Chapter Two- Age to be Sold

Eight years later.

"Do you fancy some company?" Evelyn asked as her wavy hair followed her swinging motion, eventually landing against her skin. Her gaze promised seduction while her presence showed innocence-yet untouched.

"How much?" He asked with a deep interest in her product before she pulled him into the house she knew as home. One filled with women of the night and paying customers coming and going at all hours of the day.

As she opened the door in front of her, Lucille greeted the man with a large smile before two other women stood on either side of her.

"Take your pick, good sir." She spoke with a confidence that Evelyn was beginning to mimic. The man's eyes shifted to Evelyn before Lucille instantly pulled the man's attention to an older and available contender.

"I do not want her!' He yelled loudly before pulling Evelyn's arm. "I'll pay anythin'!"

"She is not one of our girls..."

"She escorted me in here, batted her lashes, and you expect me to seek my eyes on another woman? I desire her! She is pure..is she not?"

"That sort of question is not suitable for her. I beg your pardon sir, but she is not able to be your acquaintance. We have a fine selection of women...which ever you prefer...for half the coin."

The man's brow raised. "Half?" He slid his hand towards the African American girl and she then guided him towards the stairs.

"You are quite the catcher of the eye." Lucille spoke aloud as she took a pot from behind a wooden stand and began counting coins and placing them in small piles-having each one equal a certain amount of money. "That is the eighth one to demand you."

Out of blatant curiosity, Evelyn spoke with her mind instead of her sense.

"Why can I not become one of your girls?"

"Dear...my girls are tainted from rejection and have no paths in their lives. They are...lost causes. But you, you have this deep promise to be someone-"

"Who could I possibly be? I cannot do anything unless a man is at my side. Can you at least allow me to have a gentleman caller? Someone to show me this world that you say offers so much."

"It is so dangerous, my dear. There is nothing in this world certain other than desire and seduction."

"Then would it not be safer for me to choose a path with it?"

"For anyone alternative, I would agree. But you are incredibly gifted with intelligence and beauty...you will find a path right for you."

"What about Kiera? She was bought out from you...he buys her horses and takes her on splendid trips!"

"Kiera is a mistress...not a wife."

"What is the difference?"

"One is for status and the other is for lust. Kiera was bought by a man who offered an entire amount of alcohol for here. A continuous supply, as long as she remained only his."

Lucille gently took Evelyn's hand. "You are my beacon of pride that I am allowed to show without guilt or having to explain. Anyone who crosses paths with you, sees this-and that is why you will not be sold like an animal. You will be untouchable to anyone who tries...because what they cannot have, they will strive harder for."

Evelyn nodded before being kissed on the side of the head by Lucille and then moving up to her room, up two flights of stairs. Sliding open her door, she threw it closed behind her and laid face up on her bed with a grunt escaping her lips. Two of the girls similar in age entered the room with care on their expressions.

"Is something troubling you?" One girl asked as she was finishing braiding her hair that she would then wrap from one side of her head to the other during the duration of this conversation.

"I am your very age! I have been here more than out there, and yet, she does not trust me to be alongside you..."

The other girl chuckled as she continued sewing a rip that was present in her skirt. As the other girl joined in to laugh, Evelyn began to glare at them both.

"Do you truly not know why she keeps you untouched?"

Evelyn shrugged.

"You have a..." The girl on her left spoke with difficulty as the other one continued her sentence for her. "Soul."

"You have souls."

"Not ones as pure as yours. You see...we came here by choice...running from lives we did not want before. You were brought here in the middle of a storm with neglect in your eyes and hope in your future. You can marry someone to supply all this to you-and more."

"What am I to do until he arrives? Stare at the doves outside my window as I hear the screams of ecstasy on the other side of that wall?" She pointed to the one farthest on the room before the girls blushed.

"You are too hopeful." Lucille added as she made her way into the room. The other girls then stood as Lucille sat beside Evelyn. "You are fascinated with romantic stories that you attempt to hide as you know my feelings of emotions besides greed." The girls chuckled. "Love is a fool's game, my dear. Only those daft and inexperienced find it to be wise. It is only something that breaks us as women, and turns us into the worst versions of ourselves."

"If you do not desire me to find love, then why can I not be sold to someone to at least help."

"We have more than enough help." Lucille added. As she spoke, she began to cough and withdrew a handkerchief from her side pocket. Withdrawing it from her mouth, it revealed a crimson splattered cloth that she crumpled and slid deep in her dress.

"You are too ill, mother." Lucille's biological daughter, Terrah, spoke as she assisted her tiring mother to her feet.

"What will become of this place if you leave without a guarantee?"

"My girls can keep this place going as I have for twenty years." Lucille spoke as she coughed into her hand. Without another word, Lucille turned with Terrah and they disappeared from view as the other girls moved to follow.

"Can you remain?"

The two girls turned with great attention.

"I am far beyond the age of either of you when you became women of the night....Lucille is ill and Duke Vanyah has not agreed to finance here...my virtue could sell high enough if we supply it correctly."

"What do you imagine?"

"If I sold myself secretly. We would obtain the coin and then allow this place to be running for long after all of us."

"Why is it you are so confident with your own price?"

"I have been sought after for years. Lucille turned each bid away in fear of tainting me...but she has already done so by allowing me to be surrounded in this. I hear each of you, how you speak to your clients, how you lure them back one time after another, and how you gleam with pride."

"You cannot do what we do and believe in love. It is something Lucille has told us since we first arrived."

"For now, my only concern is the coin I can earn for Lucille. For all she has done for me."

"Then I suppose, we shall begin this secret auction." The girl with the braid spoke with a smirk of deviance.