Chapter Thirty Seven- Grudges

Sitting beside Marth in their oversized golden thrones that were embedded with the brightest red satin and royal crest details, Evelyn found her grasp to be tight on the arm of her throne. As those came to Marth to celebrate his recent acceptance as their King, she could only bring herself to show an empty smile while her eyes were glazed over and the thoughts of when Marcus kissed her occupied her thoughts. It was different than Marth, it was not equivalent to style or length or even passion, but...she found it comforting. Villagers knelt at Marth's feet while they offered gifts of their livelihood from animals dead from a recent kill to custom swords with his name engraved on the blade. Women with offers of their lustful services wore low cut corset dresses that had been designed to be see-through-therefore, leaving little to the imagination. Men would then offer their services as knights at his side, and were often told to return on the next day to be evaluated by his right-hand knight; Marcus.

When Marcus emerged from a door beside the thrones, carrying a sword in his hand and then handing it to the Marth, he moved to his knees while his eyes moved back and forth from Evelyn to the shoes of his newly appointed king.

"A hero is defined by the times he rises from failure, not his successes, and the epitome of this, is the man I appoint as my white knight. Marcus, not only family, but now brothers in blood. We shall offer this village and those surrounding it, protection and safety. You are thee knighted as first knight beside the king, you agree to offer your life for his, and above all else, comply with his orders for you."

"Yes." Marcus spoke as Marth then placed the blade upon his shoulder just enough to touch his fabric before lifting it to the other side.

"You are now knighted." Marth spoke as he rose and gave a polite bow to the king and queen before then leaving the room as the servants followed.

Evelyn followed Marth as he moved to their chambers and entered with a forceful hand upon the door. Having it slam hard against the wall, Evelyn shut it gracefully before turning to find him hovering over the bed, his grasp on the poles which held up the canopy, and his gaze on the sheets that were pressed fine by the maidens.

"I feel as though this is all a mistake..." Marth spoke in a low tone as he turned to her and she saw the fear in his eyes. "I fought beside a king more wicked than any other in history, a man who filleted his own son before his enemies as a sign of peace-out of fear of losing his home...I fear I will become that."

"Your highness, this will not be an easy road to lead, but you will not have to do it alone." Bringing her hand to his arm and gently setting it the exact center between his wrist and elbow, she expected him to pull away, but instead, he gripped her hand. Squeezing it gently, he pulled her into him as she crashed hard against his chest and his strong arms swallowing her in a forced embrace. Feeling his lips then move to hers, she allowed a few kisses before then feeling his hand trace down her hip and land upon her butt, cupping it as he pulled her into him and walked back onto the bed. Gripping the back of her neck as he gave passionate kisses on her neck, she then allowed a gentle push on his shoulder, but found he did not ease his force. Pushing harder in hopes of freeing herself, he suddenly turned her over so her stomach was facing the bed and pulled up the back of her dress, just as the first man she had ever been with had done-with the same force, and same wicked groan of lust. Just before penetration, he pulled himself back and she ran from him, with one strap hanging from her shoulder and her dress slightly torn near the leg during the struggle. As she moved quickly to escape, she collide with Marcus before realizing she knocked a book from his hands.

"My queen!" He exclaimed before seeing the extent of her peril. Glaring at her appearance to see her disheveled hair and torn clothes, he pulled her to her feet and analyzed her fully. "What is it that he has done to you?" He asked with genuine concern in his words as the sound of heavy armored steps that belonged to the king's men hummed down the corridor. In a quick motion, he pulled her into a darkened divot that held their location from those seeking them. "Did he put his hands on you?"