Chapter Twenty Four- The Knight

Early dawn awoke Evelyn as she found Marth hugging the last of the villagers to say their good-byes. Applying her own hugs to a select few as others ran to her in large group hugs, she was given small trinkets from flowers to figures carved from wooden sticks. Just before being lifted to head towards the castle, the woman who loaned her the dress had approached her.

"Be cautious." She spoke quietly as she handed Evelyn a small phial of a clear liquid. "The most lethal weapon a woman possesses is her art of seduction."

"Have a safe journey." She spoke while casting a look towards the couple before altering her expression and then making it into a large smile accompanied by a hurried wave. Retreating back into the crowd, Evelyn and Marth then left the river village and moved towards the castle.

Having half of the day to ride yet, Evelyn found herself not only sore but starved. Remaining quiet due to the fear of upsetting Marth, he had felt the rumbling in her stomach and stopped just outside of an apple orchard while allowing the horse some water from a nearby prepared bucket. Using his height, he withdrew two apples from the high branches, wiped them upon his shirt, and handed her one as he began to partake in the other. For a moment, they were silenced by the barbaric style of them both devouring their pieces of fruit. When finished, he then took her to a nearby bucket-one that was beside the one used of the horse, and cupped his hands to retrieve water. Having copied him, she had done the same, and basked in the crisp taste of clean water.

Moving back towards the horse, Marth moved to untie the rein before placing his arm out at his side-telling Evelyn to stay quiet. Letting out an agitated sigh, he placed his hands up before three men dressed in thick black attire, disguising their appearances, emerged from the trees.

"We just want yer coin-and jewels." The more masculine man spoke before withdrawing a blade from his side. "We do not wish to her the girl..." Motioning towards the money pouch on his belt-holding only a few pieces of gold, he threw it onto the ground in front of the thief before moving towards her. "And the ring."

Looking at the piece of jewelry upon her hand, she held it close to her chest before shaking her head. The head thief looked to his accomplices and then back to her.

"Quite a sharp tongue for a woman. One who doesn't know her place." Placing the dagger in her direction, Marth stood in front of her.

"Allow a fair battle between gentleman." He spoke as he placed his hand on the butt of his sword.

"Three against one?"

"I have handled worse." The men looked at one another before then charging at Marth. Pulling the blade from his belt, he lifted it directly in front of him, dodging the poorly calculated and rushed jabs of his opponents. While remaining guard of Evelyn, he managed to knock one of the men with a wound to the arm as the other two were attempting to poke until contact.

"He has a wrapped arm...we can get him!" One of the men shouted before using the edge of his sword and cutting directly where the arrow had hit him a few days prior. Closing his eyes to the wound, he was distracted for a mere second before lifting his gaze back up and seeing one of the thieves having taken possession of Evelyn. Glaring at them, he threw his sword at their feet.

"I suppose an honest battle would be too much to ask of lowly thieves."

"Perhaps you should not wage a battle when you are not prepared. Not only will we take your riches...but the girl too."

"No."

"No?"

Marth now stood with an angered expression towards them. Holding his shoulder that was now causing his fingers to turn red, he looked to her before focusing on them.