Chapter Seven- History of Marth

Taking the bandage from her leg, Evelyn pulled it free to witness the progress of her wound. Amazed by the rapid healing, she saw her healer across the way and called out towards her.

"Thank you for aiding me."

"Of course. Marth has a tendency is picking those injured."

"If you wish for me, I can-"

"Do not even think of moving. You could gain fever from your wounds. I mean no harm, Marth has always been the kinder one of us. He carried so much in his life, on his back...and did not care just how many people stabbed him as he carried them."

"He has told me fractions of that. I wish I could understand deeper to his pain-"

"What is it you wish to know?"

"Those who go after him...why is that?"

"He was married to a whore before. She was evil incarnate and devoted herself above all. I loathed her from the second I met her, a moment I wish had never happened. But Marth saw the good in everyone-even someone as...someone like her. She hurt him in ways I thought impossible even by the devil. She took everything from him....lied about having his heirs, forcing him to leave the knighthood."

"Knighthood?"

She nodded. "He was the right hand to the king. He was given land upon gold and favor among the most powerful man in existence."

"How can a woman have a power so strong over ceasing that favor?"

"A woman's only power is what is located between her legs. It is the only thing men cannot get from themselves."

This comment forced Evelyn to chuckle, joined in by the unknown friend of Marth's.

"I do not understand his vow of celibacy, if someone did such things to me as that girl did to him, I would be...shedding my decency without a second care."

"Do you mind clarifying what it was she had done to him in detail?"

"It would take time neither of us have to speak in every detail, but I can speak of the most painful. But I warn you, it seems almost impossible to hold such evil."

"I require the knowledge so I can understand his pain."

The woman nodded. "From the moment they met, she had been only affection when desiring to gain something for herself. Marth had been the epitome of perfect before her. An apprentice to our father-"

"Your father?"

She nodded. "Marth is my brother...shared father...although he is a selfish bastard." She continued without furthering her statement. "He was learning everything brilliantly and was given a choice between blacksmith and knight-the same choice given to every boy during his primitive years of upbringing. He had chosen the valiant, as he always has. He fought for a handful of years, worrying his mother. During his time of dedicated service, his supposed dedicated lover had been bedding anything that moved. Producing several children and causing him great pain. During this time, she wrote him at the castle and spoke of being with a child, his child. It was a lie, but by the time he gained that, he was forced to withdraw his knight status and deemed a deserter."

"He would be hung if seen by any of the knights."

She nodded. "He gambled his life so much for that whore. His mother and I begged to find admiration elsewhere-as I am sure you see, he is quite a charming man but was bitten by the asp that was his wife. They married in secret and she then told him the truth of not having a child. He realized his mistake but before he could alter his commitment, she became sick. He felt responsible-as if he had been present instead of a knight, perhaps, he could have saved her. He speaks cruel of her now, but he does not resent her in any way-which is something I cannot fathom in the slightest."

"I apologize for the pain she has caused."

"I am appreciative, he deserves someone like you."

"Me?"

She nodded. "Who looks at him as if he hung the stars themselves and adores him."

"I-"

"If you dare deny, I will take offense. He is my brother by half, but I know him unlike any other. He returns the gazes you give him. If not just as equal, than in abundance."

The girl placed her hand on Evelyn's. "He holds a very complicated heart. One filled with love but also fear. He has found trust and love to be words of fiction and not action. I see your hesitation to him, I understand his silence...but if you care for him...you will not harm him further. I ask that if you intend to do so, to just leave."

"I would never harm him."

"I would wish nothing more than to believe that. But I think you would not even do it with intention. You are the kindest girl he has crossed with...but you hold something in you...something secret. It is not my burden to know and not my life to share...but...if it will hurt him...I ask that out of your decency and care for him...that you will leave him without further pain."

The words lingered upon her heart as she thought of the pain she could cause him if he found out her true existence. But her thoughts could not linger long as the front door came open and Marth stood with fish hanging over his arm as it was obvious he had just caught them.

"You worry me with such silence." He spoke with a smirk as the girl moved towards him.

"We are only speaking of ways to cause you to blush."

"I do not believe I was given the ability to do so."

"I recall a few times you have."

"You are nothing but a thorn in my finger." He teased as he laid the fish on the counter and the girl began to gut it, allowing the skin to fall where it may, causing a mess around her.

"I take it you officially met?"

"We did speak for a great time, but I forgot to ask a name." She called while focusing on her task.

"Evelyn." Marth interrupted her as he spoke her name with such pride. The sound of her name coming from his lips was soothing to her core.

"I am Winnie, most call me that."

"She will fillet me if I call her anything else." He teased.

"We should be dining within an hour. You should change her cloth." Giving Evelyn a gaze of 'your welcome', she turned back and kept to herself until dinner.

Sitting around a triangular table marked with a beautiful bowl of flowers in the middle, they all enjoyed the taste of fresh fish and a sauce that complimented the aquatic creature quite well.

"Thank you so greatly! I cannot recall a meal as great as that!"

"I suppose we must do this on a more constant occasion."

"And submit her to interrogations? And stories of us before we were wise enough to know better? I think I will spare her from such things."

"Did you ever imagine I like the company aside you?"

"I worry you threatened the poor girl to act as though you are kind."

"I would not do that to her. I actually do not hate her presence."

"I suppose that should be an approval, but instead is marking me worry."

"I believe you were born worrying."

The back and forth continued until everyone finished their dinner. By this time exhaustion had set in to everyone, causing them to fall asleep during conversation. When awaking later, Evelyn heard Winnie and Marth speak of emotional topics as their voices were quietly escalated, just enough to show passion but also consideration to her sleep.

"You cannot allow her to be involved in this. I allowed your story to be true this once. But what if she discovers the truth? Do you believe her to stand by your side then?"