Chapter Twenty Five- Old Ways of the Once Conceited

With the sounds of her steps echoing upon the hard stone floor, Evelyn walked forward with a large smile upon her mouth. A perfect white rose sat in her grasp as she turned the corners until coming to the chambers in which Marth had been staying. The room itself had been decorated in a dark wood and piercing gold that accented everything beautifully. The bed that was located towards the left side of the room was covered by a crimson canopy along with a fireplace in the direct center. For a moment, she reminisced of when they had first met and he cared for her before a fireplace. Smirking at the thought, she turned to then see as Marth was standing before a mirror with a male dresser who was taking measurements of him.

"Good morning the most beautiful woman alive." He spoke as he saw her reflection in the mirror in front of him. Walking towards him, she placed a sweet kiss upon his cheek before holding up the flower.

"Thank you. It is flawlessly perfect."

"I agree." He said as he did not take his eyes from her for a short while. Blushing at his heavy gaze, she placed her expression towards the ground as she angled her nose towards the petals and gave a soft inhale, taking in the beautiful floral scent.

"It appears you have been greatly missed by the King. He has called for the most exquisite dancers and those who hold most talent in music...even arranged for men and women to be here from all corners-all royal standings."

"I do not wish to speak of such things in repetition..." He looked to the dresser as he then dismissed himself as he saw Marth's gaze. Upon his absence, Marth began to speak. "Amelia had wronged all here...I was seen as pure before her. Referred to as the "white knight"...when I took her as my own, she changed me. I became conceited and arrogant along with cruel and selfish."

"I do not believe you could ever be such things." She said upon placing a soft touch to his cheek.

"I am afraid it is the truth, when I heard of her plan to assassinate my brother, I asked the King to exile her, and he did without second thought. When my brother died, I...I felt guilt for being with the woman he loved."

"You cannot withdraw decisions of the past, Marth. You can only know to not make the same one twice."

"I do. I am still heavy with guilt. He died believing me a traitor."

She hesitated for a moment as she searched for the proper words to use. "I do know that you should not feel guilt of who you are now."

"Why is that?"

"The river folks, they adore you. The light in their eyes as they had seen you and the sadness upon your leave. You are a true hero to them. A song has been given in your honor."

He took her face close to his by placing two hands upon her cheeks and delivering a sweet kiss onto her lips. When pulling back, he exhaled and rested his forehead upon hers.

"I beg for you to remember that when you hear things of me. I had done things I am not proud to announce. I hope you still find that goodness in me."

Pulling his gaze to hers by a gentle touch, she placed a gentle kiss on his lips before standing back to look into his eyes.

"You possess too much good to have evil in you. I know darkness, Marth-you do not have the capacity to hold both that and the heart you do..."

"Come..." He said as he pulled her into a passionate kiss. Resting his hands along her waist, he held her in place for a moment before moving his hands to her face, sliding his tongue against her lip and then into her mouth as she playfully slid hers against his. Upon the deep kiss, he then arched her head back and kissed her neck as she gripped onto his arms and began to breathe heavy.