Chapter Fifteen- The Snake Pit

With an unnamed man pulling her hand down to assist in her descent down the carriage steps, Evelyn stood frozen with a look of anxious fear that poked at her skin like embers of ash from a nearby fire. Taking a breath that was almost too deep, she followed behind Joseph and his wife before being welcomed into the brothel by Terrah. She had appeared different since the last time Evelyn had seen her. Terrah now wore shorter hair that was marked by a veil style mask. Observing her to make note of the changes, Evelyn also noticed how she appeared more slim. In a way that was not near the definition of healthy. As she moved to allow them inside, the very construct of her bones could almost be seen by short movements she made.

Making it through the door, Evelyn immediately saw Madame Belladoux standing at the bottom of the steps collecting coins from aroused men. Many had thrown the coins into the bowl she had been holding as each click of a coin brought Evelyn's attention towards her previous mother figure. Her gaze was torn when several women that she did not even recognize began to pull the men into rooms on the opposite side of the house and having them disappear. The women were then brought to a far room where men who would be paid for sexual services were then allowed the chance to act upon their own lusts.

Feeling overanxious, Evelyn excused herself from that room and descended down a slim door and into the wine cellar that she knew held the most effective bottles of alcohol. Pulling one from the shelf, she blew upon the label and saw it had been an import from Scotland. One of her favorite kinds. Popping the cork with a nearby nail that stuck from a poorly crafted shelf, she began to down its contents and closed her eyes as it slid down her throat. Drinking at least half the bottle before returning upstairs, she found the affects of the alcohol began to work slowly but surely. Beginning to feel slightly hazy, she moved alongside nearby walls with her fingers just tracing the paper nearby. Being seen by one of the girls, she was pulled towards a large bucket that was used for anyone to ease themselves of the heat. The girl was one of the nicest in Madame Belladoux's house, but did not seem to recognize the one she once called friend. Leaving Evelyn on her own to relax, Evelyn had then regained the majority of her cognitive and muscle functions back.

Deciding it would be best to find a liquid that was natural from the earth, she parted her way past several duos who had been in different stages of intercourse-not even caring to hide their indiscretion behind a closed door. Trying to get by without touching them, she eventually made her way to the back of the house where a hand cranking fountain was located. One she often used to fill buckets to wash clothes during her time as a resident. Lifting her arm quickly, she found how there had been a great strength required to allow it to function properly-something she did not possess. To her surprise, a large hand covered with a glove came over her shoulder and began to crank with no strain and water poured from the faucet and into her hands. Cupping it in her palms, she then angled her hands towards her mouth and drank as much as she could to not feel as dehydrated or nauseous. Pulling back and standing straight, she thanked the man before he just looked to her with silence.

He stood quite tall with his hair forced back by the mask that had been located over his eyes. His features themselves had been mysterious and dark-and accompanied with the darkness of night, made it impossible to gain a good look on him. As he stared at her for a moment, he motioned closer and moved a piece of hair that became stuck on her cheek due to the water. He placed it behind her ear and she allowed a smirk to come over her lips as she felt comforted by his touch. For an unknown reason, she was not threatened by him-and in a way, felt as though he was protecting her.

"Thank you once more for your assistance. I fear the frailty I hold within me has overpowered me by now."

He gave a small nod before walking her towards the front door to reenter. Just before pulling open the door, several voices could be heard nearby.