The Tables Have Turned

By Monica4242

After having his heart broken by Hailey Tucker, the player, Alex Parker transfers to a new school as far away... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue

Chapter 7

230K 5.4K 734
By Monica4242

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 7

“Hailey! Hailey! Wake up!”

I gasped and opened my eyes as I sat up in my bed. My heart was beating violently and I was sweating. My breathing came out short and fast like I had just run a marathon and several disturbing pictures flashed in my mind.

I put my head between my hands and tried to control my breathing as tears rolled down my cheeks.

“Hailey?” Chase whispered with concern clear in his voice.

“I’m okay,” I whispered back, my voice shaky “Just a bad dream.”

He stayed quiet for a while then he wrapped me in a hug. I closed my eyes briefly as he comforted me.

“Go back to sleep, Chase. I’ll be okay,” I said after a minute when I was able to regain my composure.

“Are you sure?” he asked uncertainly.

“Yes,” I said convincingly and with one last look at me, Chase nodded and stood up.

“If you need anything, come to my room, okay?” he said.

“Okay. Thanks Chase,” I answered giving him a small smile.

He started walking out of my room but paused by the door.

“Do you want me to turn off the lights?” He asked.

“No!” I said quickly, surprising him. I cleared my throat and looked away as I spoke again.

“I sleep with the lights on,” I explained and his eyebrows furrowed.

“Okay,” he said after staring at me for a minute as if I were a puzzle he wanted to put together.

When I heard my door click, I sighed and allowed the tears to flow more freely. I guess I won’t be sleeping anymore after that nightmare.

I wish they were still here, I thought, but they are gone and I have to accept that.

I shook my head, trying to shake all these thoughts away. I took out my book and started reading hoping it will keep my mind off things.

It didn’t.

That was the first time reading doesn’t help me forget everything. One of Nicholas Sparks’ best books wasn’t able to stop my thoughts.

I glanced at my watch and sighed again. It was still 4:15 in the morning. I took out my sketch book and started drawing everything that was disturbing me.

The sun came up and when I heard some shuffling I decided to finally look at my watch. It was now 6:30a.m and my drawing was complete. I put the pencil on the bed next to me and looked at what I have drawn. I shivered and gasped when I saw how dark and scary my drawing was. I couldn’t look at it longer than a few seconds. A wry smile spread across my lips as I thought that this drawing mirrored my feelings.

I closed my sketch book and went to my bathroom to take a shower. Forty five minutes later, I was dressed and ready for a new day at school.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror and winced slightly when I saw that I look sleep-deprived. But honestly, I didn’t care about my appearance now.

I took my bag and walked downstairs. Chase and Emily hadn’t come down yet but Clarissa and Tom were already in the kitchen.

“Morning,” I said, smiling at them.

“You look tired,” Clarissa immediately noticed “Didn’t you sleep well?”

“I didn’t have a good night,” I answered.

“Why sweetie? Is everything alright?” She asked, already worried, making me smile.

“I’m okay, Clarissa. I’ll sleep better tonight.”

“Okay,” she answered still concerned “If you need anything please tell me.”

“Thanks,” I answered as I poured a cup of hot chocolate.

“What are you drinking?” Emily asked and I looked up at her, confused “You should drink coffee. You need it. Did you look in the mirror this morning?”

I cringed and chuckled. “Is it that bad?”

“Yes,” she said making me laugh again “Drink coffee.”

I grimaced. “I don’t like coffee.”

“Leave her alone, Emily, and stop exaggerating,” Chase scolded his sister.

She rolled her eyes at him and sat on the chair next to mine. After having breakfast, we drove to school but this time we arrived a bit earlier. The hallways were almost empty and I was pretty sure that our class had only a few students.

“Hailey,” Chase started as we were walking in the hallway to reach our class and when I looked up at him, he continued talking “Why don’t you go to the nurse during Music class?”

“Why?” I asked, confused.

“To sleep,” he said, sounding worried “You look tired.”

“I’m fine,” I said, waving a dismissive hand at him.

“You didn’t go back to sleep after that dream,” he said and I sighed.

“No, I didn’t,” I replied honestly “I couldn’t.”

“Why didn’t you tell me? I told you to come to my room if you needed anything,” he said.

“It doesn’t matter Chase. You couldn’t have done anything anyway. I’m just a wimp,” I said, trying to lighten the mood.

“You’re not a wimp, Hailey! You’re the strongest girl I know,” he said fiercely and I stayed quiet for a while.

“Thanks Chase,” I then said as we neared our classroom. He gave me a lopsided smile and pulled me into a comforting hug.

When he pulled back, I saw Alex standing behind him, staring at me oddly.

“Hey,” I said, smiling at him even though I was a bit confused as to why he was looking at me like that.

Chase then turned around and spotted Alex. They did that fist bump thing and started talking about something I wasn’t interested in so I decided to go in the classroom. Plus, Alex’s gaze was making me uncomfortable.

As I anticipated, only a few students were there. Surprisingly though they were all girls.

“Hi,” I said, smiling at some of my classmates who waved at me.

I went to where they were gathered next to Arianna’s desk. I saw an empty desk so I jumped and sat on it. The seven girls there were listening to Mariah talking about a dress.

“And it reaches just above my knees! It’s the cutest dress I have ever seen!” She said.

