Chapter Sixteen- Dark Innocence

Pacing back and forth in her room as she held the mask that Marth had worn a few nights prior, she thought of any potential reason in which he would have been at the brothel, as he had promised abstinence and purity. Along with this, the thoughts of his wife lying a few feet from him lit anger inside of her that would seem to never be extinguished as the trust she once had in him was now nothing but smoke. Throwing the mask on the ground and having is slide under her vanity, she discarded it without care before making her way towards the dining table for the morning. Expecting the entire spread of muffins and eggs along with tea and coffee and several food items she could not even begin to pronounce, she was surprised when not a single person or dish was in sight. Taking a moment to survey the large residence, she had found not as much as a rat running about. Making it into the kitchen, she discovered her maiden who was slaving over a steaming pot and wiping her forehead as she stirred rapidly. Coming up behind her, Evelyn saw how there had been long tears of fabric being spun in boiling water. Looking towards the hall as shadows were seen, Eloise followed the darkness and found the entire staff and family had been surrounding someone who was screaming in pain-attempting to conceal such noises by biting on a cloth that was shoved deep against his cheeks.

"My dear, it will be alright." A familiar female voice spoke as Evelyn pushed past the curious servants and caring family, before coming face to face with Joseph and Katherine. Joseph laid in the bed with a crimson coloring laying thick on his side, moving past his hip and curving just above the knee. A duo of healers moved back and forth, one cleaning the wound with alcohol, as the other had been mixing something with a mortar and pestle with a rapid speed. Eventually, his screams began to fade as the healer began to sew him shut after revealing the large laceration that was at least half of Joseph's height. Just as his eyes began to fade, Katherine turned and spoke to Evelyn.

"I would not ask this of you if it were not of the most utter importance..."

"Anything you need-"

"Grand! There is a flower outside of the stables. Colored white around and yellow on the inside. It is the only one with jagged leaves. It will assist his pain in leaving him."

"I will return as quickly as I can."

"Thank you."

Using the most speed she could, Evelyn snatched a basket from the kitchen and set her arm through it before finding herself near the stables. Scanning the bottom of the wooded shed, she eventually came across the desired flowers before picking them and placing twelve in the basket. Turning to give them to Joseph, she found Marth standing with a careful glance upon her. Moving the other direction in hopes of avoiding him, he quickly followed after her and made it impossible for her to pass. Growing aggravated, she gave him a look that she did not care to hide.

"What is it you want?"

"To speak to you...to explain everything-"

"There is no need to do so." Trying to maintain her composure, she moved past him, until he grabbed her arm-forcing the basket to fall upon the ground and the flowers scattering at her feet.

Groaning, she went to retrieve them before he assisted.

"I am growing tired of your late attempts to be kind to me."

"Have I become unkind?"

"You have lied, and to me, that is the most direct sign of disrespect. So let me through, Marth." Upon saying his name, jolts of electricity were sent through her body as the kiss also replayed through her mind. "It appears the only conversation we have is lies on your part. I deserve something greater in an alliance than that."

"An alliance?"

"Would you call it by another name? Anything informal would be disrespectful to your wife, who still lays inside with a shroud of mystery over her true story-and one I honestly do not care to know. There is nothing more I want to hear from your mouth...and I bid you goodbye." As she tried to move past him, she now grew angry enough to nearly scream.