya really think Princess Elouise was goin' to keep us sleepin' there? Get with it, Eldon." Then she hurried toward the castle gate.

Part of him had already known. Hearing it out loud was something else, though.

No turning back anymore. He wondered how Tea would feel about this. It'd been so long since he'd last spoken with that mysterious voice. He still had no idea what Tea had meant by her last broken message. If only he could ask again. But he doubted he'd get any response.

And then he found himself grinning despite it all. Because the best part of everything? Snow was going to be spoiled rotten at the royal stables. 

~~~

Both of them are staying!! How are we feeling about that?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 125 16
Tribrid Series- Book 2 ********************************************* The Blood moon eclipses had bought more tragedy to Alexandrea's life than she co...
715 59 7
SNEAK PEAK! Set to be published on Amazon Kindle! Coming soon! **** A modern day witch has to learn how to navigate royal life while uncovering the t...
15 0 8
In the highly anticipated follow up to Magicals. Arabella wakes up in the hospital searching for the one person she needs most, Garrett. However, Gar...
11K 908 80
Book 1 of 2 Aislinn Jones has had a unique problem for as long as she can remember: her dreams. They are vivid and haunting, and plague her whenever...