The Art of the Corset (2017)

By AngelicProductions

RATED MATURE FOR GRAPHIC SCENES OF SEXUALITY AND DEPICTIONS OF VIOLENCE AND LANGUAGE. More

Prologue
Chapter One- Orphan
Chapter Two- Age to be Sold
Chapter Three- First Time
Chapter Four- Eyes Open
Chapter Five- The Danger of Black Skies
Chapter Six- What Lurks Unseen
Chapter Seven- History of Marth
Chapter Eight- Paris
Chapter Nine- No Way Out
Chapter Ten- Silver Spoon
Chapter Eleven- Those Who Gain From Lies
Chapter Twelve- Greydon
Chapter Fourteen- Deception of the Honest
Chapter Fifteen- The Snake Pit
Chapter Sixteen- Dark Innocence
Chapter Seventeen- Deeper and Deeper
Chapter Eighteen- Gestures of the Pure
Chapter Nineteen- The Change in the Air
Chapter Twenty- With Appreciation, With Malice
Chapter Twenty One- The Pain That Love Carries
Chapter Twenty Two- Barbaric
Chapter Twenty Three- Song of the River
Chapter Twenty Four- The Knight
Chapter Twenty Five- Old Ways of the Once Conceited
Chapter Twenty Six- War
Chapter Twenty Seven- Strategic Love
Chapter Twenty Eight- Union and Separation
Chapter Twenty Nine- The Burning Village
Chapter Thirty- Effects of the Unknown
Chapter Thirty One- Between Husband and Wife
Chapter Thirty Two- Ladies and Whores
Chapter Thirty Three- Fool Me Once
Chapter Thirty Four- How to Live Now
Chapter Thirty Five- Cold
Chapter Thirty Six- Transmutation
Chapter Thirty Seven- Grudges
Chapter Thirty Eight- Priority Over Desire
Chapter Thirty Nine- Freedom is Only a Song
Chapter Forty- Unwritten and Unsaid
Chapter Forty One- Return of Familiarity
Chapter Forty Two- Unintentional Truths
Chapter Forty Three- Forgotten Lechery
Chapter Forty Four- The Sheets
Chapter Forty Five- A Choice To Be Made
Chapter Forty Six- The Keeper of Harlots
Alternate Ending!!!

Chapter Thirteen- The Sweetest Of Hearts

550 31 1
By AngelicProductions

Withdrawing herself from the breakfast table, Evelyn made her way into the study where she would be told of her first duty by Joseph. Expecting him to be the one to linger in the doorway as the heavy oak slabs came open with a jolt, she found herself flushed with excitement, as it was Marth instead. He wore clothes that were far different than what she had witnessed him in before. His hair had been molded to appear far more respectable as his very body language had altered from depressed to proud. It had been as if the happiness that once left him so long ago, had now returned.

"You are well?"

She nodded, too speechless to conduct proper words.

"I worried something horrid had happened to you. I searched for days...but...-"

"I was not harmed, I continued my path alone."

He gave a look of confusion towards the ground before softening it to look at her.

"Do you understand how much I worried for you? I thought of the absolute dire circumstances; how you could be attacked by thieves or wolves even; caught in a dreadful storm or injured and starving. I prayed deep within myself that you were alright."

Walking closer to her, he placed his hand atop hers, not caring of the proper courtship of their time.

"To be honest, I was not sure that it was even you...until the ring."

She gave him a kind smile before withdrawing her hand-remembering the threat Terrah had given her if they were to ever cross paths again. Turning from him and towards the window that overlooked a nearby garden, she took the ring towards her eyes before playing with the band between her trembling fingers.

"Would you be truthful with me?"

Moving to face him, she nodded as she clasped her fingers together and laid them against her stomach.

"Is what I told you of my past...did it frighten you?"

With pure fear in his eyes that she would speak the dreaded three letter response, yes, she gave a kind smile before placing her hand on his forearm in hopes of easing him.

