Chapter Twenty Three- Song of the River

Awaking the next morning to find Marth well and sitting near the river with a bandage around his arm and chest, she ran to him and quickly embraced him-neither caring for his wound.

"I am so grateful you are well!" Looking around, Evelyn saw how everyone moved closer to them. The feminine members of this unnamed tribe of people had been gawking and Marth as some casted cruel looks of envy towards Evelyn. The male population had become enamored with the couple as they stood in close proximity with their fingers intertwined.

"You are not afraid of them?"

"There is no reason to be afraid." A woman spoke as she emerged from a set of people closer to the river. Dressed in a beautiful silk dress that covered her figure perfectly, and designed with a complete floral layout and plunging neckline-it was obvious that she had quite a persuasion over the people. "We are very grateful for Marth."

"It is a dreadfully long story." He spoke as he attempted to pull her towards the people, but instead, the other woman extended her hand to Evelyn. "We can tell you, if  you like."

"Of course." Accepting the woman's hand, she was lead down to the river and found several children to be placing flowers upon the surface of the water. Clearing her throat, the woman began to hum slowly to herself before several other members of their clan began to join in.

"Forced upon our knees with nothing but fear in our eyes, we prepared ourselves for the afterlife-but found, a hero to rise. Standing tall, before them all, claiming an alternate choice, he gave us hope, when we could not raise our voice. Sent to us as a savior in disguise, we are grateful for the kindness in his eyes. If not for him, our lives would have ended that night, but now we know, our future is quite bright. Now when a flame is lit and we join to celebrate him, he will be blessed by anyone who knows this hymn."

Evelyn became blown away by the deep lyrics along with the voices that had become so in sync with one another. Lifting her hands to clap, the lady then turned to Evelyn before pulling a flower from the water.

"Soldiers of the king had come to our village to withdraw our water-we believe it to heal others. We refused it, and were forced to kneel for our pending death. Children were bound alongside their mothers and fathers...and expecting to breathe our last moments, he rose against them and convinced them to negotiate a proper alliance aside from a slaughter. If not for his bravery, we would not be speaking today."

"Such a story does not surprise me. I know of his kind and generous heart."

"I believe anyone to know him for even a moment, could see how selfless he is."

"If you continue to speak of me so highly, I may never leave."

"Perhaps that is what we intend." Everyone let out a chuckle before one of the women looked at Evelyn from the crowd. The woman had been dressed far more elegant then the others, with golden pendents on her clothes and in her hair. Her face had been marked with a powder tint that was infamous for being made from berries and other things found in nature. She appeared beautiful and almost not belonging to the group surrounding her. Moving from the crowd, she then stood beside Evelyn before chuckling.

"Forgive me for my boldness, where on this Earth did you find such a horrendous piece of fabric?" She spoke with pain in her question. The very sight of the dress caused her discomfort before Evelyn realized she was still wearing the red dress forced upon her by Amelia.

"It would not have been a choice, if I had been given one."

"I would hope not! Well...I have something you can have."

Before she could politely decline, she was pulled towards a tent that had been made from the skin of a large bear. Within the tent concealed a comfortable cot along with a lantern and several maps. Perfumes sat on a small table that were of all different colors and sizes. Finding the final items within the tent, Evelyn saw a large trunk that had been buried underneath a pile of rocks.