Chapter Fourteen- Deception of the Honest

"Your wife?!" Evelyn spoke loudly as her voice echoed down nearby corridors. "You spoke to me with great understanding she had perished...but she lays a few feet from me!"

"Allow me to speak with you, away from curious ears."

"You delivered quite a story to me that day. I hold the guilt of the man you were close to like a father being on your conscience. And you deceived me for no grand reason at all."

"Please believe that I hold my own reasons for doing so."

"With that, I am needed elsewhere." Not allowing him the chance to snatch her, she rounded the nearby corner and then raced down the labyrinth of halls before coming to the garden outside. Hearing a thud similar to a dart against a board, her curiosity led her to a long stretch of grass between the edge of the rose garden and the border between the Greydon land and the King's forest. A man dressed in a dark crimson color accented with black rings, drew his arm back and let out a breath before an arrow was forced through the air with a thick jolt. Nearly startling her, she let out a gasp, which allowed the man to become alert of her presence.

"Lady Evie...."

"Sir Peters..." She spoke with a dignified respect before giving a small bow.

"Please, do not speak to me to make me feel as though I am my father, Adams will suffice."

She nodded as he moved aside to reveal a small crate that held several types of arrows. There had been colored ribbon tied to the end of the arrow so it would be seen to differ from his competitor's. But since he was alone, he had used each arrow to gain more practice.

"Have you ever held one?"

She scoffed in disbelief before regaining her manners and shaking her head.

"I did not suspect so...come.." He extended his hand and from a small distance, she saw Marth watching from the steps of the house. Giving Adams a smile, she accepted his hand and allowed him to control her as she took hold of the bow. His lips were placed just against her ear in a way that would be seductive to any other woman; but not Evelyn-not to a woman whose heart was growing colder by each betrayal. Leading his fingers over her right hand, he pulled on her hand gently and she followed his motion until she stood in the proper archer position. Upon releasing, the arrow went directly into the bale of hay across the space of grass. Looking at it with great concentration, she saw how it was directly besides Adams. He looked to her with disbelief before retrieving his arrows and accompanying her back inside.

Just as she crossed the threshold, Joseph stood with a set of crossed arms before motioning her to a private room. Allowing time for her to become comfortable on a small stool, he then walked in front of her before eventually stopping with great frustration in his eyes.

"How is it that you are feeling? Is your neck alright?"

"Yes."

"I am terribly sorry about...about not protecting you. I promised I would assist, and I only added to the pain."

"Sir Greydon, you have done so much for me. So much so, that I wanted to gift you something."

He gave a look of confusion before she rose to her feet. "My allies at my old brothel were hosting a masquerade...something annual and due to Madame Belladoux's health, it was postponed. Now, it has been told through letters and whispers that it will be tonight."

"What exactly is your proposition?"

"I propose that you allow your gentleman-even the ones with no regards to a girl, to become immersed with their wildest fantasies."

"Why is it you would do that? Does it not worry you to return?"

"We will be in masks, and there is one thing that place prefers above all else-coin. They will sell their own to profit off one night. Damage the minds of innocents, cause some to deliver children that they will never see again..."

"It sounds too painful-"

"I have allies yet, Master Greydon. Many who would keep my presence a secret."

"If you would be able to do so, I may just be able to win his family over yet...But...I must ask something."

She nodded. "With Adams...I demand you keep away from him."

"There was nothing romantic between us-"

"He is....easily distracted by others...and our dear Julia is not exactly a proper candidate for a wife. So I give a relaxed threat that you keep away from him."

"Of course, my intentions were never to do harm."

"I did not expect so, but it is not you I worry for."

Returning from the brothel with the feelings of reminiscing, she withdrew the basket from underneath her arm and set it on the table, directly in front of Joseph.

"Fifteen masks and carnations for your closest of repressed men."

Pulling the mask from the basket, he gave her a quizzical look.

"They must not remove the mask, or they will be forced to leave and the confidentiality is threatened to be exposed. They can take as many women as they desire, just as long as they pay."

"And the carnations?"

"If a man is taken by a specific woman, he can offer her the flower as a sort of contract to be his-and only his for the remainder of the night."

"I see...well...we shall be prepared by sundown...Are you sure of this?"

"I did not even have to step in there today...and tonight, I will be as mysterious as everyone else...please do not worry of me, Master Greydon. I am just grateful I could assist you for all you have done for me."

Giving a kind smile, Evelyn made her way to her room to dress before finishing her final corset string with the help of her maid. Having a flower placed in her hair, just behind her ear-presented as a white carnation, she was prepared to be escorted to the waiting carriage before being stopped by Marth who was hovering outside of her chambers.

"One moment." She spoke to her maid, who took the order quickly and left Marth and Evelyn alone.

"I am very late, I must be going." But she was unable to get past him as his physique blocked more of the hallway than what she could fit through. "I beg your pardon..."

"Please allow me to explain, Evelyn."

"There is no need to do so. You have your reasons and I respect to keep oblivious to them. We have no ties to one another-no matter what may have...transpired in our wishes or thoughts...perhaps I have just dreamed it all in one final wicked thought. Trust me when I assure you, that is not a mistake I plan to make again."

"Is everything well?" A voice called behind Marth as he turned to see who it was. To Marth's unhappiness, it was Adams, who held a mask within his hand and a carnation upon his collar. But as he was distracted by the intruder, Evelyn slid past him.

"Allow us to speak?"

"Forgive me, sir...but my business with you is finished. Carry on forward without my presence." Fighting the tears that were forming in her eyes, she followed Adams down a few sets of stairs until coming to the front of the residence. Looking back for a moment, she saw how Marth was watching from over a nearby balcony. Pain lingered deep in his eyes as it was obvious that the hurt punctured straight into his heart. Evelyn withdrew her gaze from him and was then accompanied outside by Adams and placed into the carriage along with Joseph, his wife, and a few other male companions that she did not know the names of.