"There is nothing you could do or say to me that would make me think anything emotionally harmful of you. If anything, it made me respect you. To withhold such desire at bay would be an impossible task for any other man. Yet, it does not surprise me that you do not struggle with it."

"You think so?" He gave himself a nervous chuckle before crossing a friendly line and entering a more romantic gesture. "It is not easy in the slightest around someone as beautiful as you."

Just as her fingers accepted the space between his, the door came open once more as Joseph stood with a raised brow.

"I do hope I have not interrupted something."

"No. She simply had dust upon her cheek."

"Ah...I believe your cousin is searching for you." Joseph spoke to Marth as he gave a kind smile to Evelyn before closing the door behind him.

"Is there a connection you wish to tell me?"

"There is nothing but admiration and gratefulness for one another."

"You have met before?"

She nodded. "When I was upon the streets, he tossed me coin and then allowed me shelter. That was until his cottage was burned...with a man he saw as his father inside...he lost someone close to him...due to me. I pulled him to try to save him...but...it cost the poor man within the flames, his life."

"I am sure he does not hold a single bad thought of you..."

"I am taken with such a level of sadness I have never encountered within my soul."

"Why is that?"

"He told me of his wife. How he was banished from beside the king."

"He told you of that?"

Evelyn nodded but watched as Joseph's expression turned to content to pensive. Gathering the goal of the moment back in his sight, Joseph then requested her first job;

"There will be a handful of men joining our house tonight. One of them in particular is Jasper Wilmington. He is the younger one of them all, and the grandson of a great fortune...but he is suspected of being...in like with his own kind."

She glared with confusion.

"Queer, dear."

"Oh..." She nodded with understanding.

"He is currently holding a reputation for bedding women and paying them to say so."

"What is it I must do?"

"Bat a few lashes, charm him...and discover if he truly is after his own kind...if not, then end the night with a swift kiss upon the cheek-and do not give into his offers of you. I am sure he will offer you anything from money to a castle if he could."

"I will do whatever you ask of me." She spoke with a glimmer in her eye. One that told him that she understood her place, and was grateful that she had one at all.

"Your dressings are in your room and they shall arrive directly after dinner. I ask that you are present before they do so, if not, you must make them stare upon seeing you...keep their interests at high peak."

Nodding to him, she was then excused before lingering at the door.

"May I question something of your character, Joseph?"

"You dare be so bold?"

"I am a curious woman and would not wish to assume without fact."

"Then by all means, ask."

"You were with that man when I first saw you. I understand why you must be secretive with him...but...you have a family...you have a beautiful family..."

"And you wonder why I look elsewhere?"

She nodded.

"Do you ever pick fruit from trees?"

"Of course."

"Do you notice how sometimes you pick the most delicious piece of fruit that makes you feel warm from the nutrients and you close your eyes to endure it all?" She nodded. "But when the flavor is gone, you reach for another-expecting the same sweetness, but finding this one sour. My wife is the example of that. She holds a kind heart, but her pride comes before all else. She threatened to cut me to pieces if I ever embarrassed her or tainted our reputation."

"I am sorry for asking."

"It is calming to speak of it. I feel as though you are my inner thoughts that I can actually speak aloud....if you can understand."

"I do. You are the only one who knows my secret as well...."

"And I will keep it until my last breath, I promise that."

"As will I." She said as she turned and made her way into her room before shutting the door. Leaning over her bed, she used her fingers to quickly dispose of her corset before a voice cleared behind her. Turning quickly, she found a young woman to be standing in the attire of a maiden.

"I am here to assist you with your gown." She spoke with a kind voice-one that showed her age, along with her immature features and shy nature.

"That is not necessary, I have dressed myself up until now."

"It is suggested by the master of the house."

"Then I shall abide."

The woman walked near a part of the bed that held a part of the canopy in place. Sensing Evelyn's novice nature of having others undress her, she smirked while trying to guide her. "I suggest you hold onto something."

