A Guardian's Fate (Book #2)

Galing kay heytheregisela

(BOOK #2 in the Secrets of Aristol series.) It's almost been three months since Elouise's birthday. Although... Higit pa

A GUARDIAN'S FATE
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
A Savior's Worth

Chapter Nineteen

1.7K 193 53
Galing kay heytheregisela

"I apologize for us not having this conversation until now," Elouise said to Henry as they stepped into the hedge maze. "I had hoped to speak with you yesterday, but then we couldn't find Eldon and... I was exhausted after he left." With her mind racing with what could be hiding in those mountains, she didn't believe she could hold any sort of conversation—especially nothing this important.

"Which is completely understandable," Henry responded, leaning into her a little more. "I'm glad he is safe and well."

Elouise smiled up at him. "Yes. Although I will be honest with you, that gave me time to brace myself. I thought I would have more time to prepare before you arrived." She released his arm once they reached the center and walked up to the fountain. At first, she couldn't decide whether to sit for this or not. How would she be more comfortable? Did that even matter right now?

"Go on, then, El," said Henry. "Your prolonged silence is worrying me."

Elouise sat down on the bench and sighed. Prolonging the inevitable was never the wisest choice, was it?

Despite yearning for Henry's words on the subject, she was still tentative about sharing the details.

She cleared her throat and began. "Henry, you see, Aristol has fallen into debt." She paused when Henry gawked at her. "My father has asked for weaponry assistance from Arendice in exchange for gold. He was to give the gold to them in payments. The next payment is nearing, but we also have our own expenses to pay for here. If we fail to pay Arendice, they may—"

"Declare war," Henry concluded, shaking his head. He walked over and joined her on the bench, keeping his gaze forward. "They have a bit of their own war happening right now, though, between the royals and the people. Perhaps they would overlook one late payment."

"I cannot risk that, Henry. Prince Maximus' brother is ruthless and does not make exceptions for anyone."

Henry looked at her with a small pout. "Then what are you planning to do? Because I have a feeling that you have an idea and that's what you wanted to discuss with me."

"You know me well." Elouise eyed the guards walking past. Like with Eldon, she felt it was safer to keep her voice down and lean in closer.

"Well, do you see what I am wearing on my head?" she questioned.

Henry's gaze flickered once to the diadem, then his expression turned puzzled. She grinned at that.

"It would certainly sell for quite a lot. Wouldn't you agree?"

Henry narrowed his gaze at her. "What are you getting at?"

"The council would never agree to sell any of our treasures," she said, nearly rolling her eyes. "And I can understand why. Therefore, I was thinking... what if these... treasures were... stolen? But!" She raised her forefinger when Henry gasped. And Henry pressed his lips tightly together.

Elouise continued. "But what if we asked for the thieves to return our treasures. Yet, instead, they merely paid us back."

Henry scratched his head and turned his attention upwards. "Why would thieves—"

"Oh, the plan is a work-in-progress, Henry. I do not have all the answers!"

"I see." Henry then squinted at her. With such little space between their faces, Elouise could make out all the tiny flecks of green in his blue irises. She almost envied him for that. She did like her brown eyes and the fact that they were the rarest kind, but they came with such baffling complications. Unlike his that were simply beautiful.

"How do you plan on managing this, anyway?" he asked, pulling her from her daze.

Elouise fiddled with her pearl ring and hummed, looking away. "I was hoping you would have an idea?"

"Me?" He pointed a finger to his chest. "Why me?"

"You are far cleverer than I."

"Do you truly believe that? You know very well how much I despised my studies and education. You are the one who was passionate about learning and who can still recall most of what was taught to you."

Elouise smirked at him. "And you do not?" Henry hung his head as a means of answering. And Elouise gasped as she playfully slapped his arm.

"Henry!"

"Yes, I know I am a royal and I have a responsibility to know everything, even if I am not the next king. But it was a lot of information! I can't retain so much to save my life."

Elouise covered her mouth, yet her laugh escaped her anyway. Henry chuckled along with her.

And after a sharp breath, Elouise recovered. She put her hands on Henry's shoulder and rested her chin on them. Moving her head back slightly to get a better view of his face, she beamed.

