Chapter Four- Eyes Open

Never in her entire life had Evelyn been filled with this level of excitement. Upon making her way to the market, she found at least twelve different vendors selling everything from clothes to food, and even some oddities that she wasn't quite sure the names of. Beginning at the cart closest to her, she marveled at the various colored scarves that sat pinned down with small rocks. Sliding her finger across the fabric, she imagined it upon her neck, as women high in society envied over her. The next cart consisted of fresh pastries that illuminated the air for miles. Displayed in all different sizes, textures, weights, and presentation, each item of food looked more delicious than the ones beside it.

Taking the majority of her day scanning the different carts and analyzing each item carefully, she had decided on a small but unique ring that she placed on the ring finger of her right hand. A thin silver band laid across her flesh, wrapping around in an uninterrupted circle and a crimson stone placed perfectly in the middle. Admiring the ring for some time, she became unaware of the darkness surrounding her as night fell overhead.

By the time she had taken notice, the streets around her became bare, with only those looking for trouble about. Feeling uneasy, she withdrew herself from the stone bench she had used to rest before taking the first corner she was able to find and making her way back towards the brothel. Although she knew a place for her there was not in existence, she thought if she could possibly speak to Lucille, she could stay and work as a real working girl. As she waited for Lucille to emerge from a window or door, she had been spotted by Terrah and her allies.

The front door came open in a quick motion, making Evelyn jump back in surprise. Seeing the look on Terrah's face of disappointment immediately made her nervous as she found herself outnumbered three-to-one and not very aware of her surroundings.

"What makes you think you can come 'round here now? Do you ask for death?"

"I wish to speak to Madame Belladoux."

"She is very ill, and besides, she has no business with you since this morning...so leave before I make you remember why you should have stayed gone."

"Please, just let me get my-" Before she could finish her request, a hand made its way firmly across her face. Keeping her face turned, the stinging sensation threw her back into a time that she had tried to forget every since arriving at the brothel. Closing her eyes tight as the memories tried to flood their way in, she turned back to find another slap on the opposite cheek.

"I was raised to be a woman of class in my profession. You are nothing but a disease on our name....you are completely pathetic and nothing but an illness to the eyes."

The other two girls that she could once call friend began scratching at her and pulling at her hair, causing her pristine complexion to become one of great disarray. Her perfectly heated curls were now hanging half down with hair pins sticking out from here and there. The makeup that she practiced since she could remember was now smeared across her face to appear as though a child had placed it on.

"What is going on?" A voice echoed down the street as Terrah gave Evelyn a firm punch to the gut-making her land on her knees. "Are you offering yourselves?" The voice asked louder as the man began to move closer to the girls.

"Coppers!" One of them yelled as the three belonging to Lucille's home ran inside and barricaded their door from the inside. Evelyn had been left on the ground trying to catch her breath as the man's footsteps came closer to her. Eventually standing over her just as she got on her feet, the man brushed off a piece of dirt from her cheek before looking around.

"Are you a female solicitor?" The man asked as he lowered his voice. "I can see with my own eyes that a woman such as yourself has been about at this time of night with no sign of companion...I am sure you know the penalty for such an act...Your soft skin would be wrinkled by the time you saw daylight again."