Upon doing so, she was jerked backwards as the corset came loose and eventually fell onto the floor, at her feet. Leaving her in her slip, the girl then turned as she disposed of that and was given another. Before long, she was then handed a bowl of water that was speckled with varied types of flowers.

"It is for perfume. You rub it against your skin...it lasts longer than anything I know of."

"Thank you."

She nodded before pulling another corset from a wardrobe on the other side of the room and then reconnecting with Evelyn. While tying her tightly, she advised for Evelyn to hold tightly onto the bed post once more as each pull felt worse than the one prior. Eventually, she had been dressed with everything and awaited her gown. Turning to view it as it was located in the wardrobe, her eyes grew wide.

"I could never wear that."

"Why? Do you not like it?"

"Like it? I would wear this and only this if given the choice....it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen." She spoke as she took the skirt of the dress within her hands and felt the soft fabric beneath her fingers. "But I couldn't."

"The Master of the house asks that the women here appear as purely beautiful as possible...."

"I would be terrified to spill anything upon it...or rip it...or even damage it beyond repair-"

"You should not worry, we have many who can remove stains and sew tears."

"I would not want to wish anyone the trouble."

The girl smiled. "You are very different than other girls, if I can be so bold to say so." Without another word, with only Evelyn's smile as a response, she then moved to the vanity and had Evelyn sit in the chair in front of the mirror. Pulling a brush from a nearby drawer, she began gently brushing Evelyn's hair before pulling it back to appear regal and then decorating the newly crafted braids with fresh ivory flowers.

"If there is anything else you desire, I am only a ring away." She spoke as she motioned to a porcelain bell that was placed beside her bed.

"I greatly appreciate your comment, of me differing from the others. I can see how they hold...their opinions easily on their expressions. I do hope I can find a place here without be gawked at as some kind of plague ridden creature."

"They do not see you in that way, they are threatened by you. Every man tore their gazes towards you, and away from them. They are not only envious, but filled with anger due to it. It is the a negative in being gifted with beauty."

"Why is it that we have to wait on her?" A familiar voice echoed through the hall before the bedroom door came open and Katherine stood beside Julianna, who was obviously growing annoyed by her complaining.

"Dear, you look stunning."

"Thank you, it means much coming from you." Extending her hand and offering a smile, Katherine escorted Evelyn down into the main dining room which was now converted into a sitting area with comfortable chairs strewn together with the most expensive of fabrics. Sparkling alcohol sat in buckets of ice as others were already poured upon a large table near the fireplace. As she entered the room fully, all eyes sucked to her as Marth took a double take before his mouth came open and formed into a smile.

"You look...ravishing." She spoke with difficulty as he could not tear his eyes from her.

"Thank you."

"This way, dear." Joseph spoke to her before pulling her away from Marth and towards the guests. Introducing them all one by one, she took note of only Jasper and remained dedicated to her task. As the other men were far too invested in their spectacles of politics and the alcohol, it was easy to tear him away.

"You are not promised?" He spoke firstly before she revealed herself to be unwed and untainted due to the lack of a silver band around her finger-a sign of monogamy.

"Is that the first question you ask a lady as a first impression?"

"Ah...you are filled with fire, I can see."

"I am simply a lady who has endured more than her fair share of men with unjust morals."

"I am a gentleman, I assure you. To prove it, will you be so kind to join me for a walk in the gardens? We will be only a moment." He spoke and pulled her towards the double doors without giving an verbal acceptance. Eventually hitting the ground outside, she found that the air had grown quite humid and although stars were bright above, the atmosphere had been uncomfortable to her. His harsh grip did not leave her hand until they were far enough away to be spotted by any one in the dining hall.

"You have grown my interest within a few sentences of speaking...and I am a man to attain anything that catches my eye."

