Chapter Eighteen- Gestures of the Pure

Sitting upon her windowsill with both Joseph's and Marth's conversations deep on her heart, her gaze fell to the ocean beyond. The way the moon danced upon the water as the waved rippled when receding and then returning to shore. For a moment, her eyes closed to the thought of a life away from her current one. Upon opening them, she found a light near the center of the forest that appeared similar to that of a fire. Forcing her to move from her comfortable position, she quickly ran through the corridors and pushed through nearby doors before running to see the distress but ceased with her mouth falling agape. Large containers that once sat upon oil lamps contained several fireflies that lit up the surrounding space-giving the illusion of fire. Along with that, a nervous yet happy Marth sat with his hands directly in front of him.

"What is this?"

"You were correct in your thoughts. You deserve a man that would fight for you despite his circumstances." Moving to her, he clasped her hands in his own before cementing his gaze with hers. "I beg you never think I do not care for you. You are the only thing in this entire world that I find worth fighting for." Finding how she was speechless, the then moved slightly to the side to reveal a beautiful picnic marked by fresh fruit and warm pastries. The aroma along with the lights set the perfect mood-and the beautiful moonlight assisted as well.

"I did not mean to guilt you with my words, I was simply angry."

"You were not wrong in them. I want us to be as we once were....with flirtatious glances and unbreakable trust. I realize how this will not happen at once, but I do not want my past to ruin us."

"Either do I."

He gave a smile before handing her a silver glass that he then filled with an alcoholic drink. Placing her nose over the contents before drinking it, she could smell something sweet before the liquid came into her mouth with a perfect taste of peach and alcohol. Closing her eyes to show her approval as she let out a light moan, he chuckled.

"Do you happen to be hungry?"

"Starving. Ever since Joseph has been injured, the servants have left it up to us to eat. I am afraid to eat something of Julianna's. I do not wish to give her yet another reason to scowl in my direction."

Taking a bite of a large strawberry, Marth wiped his mouth as he was recovering from a scoff.

"Are you alright?"

"Do you truly not know the reason she scowls at you?"

Evelyn shook her head as she took another drink from her cup.

"Not only is she intimidated by your beauty, but she is jealous of my affections towards you."

"She has seen it?"

"I am afraid I am not very skilled in hiding my feelings for you. Joseph commented on them as well, as did Katherine..."

"I hope goodness in such comments."

"They spoke to me in rushed advice-claiming to be annoyed by our longing glances. It was odd though..."

"What?"

"Joseph had been supportive of my courting you and then as of the few passed days, he has...spoken to me as if he is attempting to persuade me towards another..."

"That is rather odd." Taking another drink, she averted her gaze and was thankful to the large cup that hid her overwhelmed complexion.

"Can I ask something personal?" He asked her as he was now positioned with his arm resting on his knee that had been at a slight angle as the other had been straight out, with his opposing arm supporting his weight.