“Take a lot of pictures!” Pauline said, sounding excited.

“For what is the dress?” I asked since I just got there.

“My cousin’s wedding,” she said, smiling brightly “He’s getting married next Saturday.”

“Oh nice!” I said “I love weddings!”

She laughed and nodded, looking excited. I’ve been to a lot of weddings and they always make me cry even if I’m not that close with the bride and groom. Weddings are the most beautiful events. The flowers, the dresses, the smiles, the tears…

My thoughts were interrupted when Paul came in.

“What a pleasant surprise,” he said, smirking at me and I tilted my head in confusion.

He rolled his eyes at me and when he put his bag next to the desk I was sitting on, I realized that it was his desk. I become so slow when I don’t sleep well.

“Oh!” I said and he nodded his head slowly as if I were a retard.

“Stop it!” I said, scowling at him and he laughed.

“I’m sowwy,” he said, sounding like a five year old and suddenly he wrapped his arms tightly around me. I had a hard time breathing and when I was finally able to pry his hands away, I took in a deep breath and shot him another glare.

He smiled innocently then he pushed me to sit next to me on the desk.

“We won’t fit,” I said and when I was trying to jump down from his desk, he held onto me and kept me in place.

“We will,” he replied and sure enough we did but we were so close to each other so that we don’t fall off.

“See?” he said.

“But it’s not comfortable,” I said, crossing my arms over my chest “I was better without you.”

He gasped and put a hand over his chest in mock-hurt. “You don’t want me to sit next to you?” He said, widening his eyes. He sniffled and jumped off the desk.

“I’m hurt, Hailey,” he said, looking at the ground. I smirked and decided to play along.

“No, Paul, you know I didn’t mean it like that,” I said, trying to sound sorry.

He put his hand in front of my face and turned his head to the right, looking away from me. “Please, Hailey, just stop. This is too painful!”

Then he put his hand down and ran to the other side of the class, sitting in one of the chairs and looking extremely sad.

Everyone – including me—burst out laughing at him but he remained serious and sad.

“Hailey you are so mean,” Chase said disapprovingly.

“Paul is mean!” I whined then burst out laughing at the way I sounded. I sounded like a girl at my old school. She was one of my so called ‘friends’ and I used to hate her so much and her whiny voice makes me shudder in disgust!

“I sound like Ashley Forbes!” I said to myself and jumped in surprise when Alex burst out laughing.

“I hate that girl,” he said and I laughed.

 “I used to feel like slapping her in the face every time she talked,” I said remembering how much I tried to avoid her.

Something flashed in Alex’s blue eyes and he frowned. Before I could analyze what just happened, I heard Paul’s voice from the other side of the room.

“I’m sitting here in pain and all you can think of some annoying girl!” He said and I narrowed my eyes at him. He pouted and I sighed dramatically as I jumped off the desk. I walked over to where he was sitting on the chair and hugged him.

“I’m sorry Paul,” I said sincerely “Do you forgive me?”

“I don’t know…” he trailed off and I scowled.

“Whatever,” I muttered as I turned around and started walking back to where the rest of the class was, watching us.

He held my arm and pulled me back. “Not so fast,” he said and I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Give me another hug and I’ll reconsider,” he said and I gave him an incredulous look.

“No,” I said.

“I’ll give you a hug?” He suggested.

“No,” I said again.

“Yes,” he replied, opening his arms and moving closer to me. I took a step back but he took a step forward. I abruptly spun around and started running away from him. I heard his foot steps behind me and tried my best to maneuver my way between the desks. Everyone was laughing at us and my aim was to reach the other side of the class without him catching up with me.

I was almost there but I had to trip over the leg of the last chair between me and the rest of the class. I let out a squeaky scream as I tripped and collided with Alex’s chest. He immediately wrapped his arms around my waist to steady me.

“Thanks,” I breathed out and he gave me an amused smile making my cheeks turn red. Before I could do or say anything else, Paul came behind me and hugged me tightly, squeezing me between him and Alex.  

“I can’t breathe!” I wheezed out.

“That’ll teach you to run away from me,” Paul said and thankfully he pulled away. After breathing, I punched Paul’s shoulder.

He laughed as he pinched my cheeks making me punch him again.

I fixed my shirt and skirt while avoiding Alex’s intent gaze which was making me self-conscious. What was wrong with him today?

I didn’t have time to think much about it because Mr. Jack walked in and another torturous hour of math started.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heyy! :)

MY REPORT CARD IS TOMORROW AND I'M FREAKING OUT. DID THEY HAVE TO GIVE IT TO US ONE DAY BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS? :(

Sorry for that :$ I feel much better now though.

Next Upload: Friday or Saturday.

Aim for this chapter: 300+ votes (please vote! <3)

Have a wonderful day/night! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76K 1.7K 42
Josie left home to move to LA with her best friend Matthew when she graduated high school in hopes for becoming famous on YouTube but along the way s...
86 0 27
All her life it's been the same. Same classes every week, same dinner with her family every night, even the same fights with her little brother, but...
152 18 20
Audrey Harper is a 21 yeah old girl who hasn't been in school for a while. When she finally gets accepted at the college that her dad wished for her...
9.5K 236 10
-sequel for misguided- Long distance can put strain on any healthy relationship, but can Leslie and Colby fight through it? After she graduates from...