Chapter Thirty Nine- Freedom is Only a Song

Standing within the contents of her wedding chambers with her new husband, Marcus, Evelyn found her gaze to fall to the reflection that stood before her. A woman who was once fearful of everything in her path, was now ruined by all she forged through to get to where she was. Marriages, heartbreak, death, and now...a marriage to a man she could not love due to her heart belonging to Marth-despite everything he had done. With her mind elsewhere, Marcus could see her hesitation on their union and attempted to soothe the tension with a few drinks of alcohol, that she took without thought. Having finished half a jug of an unnamed liquid, she then sat on the edge of the bed, wiping her lip, as he sat beside her. Attempting to allow the moment to be romantic, he slid a piece of her hair behind her ear and kiss her neck, but found her to only become nauseous and move to a bucket in the corner, where she vomited several times before falling to the wall nearby.

"I do not suppose you desired this in exchange for the night of bliss you imagined."

"A night spent with you is all I desire, my love." He sat beside her, holding her hair back as she continued to get sick until eventually falling asleep. Waking up to the sun hitting her face, she rose to find the bucket absent her and a pillow placed for her to sleep upon. Without her knowledge, she realized she was now in the bed and that Marcus must have carried her after she had fallen asleep. Looking around, she saw the clothes of her husband on his side of the bed while a maiden had begun tidying up the room.

Now sleeping in a room that she did not find recognizable, Evelyn looked close to realize this was the house in which they hid from the pirates. Only, it was in working order. The creaking floors were covered with thick animal rugs and lavish fireplaces that only accented the rooms. Chandeliers colored gold hung overhead as large windows showed the water nearby. The size of the house was a third of the castle belonging to Marth, but somehow felt more like home.

Creeping down to breakfast at the medium size table that was set for only her, she saw Julianna in the kitchen and called to her before being joined by her sister in law.

"Where is Marcus?"

Julianna brushed flour that was on her hand, then onto her forehead before gaining her breath. "He has gone to the local woodsman to retrieve items for the child such as a crib."

Evelyn smiled at the thought before Julianna took a seat diagonal from her. "If there is anything you request, you only have to ask."

"You have already done so much, I cannot imagine having done this without you."

Julianna smiled before returning to the kitchen to finish breakfast. Two other servants were employed on the land, one working specifically upon the outdoors, and the other inside-who was a young girl, covered in insecurities as she never made eye contact. She would only organize what was requested or polish was was expected, and would disappear to her own chambers that were in a small cabin that was placed just before the line of the forest.

The decor remaining on the inside of her new house had been warming as the scent of vanilla and cinnamon filled the air as she took deep breaths. While sitting in her chair and awaiting breakfast, she could feel something jolt inside her stomach, causing her to slightly gasp. Feeling it again, she placed her hand on the spot, before realizing the child had kicked her. Her expression immediately filled with tears as she kept her hand on the spot and showed Julianna how emerged with her meal.

Upon finishing and making her way to her room, she found it relaxing as the air around was not filled with the sounds of knight's armor or even the commotion of those training for war. Instead, it was filled with birds nearby and the sound of her own breath and footsteps. When making it to her room, she closed her door and made her way to her wardrobe to search for her favorite books that she had hidden away from Marcus, as he did not prefer for her to spend her time reading. When coming across one, she turned and dropped it as her neck was immediately grabbed by a collection of clammy fingers that pushed her against a nearby wall. Her feet were raised from the ground as the nightmarish grin of Adams looked back at her as her heart stopped. His grip only grew harder and harder as she could feel the air leaving her body and her attempts growing futile as he was stronger. Just before passing out completely, a knife was brought out as he was now fully against her stomach.