Chapter Thirteen- The Sweetest Of Hearts

Withdrawing herself from the breakfast table, Evelyn made her way into the study where she would be told of her first duty by Joseph. Expecting him to be the one to linger in the doorway as the heavy oak slabs came open with a jolt, she found herself flushed with excitement, as it was Marth instead. He wore clothes that were far different than what she had witnessed him in before. His hair had been molded to appear far more respectable as his very body language had altered from depressed to proud. It had been as if the happiness that once left him so long ago, had now returned.

"You are well?"

She nodded, too speechless to conduct proper words.

"I worried something horrid had happened to you. I searched for days...but...-"

"I was not harmed, I continued my path alone."

He gave a look of confusion towards the ground before softening it to look at her.

"Do you understand how much I worried for you? I thought of the absolute dire circumstances; how you could be attacked by thieves or wolves even; caught in a dreadful storm or injured and starving. I prayed deep within myself that you were alright."

Walking closer to her, he placed his hand atop hers, not caring of the proper courtship of their time.

"To be honest, I was not sure that it was even you...until the ring."

She gave him a kind smile before withdrawing her hand-remembering the threat Terrah had given her if they were to ever cross paths again. Turning from him and towards the window that overlooked a nearby garden, she took the ring towards her eyes before playing with the band between her trembling fingers.

"Would you be truthful with me?"

Moving to face him, she nodded as she clasped her fingers together and laid them against her stomach.

"Is what I told you of my past...did it frighten you?"

With pure fear in his eyes that she would speak the dreaded three letter response, yes, she gave a kind smile before placing her hand on his forearm in hopes of easing him.

"There is nothing you could do or say to me that would make me think anything emotionally harmful of you. If anything, it made me respect you. To withhold such desire at bay would be an impossible task for any other man. Yet, it does not surprise me that you do not struggle with it."

"You think so?" He gave himself a nervous chuckle before crossing a friendly line and entering a more romantic gesture. "It is not easy in the slightest around someone as beautiful as you."

Just as her fingers accepted the space between his, the door came open once more as Joseph stood with a raised brow.

"I do hope I have not interrupted something."

"No. She simply had dust upon her cheek."

"Ah...I believe your cousin is searching for you." Joseph spoke to Marth as he gave a kind smile to Evelyn before closing the door behind him.

"Is there a connection you wish to tell me?"

"There is nothing but admiration and gratefulness for one another."

"You have met before?"

She nodded. "When I was upon the streets, he tossed me coin and then allowed me shelter. That was until his cottage was burned...with a man he saw as his father inside...he lost someone close to him...due to me. I pulled him to try to save him...but...it cost the poor man within the flames, his life."