Chapter Twenty Two- Barbaric

Being thrown onto a horse and tied to the saddle by thick rope that began to rub hard against her skin, she was then embraced by the large stranger as he held the reins of the horse by keeping his hands underneath hers. She squirmed as his close proximity aggravated her like nothing else. Feeling his chest hard firm against her back, she realized that he had been far more athletic than her and would not be able to outrun him or be stronger than him. She then looked through the dark forest for any sign of help, but found the only hope she had was that which was fading by each second in her heart.

Several hours into the night, the man whistled lightly and the entire brigade of men moved from their horses, tying them to nearby trees, and setting up camp for the night. Using the saddles from the horses, most of the men placed them as use for pillows before applying the blankets that had been underneath the saddles, for warmth.

Watching them as she was then assisted down by the large man who was not harboring any care for her modesty, he placed her on a nearby spot before using the saddle to allow her a pillow, and then the blanket to remain warm. Unable to sleep, she found that the men around her had all fallen into a deep sleep as snores confirmed this. Feeling the large man with his back turned to her, she saw this as her only chance and although her hands remained tied, she used her stealth to sneak from the camp.

Running as fast as she could muster, she booked past low branches and fallen stumps before taking rest on the far side of a large trunk. Gaining her breath, she could hear footsteps follow her nearby. Holding her mouth to remain quiet, she closed her eyes before being pulled from the tree and onto the ground by a man with just enough strength to pin her. Expecting the worst, she tried to keep her legs together before finding the man to be familiar.

"Hunter?" She asked as he gave a smile and nod. "You are a part of this...this demonic grouping? You were one of the most trusted under Joseph's care!"

He chuckled before she was assisted up by the large stranger who was now carrying a torch. Applying his arm to her waist and pulling her close enough to be unable to fight, he surprisingly pressed his lips against hers. As an instinct, she moved to push him off before realizing she recognized the style of his kiss and the way he held her.

"Marth?" She asked as he pulled the mask from his face to reveal her guess to be correct. "What on God's Earth placed this in your mind? How did you know of the wedding itself?"

"Your maid. She spoke of Amelia becoming secretive and violent towards you. She was forced to return for candles and told me it would not be much longer until there was nothing I could do. Something you said to me lingered deep in my mind..."

"What was that?"

"You wanted someone who would fight for you above the world. Risk it all and even his life if necessary."

"Those novels were foolish to believe in."

"No, my dear, those people are foolish to believe in."

"What of your nephew?"

"Your maid told me of what Amelia said to you...about him being mine. The truth of it is, it cannot be possible. The child was born the first of this month...I have not been with her in over a year. It would be impossible for the child to carry my name-or even my brother's. I have no vow to keep...and I desire to be with you...and only you."

"What of Joseph and the Daniel's?"

"I asked someone close to keep Joseph safe. Until we can return."

"We can never return...not only that, but where will we go?"

"You forget, I had been a trusted knight..."

"That was true in your story?"

He nodded. "Forced to retire momentarily until my nephew was born-who now is not even my blood. I can return with the upmost respect given to us both. Nothing that can be used against us."

"I am overwhelmed...grateful, but incredibly overwhelmed."

"Allow you to rest, and we will then decide in the morning."

She nodded as she followed them to camp before being pulled off by him in a separate direction, away from the others.

"Where is it you are taking me?" Before she could finish her question, she was pulled against him and given a fervent and lasting kiss. Upon pulling away, they both let a deep breath out before embracing one another.

"I feared of being bound to him for the rest of my days."

"I would never allow you to be with another. I could not bear it."

"You will never have to." She spoke as he smirked. As she moved to kiss him, he retreated before pulling her back towards the camp.

"We have as much time as we need, but for now, you should rest. I cannot imagine the stress this has taken upon you..."

"You truly adore me."

He gave a relaxed smile. "More than you will ever realize, if you have not by now." Kissing her forehead, he then wrapped his arm around her before they had fallen asleep in a sweet embrace.

Waking to an odd sound, Evelyn found Marth absent and the nearby saddles to remain as the makeshift pillows. Upon standing on her own, she found one of the horses to be shot dead with several arrows upon its stomach. Moving back, she walked against a figure that had tripped her and she saw how it had been Hunter. Holding her mouth closed as she could then hear arrows being shot nearby, she looked around anxiously for Marth, while attempting to stay hidden. Finding an arrow to just graze her arm, she quickly began to run through the woods, weaving through the trees, and trying to dodge nearby arrows. Coming to a large clearing where the growling of wolves could be heard, she turned to find herself at a crossroads-but with both possibilities being death. Closing her eyes for a moment in an attempt to clear her breathing, she suddenly heard galloping in the distance and then saw Marth emerge through the woods. Seeing her state of being scratched by the branches and arrows, he gave an apologetic look before pulling her onto the horse.

"What of the others?" She asked as they rode past several men wearing uniforms recognizable by Evelyn, each pointing bows and shooting arrows at them.

"There are no others."

"Who would do such a horrid-"

"It was Joseph's guards."

"Certainly he could never do such a thing..."

"I would have believed the same at one time as well."

Looking into the distance, Marth quickly rode off until they were safe enough to ease the rest of the journey. Upon doing so, she found the only comfort being when her arms would wrap around him and his hand would touch upon hers, then his lips to tell her he was there. Although it had been a crazy few days, she was thankful to be with him.

Marth quickly fell off the horse with a wince as he clutched his shoulder. Evelyn jumped down towards him and saw how an arrow was lodged just beside his heart. Clenching his teeth as he tried to remove it, a nearby soldier emerged from the woods before speaking in a language unknown to Evelyn. The man then moved to Marth before he was carried off by several other men, Evelyn was then escorted as well. They were brought to a small village located high within the mountains. Houses made of bamboo and a river flowing direction through their village, it had been incredibly peaceful-but she was still unaware of who they were and what they wanted with them.