Chapter Thirty Five- Cold

With the closing of the gates, Evelyn watched as Terrah was placed in confinement, away from any other socialization. Her only accommodations had been a small cot that was the same consistency of the floor and a bucket for her disposals. Evelyn stood beside Marth as he locked her away from the others. Just before he withdrew fully, he was snatched by Terrah's grasp.

"You do not understand the pain she causes."

Marth stayed silent for a moment before turning his gaze to Evelyn, then back to Terrah.

"I can assure, you...I do."

Evelyn's own gaze fell to her feet as Marth walked passed her and into the hall where he began his journey from the dungeons to the courtyard. Following close and attempting a polite conversation, Evelyn became desperate as Marth was silent towards her. With a clenched jaw, he remained quiet and loaded up his own horse as she spoke of the weather and the latest book she read within the library.

"Will you be home for dinner?"

With a glance of wickedness, Marth kicked his heel on the side of the horse and it ran into the distance as the heat of the day rose to its peak. She returned inside the castle before being served lunch and then spending her afternoon with her nose stuck in a book. By darkness, a commotion fell over the castle as a visitor was spoken to have arrived. Familiar in description to Marth, Evelyn hoped it would be him returning, but instead, it was a member of his family.

"Marcus." One of the female servants exclaimed before bowing to him and he kissed her hand flirtatiously. When his gaze fell to Evelyn, he took a double take before then kissing her hand and raising to stand a few inches taller.

"I believe when we last shared space in the same room, you were on company of my uncle."

"Indeed. It is joyous to see you doing well."

"I was asked here by Marth, to be knighted." He spoke proudly. "The death of the King has rung in every ear of any villager-no matter the class or connection in society. Whispers come of Marth being King-as it is the people's vote."

"I was unsure how everything would be arranged."

"That would mean, you would be queen. A title, well deserved-if I recall."

"Thank you, Marth is not here." She spoke with pain in her words before Marcus smirked and nodded.

"I am aware. I was told to be here in the morning of two days from now...but...I was anxious to see here..." He paused and took the sight in before looking down to her. "Would you mind showing me?"

"Showing you what?"

"The corridors? Chambers? My sleeping quarters?"

"Sophia..." Evelyn spoke as an older maiden emerged and curtsied to both Marcus and Evelyn. "Arrange for our guest to have the grandest unoccupied room."

"Of course, your grace..." She gave an exit curtsy and then disappeared down a nearby hall.

"I suppose as they are readying your room...I can show you."

"Thank you."

Leading the way, she began in the dining room and ended near her chambers where his sight came across a mask that Evelyn had been looking at earlier in the day. The same mask that Marth had worn when he followed her. Giving a sinister smirk, he raised a brow before she snatched the mask from him and hid it behind her back.

"I recall those masks...nearly two years ago, if I recall correctly."

She nodded before pulling it back into view.