"Sir, I...I believe you have me mistaken...I am simply after conversation-"

"A woman wearing red is never after anything but a man. You have a vixen's eyes, but the skin of a virgin...untainted-alluring." he spoke against her ear before pinning her up against the nearby wall.

"I beg your forgiveness, but I am not feeling well."

"Either am I..." He moved to expose himself towards her before she tried to leave. "Now where do you think you are going? You know very well the harm that can come to a woman's reputation if she rejects a man with great social power."

"I have no ties here...you would only harm yourself with doubt from others."

"Or discover what it is about you that does not quite fit here...."

"Please...allow me through." She asked before he held her in place and made it impossible to move by clutching her throat. Just as his fingers moved to the strings of her corset, he was pulled back viciously and thrown to the ground without much effort.

"What conjures in that twisted mind of yours to pursue a woman in the dark of night desiring such lustful things? Not every woman is easily attainable due to your name. I suggest you scurry before I tell my uncle of your forceful nature with her."

Jasper jumped up from the ground and gave Marth a look of fear before disappearing back into the dining hall.

"Forgive me."

"Whatever for?"

"For not coming sooner..." Turning her neck slightly to the right, he gained a good look at her neck to see a thin red line slightly bruised. "We should have you rest-"

"I am enjoying it here..."

"Enjoying it?" He asked with great confusion. 

"I am now." She said honestly as she placed her hand gently upon his. He moved his gaze for a single second before turning and hiding something from her view.

"Women such as you do not deserve to be in dark corners or begging on the streets...they deserve to be given flowers-" As he said it, he displayed the most perfect white rose that was untouched by nature or people in any way. Not even insects dare tamper with the perfection that it was. "Each day for their entire lives, so they can understand that the beauty they show is equivalent to that of a stunning flower-if not more."

"You speak as a poet...."

"I speak in truth...Evelyn-"

"What is your bloody issue?" Joseph asked as he pulled Marth away from Evelyn. "You interfere with my guests? You are lucky enough to be here!"

"He was forcing himself upon her!"

"Is this truth?"

"Look at her neck and there will be no need to ask!"

Joseph looked at her neck before shaking his head. "Forgive me, I find it difficult to trust anyone..." He spoke while casting a look directly towards Marth. "Come, we shall have you rest." He spoke while pulling Evelyn towards him and covering her from the eyes of curious onlookers. Assisting her to the hall just outside her corridor, she found how there had been an unnerving hunger deep in her stomach. And upon being left alone, she took it upon herself to not bother the chefs and search for food on her own. Upon doing so, she had slowly become lost as one corridor led to another one marked with twin doors that were not unmarked by anything to separated them. Opening several doors until discovering empty rooms, several pantries, and sets of stairs, she came upon a room that was lit with a single candle on the far end.

The candle cast a shadow of a figure laying in a bed with their hands on the stomach. A large canopy had withheld the identity of the figure, but due to the shadow, she could see it had been a woman. Her curiosity grew too great to ignore, as she stepped up quietly towards the bed and pulled open the curtains to see a woman fully asleep on her back. A bucket sat beside her, marked with vomit and dried blood, as a large vase of water was beside her, marked with bloody fingerprints.

Taking a closer look of the woman, she saw how her nails themselves appeared to be easily breakable as blood stained the tips of most of them. Her skin was marred with several cuts and scratches that appeared minor, but many in amount. Just as she leaned to gain an even closer look, she was pulled back by someone and pulled from the room entirely.

Not seeing her assailant until the door of the room had been closed and they now both stood in the hall, she gave wide eyes towards Marth.

"There is something I have been dishonest with you about...."

Her heart stopped as she feared where this conversation would lead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

282 7 12
Prepare for a whirlwind of emotions!!
66.4K 1.9K 21
*currently editing* mature content. a rewrite of a previous work.
15.6K 359 16
This was an imagine in my S.O.A book but two of my readers wanted it as a story so here it is. the following may be mentioned or will be mentioned...
160 3 28
🦋💕✨