A Dash of Demise

By poltergeist_people

In the kingdom of Vanderdash, there is no more feared warriors than that of the Scarlet Guard. Protectors of... More

Ch 1: Goodies
Ch 2: A big bad Wolf
Ch 3: Isadora
Ch 4: Die.
Ch 5: A Doll Faced Demon
Ch 6: Ugly Thoughts
Ch 7: Bad Puppy
Ch 8: Demonic Little Liar
Ch 9: Flattery
Ch 10: Stupid Happy Dog
Ch 11: Cocoa.
Ch 12: Howl.
Ch 13: Wolfsbane
Ch 14: Darling
Ch 15: 20 Gold Pieces and 15,000 Silver.
Ch 16: Over my Adorable Dead Body
Ch 17: Old Man
Ch 18: Meeting of Big Bad Wolves.
Ch 19: Improper Filthy Dog
Ch 20: Picnic
Ch 21: Unfortunate
Ch 22: Who Wants to Kill the Scarlet Guardsman?
Ch 23: The Power of a Name
Ch 24: Rose Croissants
Ch 25: Vain
Ch 26: Really Very Drunk
Ch 27: Careless Things
Ch 28: Father.
Ch 29: As Simple as a Name
Ch 30: The Animal in Me
Ch 31: Calm
BONUS CH: Calm Red's POV
Ch 32: Death in a Bottle
Ch 33: Dreams
Ch 34: Thalia
Ch 35: Poison
Ch 36: Ten Steps Closer
Ch 37: Roses
Ch 38: Apple Blossoms
Ch 39: Vladimir Rossive.
Ch 40: The me Before Zander
Ch 41: A Beautiful Color
Ch 42: Serious
Ch 43: A tad More Inviting
Ch 44: For Now
Ch 45: Heal
Ch 46: Angel
Ch 47: A Ring
Ch 48: Utter Fool
Ch 50: Compromise
Ch 51: Lick
Ch 52: Beautiful Things
Ch 53: No
Ch 54: My Little Red
Ch 55: My Right to Maim
Ch 56: The Multiple Ways one Could Milk a Snake
Ch 57: For a dog you are not Terrible
Ch 58: A Bitter Brute of a Woman
Ch 59: Wager
Ch 60: Perverse Enough
Ch 61: Cream
Ch 62: Custard
Ch 63: Bedroom Voice
Ch 64: Not Cute
Ch 65: Savage
Ch 66: A Secret
Ch 67: Something so Unsightly
Ch 68: Rustic
Ch 69: What a Novelty That is
Ch 70: My Day
Ch 71: Beautiful
Ch 72: A Little Digging.
Ch 73: An Absolute Fool
Ch 74: I Hate You
Ch 75: Filth Dog
Ch 76: More Tyrant Than Leader
Ch 77: Julian Cheshire
Ch 78: Perfectly Fine
Ch 79: Apex Predator
Ch 80: At Least a Little Psychotic
Ch 81: A Safe Trade
Ch 82: Oaks can be Elegant

Ch 49: Common Knowledge

63.7K 3.5K 248
By poltergeist_people

Red POV:

The pack grounds were void of their normal volume and laughter.

My chest grew heavier as a few of them spared me a glance as I briskly walked through the center of the main village to where Zander resides, knocking on the door softly.

I could feel my own pulse fluttering beneath my skin.

The door opened revealing an agitated male, "It Is not time yet what- Red?"

I did not bother saying any sort of hello or offering an explanation of my arrival, instead I began prodding at him, my fingers skimming his bared skin looking for injury, "you are unharmed."

He was silent for a very long moment, "you heard?"

"A recruit was bragging about harming a wold near the south wall this morn."

"And you were worried about me, I should have thought to send message to you little Red, I am sorry."

I huffed, cheeks puffing, "I was not worried. If you were hurt by that fool you would certainly be unworthy of me."

He didnt smile or quip something back at me as per usual.

It was then I noticed how tired he looked, "are you well Zander?"

"I lost a pack member last night Red. While I was locked in my chambers alone I felt the link sever and could not even fetch his body myself. He was barely an adult wolf and taken so cruelly. The Guardsman who killed him was not clean with his kill as many of you are. the link broke slowly, it was utter agony."

I stood staring up at him, unsure what to do or say for a long moment, "it truly hurts you when they die?"

He nodded stiffly.

Slowly I stepped into the house, closing the door behind me with my foot as I wrapped my arms around his waist, my head resting on his chest.

His own arms wrapped around me, holding me closer as he took in a deep breath, "you cannot possibly know what comfort it is to have you here, like this, right now Red."

"I do not generally comfort."

Lifting me into his arms he nuzzled my neck, "it makes it all the sweeter little one. But I have a funeral to prepare for, allow me to stay like this just a while longer. Before leaving you for a bit."

Hesitantly I ran a hand through his hair, "would you like to reschedule our dinner?"

Zander's reply was quick, "no."

"Are you certain? I have plenty of pretty dresses, I can just wear a different one next time on a leas heavy day."

"No. There is nothing I would want more today than to dine with you. I will be back after the funeral. If you would like to visit the child she is in Isadoras cabin."

I hesitated as he put me down, "would you like company...to this funeral?"