"Nonetheless, I am so happy that you are here," she crooned, then she giggled when she noticed a pink hue forming on his cheeks. "I know I mentioned that already—" Then a bright shimmer reflecting off something blinded her peripheral. She immediately pulled herself off Henry and looked in the direction it had come from.

Standing atop the nearest keep was a figure adorned in black attire and... a purple rag... covering their face. The person was holding a bow with an arrow attached and the string drawn back, ready to strike.

Elouise held her breath and widened her eyes. She thought she heard Henry's voice, except all sounds and sights were drowned out until Henry also noticed the archer and jumped to his feet. Elouise exhaled and gaped up at her friend who was now shielding her and shouting for the guards. The guards had gained distance since they passed by during their rounds, and she could hear them struggling to get back to them.

The guards wouldn't make it, though. And the realization of that drained the blood from Elouise's face. Her body also felt limp from the fear crushing her chest.

And then, aiming right for Henry's neck, the attacker released the arrow. It was a wonder how Elouise managed to quickly stand and bump Henry out of the way with her hip.

"Elouise!" he screamed.

"No!" she shouted whilst raising her hand high. Though her mind was drawing blanks, her motivation was clear, and a single word broke through.

Stop!

Elouise wasn't sure what she had expected to happen aside from getting an arrow lodged through her palm. But when her senses fully returned, she was trembling with her hand still up...

And the arrow... the arrow was halted—midair—in front of it.

Before she could process any of it, the clanging of metal against metal rapidly approaching made her jolt and drop her hand. The arrow fell with it, landing on the cobble stone below.

The guards were finally there, surrounding her and Henry.

Henry.

Elouise held her hands against her chest and slowly turned, shivering as if she were freezing. Henry was already staring at her—fear and bewilderment intertwining on his face, knitting his eyebrows, and parting his lips.

They were ushered off in a frenzy, not giving either of them a chance to speak. The guards muttered to each other, trying to piece together what had occurred.

One of the guards held up the arrow, gaining Elouise's full attention. The guard—Lady Lori—was baffled by its appearance and explained how she hadn't seen any archer on the keep. She worried they were still lurking around, searching for another opening. This encouraged another guard to run off and warn the rest to be on the lookout.

Elouise could only stare at the arrow in question, too frightened to face Henry again.

And it seemed she didn't have to, because a few knights came rushing into the castle from the entrance. Their faces were pale and anxious. Elouise's stomach twisted with nerves of what news they had. After blinking her eyes various times, Elouise registered one of them as Sir Aaron.

"The town," he blurted, a stutter in his breath, "the town is under attack..." Then he paused, taking a deep breath. "So many of them!"

Elouise stifled her gasp by slapping her hands against her mouth. Lady Lori made a noise of disgust before ordering the knights and guards to assist in the market. She then grabbed Elouise and Henry by the arms, dragging them to safety.

"So many... of what?" Henry asked, unable to catch up with her speed.

Elouise froze in her tracks as a shrill emitted from outside. She halted them both, yet neither of them moved another inch afterwards. Elouise yanked her arm free from Lori and glanced around, her breath shifting to quick short spurts.

"Your Highness, we must keep going," Lori reminded her as she tried grabbing Elouise once more.

"No," Elouise muttered, moving away.

No, she couldn't let herself be taken to safety while the guards and knights, and her people, suffered attacks by whatever was out there.

Elouise had to go and help them. But she couldn't teleport from here. Therefore, without another thought, she picked up her skirts and ran off in the opposite direction, ignoring the shouts from the guard and her dearest friend.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

3.5K 47 36
Book 1 of The Royal Mate series Eleven years ago a young werewolf princess called Avalyn Castro was playing in her enormous garden with her best frie...
62K 3.7K 32
I am a ghost. A killer. A savior. A guardian. I am the vampyre prince. They think I was murdered by my uncle, the king - but I've been waiting, plot...
15 0 8
In the highly anticipated follow up to Magicals. Arabella wakes up in the hospital searching for the one person she needs most, Garrett. However, Gar...
59.3K 6.4K 67
(BOOK #3 in the Secrets of Aristol series.) A month after Eldon's knighting ceremony, things seem relatively safe and sound... until they aren't. Elo...