Chapter Five- The Danger of Black Skies

Waking in the earlier hours of the morning, Evelyn found a sensation to come over her. Listening to this, she moved quietly from the bed before hearing something hit the dirt outside of her room. The sound itself was equivalent to a book hitting the floor, but it happened several times. Following the sound, she made it to the other end of the cottage-near Marth's room. Sliding inside his sacred space, she saw how he had several weapons lined against one wall ranging from swords to axes. Each form of protection had been placed as if it was almost on display, with a shiny head to them all.

"Marth?" Whispering his name, in fear of startling him, she called it several times until he awoke with heavy eyes.

"Is everything alright?" He asked as he sat up in bed, lingering with a yawn as he spoke.

"There are sounds..."

He smirked. "You awoke me for sounds."

"Sounds of intruders." She specified as the seriousness did not leave her eyes for a moment. Sensing this, Marth emerged from bed with a bare chest and cleared his throat as it was discovered he had been completely nude in front of her. As she turned with a spring blush, she could hear each movement he made and daydreamed he would pull her onto the bed beside him and deliver sweet kisses. Her thoughts were quickly ceased as his hand pulled her from the room and towards the front of the house. Peaking through the windows, he took a large log from beside the fireplace and then opened the front door with great caution.

Looking at each side before entering the outdoors, he mouthed for her to stay put and left her with anxiety as she listened closely as to what was happening. Silence filled the air for some time before the sound of grunts and finally thuds were heard. Her heart had not eased in the slightest as the only thing sounds heard were that of conflict. Discovering there had been no noise, she went to exit the house but found the door to come open with a large push-forcing her to nearly fall back. Luckily, the weight of the door held her up as she was hidden by the entryway. Swallowing quietly and trying to keep her breaths equally still, she listened as her sight became obvious of the men who now entered the cottage.

Two men stood with blood smeared on their faces and hands. It was obvious they had recently been in a scuffle as the skin on their hands was freshly peeled-as if someone punched a brick wall repeatedly. As the men turned to scan the house, she hid further between the door and saw how one man moved towards the kitchen area and threw the bowls onto the ground, causing stew to spray all over the floor. Another man had entered the back room where Marth's father had been resting, only to drag the poor man onto his knees in front of the fire-that was now extinguished. Watching as the men beat the man until he moaned with deep pain, her lip began to twitch before she clenched her jaw and watched the following moments.

"You refuse to behave." One of the men spoke in a direction opposite of Marth's father. It was then, Evelyn saw how there had been a figure in the doorway. Specifically, it was Marth. Recognizing his stance, he darted at the men before knocking one to the floor and punching him before being pulled off by another man. Not caring at all for his own skin, he then escaped the man's grasp before being swiped at by a dagger.

"You know as well as I do that this will solve nothing." Marth spoke, slightly out of breath.

"She is dead because of you! We all loathed you from the first time we laid eyes on you...and now, she is dead-because of you!" The man threw himself towards Marth, knocking him down and pinning him before beating him. Eventually, as he grew tired, Marth gained control and knocked this man out before being taken by surprise by the other. Using a string from nearby, the man set it around Marth's throat and pulled back-in an attempt to strangle him. Realizing it was up to her to save him, Evelyn emerged from behind the door and slid into the kitchen. Luckily, the intruder's back and been towards her, giving her an unplanned shield.