He just sort of paused and looked at me for a very long moment.

His gaze upon my form grew Uncomfortable, "you would do that for me?"

I hummed, "perhaps I am just fascinated by your rituals."

His lip quirked up, "I would love to have you there with me."

Nodding I held out my hand, "very well, you may escort me then."

His smile was just a little wider.

My treacherous cheeks warmed slightly.

~~

Wolf funerals were odd.

They do not bury their dead.

The do not burn them.

No the wolf people place the dead body of the beast upon a raised dais of stone for some strange reason.

I peered at Zander from the corner of my eye as I stood beside him.

He was making a strange sort of speech about this wolf returning to the earth and becoming part of the nights sky to forever watch over their pack with the Goddess Luna, Lady of the moon and lover of the Wolves."

Some of the wolves were in human form. Others like the dead man, in wolf form.

They stay in whichever form they died in.

"And..." Zander continued, "with this death we are reminded to cherish every moment we have with those who hold our hearts. We are a people who live graciously long lives, although we should not take such a thing for granted, for even ours are as fragile as all others. Let him be remembered in not his death, but his life and the joy he brought those who loved him."

There was a chorus of howls from those in wolf form and Zanders palm rested on the small of my back.

I gazed up at him confused.

He whispered softly to me, "it is time for his family to have a moment alone with him. I will say my goodbyes and they will stay with him until the moon raises and Luna takes his spirit into her arms. Tomorrow morning we will partake in his favorite meal as a celebration to him. Then there will be plenty of wine."

Oh.

This is much different than human funerals.

Zander led me to a small group of people. An older woman and two men. "Daliah, Vernan. I wish there was something that could have been done." he looked to the yonder man, "Deblin, your brother will deeply be missed."

He nodded, looking beyond tired, "thank you Alpha. He would be honored to hear it."

The woman sniffled as I watched, "my baby..."

I glanced at the wolf corpse once more. The cut was crude and Zander was likely correct.

The wolf would not have died quickly.

I could feel eyes upon me.

Slowly I removed my gaze from the corpse to meet that of the woman.

She growled at me, "how can you possibly live with yourself. With what your people do."

I cocked a brow at her, "the man who killed him was not under my control of even part of my sector. My guards are not so crude. This was one of the kings guards. Barbarians that they are."

"You are all the same!"

Zander let out a low warning growl as her mate tried to get her to calm, her son reprimanding her, "mother. She is not responsible to what happened to Kondan. He knew not to venture near the palace. She did not cut his throat, another did."

If I had it likely would have been much less painful for the dog.

But, I did not voice this. "We all lose people we love.. Daliah. At one point or another they will disappear. And we all mourn in different ways. But I will say, anger is never the best way to honor those who loved us. I did not kill your sun, nor did any guard. He was nothing more than an over zealous recruit who right about now has likely drowned due to a buildup of fluids in his lungs."

There was silence as all four wolves looked at me, Zanders brows furrowed, "Red?"

"He was not suitable to be a guard and I had a new poison to test, when applied to an inanimate object such as a fan it will last for no more than three hours. But if any piece of flesh such as a mans left cheek came in contact with the poisoned fan the his skin would absorb the toxin and he would die painfully within three hours."

Deblins brows rose, "will you not get in trouble for that?"

I hummed, "they all want to kill me anyways I do this sort of thing at least twice a month. Now. If it is my understanding you lot are supposed to sit here with your deceased for a while. The sun is much to bright and I did not bring an umbrella to stay and chat. Farewell."

I separated from Zander and started off.

His voice drifted on the wind after me as he spoke to them, "Red is not a warm woman but her heart is generally in the right place. If you need anything at all during this difficult time do not hesitate to call on me."

Their response was lost to me as I continued on, Zander catching up soon after, "thank you Red."

"whatever for?"

"Not slapping her with a fan? Not pointing out how much more efficiently you would have slaughtered her son? For being considerate in your own way even though you do not understand our funerals processions?"

"I also did not point out that if it were me or mine who killed she never would have even gotten her sons body back."

"Thank you Especially for not mentioning that."

I giggled a bit, "I expect a reward of an extra apple tart during our meal for holding my tongue when faced with her rudeness."

"You accompanied me even though we both know you rather would have been doing practically anything else. You can have as many tarts as you wish."

I hummed, "have your spirits been lifted then?"

"I will feel this loss physically for days to come Red, but I find having you near is blaming to my wounds."

"Well of course. I am very cute."

He slid an arm over my slim shoulders, "the absolute cutest."

Oh look, he has become more intelligent since knowing me.

Although that fact is simply common knowledge.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4M 75.6K 86
BOOK #1 in The Fire series TRIGGER WARNING IN SOME CHAPTERS He leans closer, keeping me pinned against the wall with his hands on either side of...
27.1K 1.3K 13
"Help us, please." Smirking in entertainment, I crouch in front of them. Their heads hanging loosely, as if they couldn't hold their heads up. "Giv...
77.3K 2.6K 13
He went from omega to Alpha just in two days His family relatives are dead because he killed them bare handed? What if you did worse... I didn't unde...
3.8K 53 38
I would like to say a huge thank you to @cakeiplier for helping with progressing the story This story contains some sexual scenes (It doesn't go into...