Chapter Thirty- Effects of the Unknown

Awaking with a jolt, Evelyn discovered that the servants had been moving items into her new marital chambers in the castle that recently burned down. Looking around, she saw how everything was in glorious tact. The servants she heard screaming had been passing in and out of her room with her belongings and moving Marth's. Taking herself from the bed, she ran down the stairs to find the people from the village had been eating breakfast and casting looks of curiosity and shock to the princess who appeared before them with disheveled hair and in the very nightgown only suitable for a husband's eyes. With many of them chuckling at the table, she found how a guard casted a glance towards the infirmary. Moving towards the room, she saw a younger girl sitting up with a large smile upon her face.

"Your majesty." She spoke in a cracking voice as tears filled Evelyn's eyes.

"I am so overjoyed you are well. I feared a parallel to that."

"Thank you for everything you have done." Her father spoke as he bowed to the princess. "If not for your selflessness, my daughter would have not escaped the clutches of death. We are forever in debt to you."

"That is not necessary, your well being is quiet enough."

"If there is ever anything I can do, please do not hesitate to request me."

"I shall." He gave a gentle kiss to her hand before she wished them a good day before then returning to the grand dining hall to see everyone staring at her. Looking around and seeing how the servants had become exhausted, she then looked to the village that was now only in existence in her memory.

"I offer you all work."

They looked to one another with unbelievably before many of their mouths came open. "The servants here work far too hard for the small amount of them, there is also need in the mines as well as the seamstress shops...and for the children...tutors. So they may be given a chance." Those who sat at the table looked to one another with great disbelief before rising and saying thank you.

"We are unsure if we deserve this kindness, but we will never forget it." One woman spoke as her two kids hugged onto her legs.

"I also vow personally, that you shall never fear for your lives again, and shall never go cold or hungry."

"You are an angel, your majesty!" Along with several other terms of endearment that were spoken in her direction, she moved around the table before claiming hugs from each of them-and then moving back to her chambers. A maid slid into her chambers with a look of great guilt upon her face as she refused to look Evelyn in the eyes.

"Is something wrong?"

"No." She said quickly before fidgeting with her dress.

"You may speak without consequence..."

The girl looked to the door before shutting it and leaving the princess and her in quiet quarters. "I am pained in guilty, your highness."

"Whatever for?"

"I came upon a cook...placing something into drinks...some powder. I fear it caused your dreams."

"How did you know of those?"

"You were tossing and turning all night. It was my job to be sure no one discovered what happened...what we did..."

"Why would you do such a thing?" She asked with no amount of anger in her tone.

"We were curious if you were...different under the effects of the powder."

"Was I?"

"No. Why is it you are not angry at me?"