Last Hope [VERSION I]

By _lavendertee

**Ranked #510 in Fantasy** **First Draft** **Discontinued** Go to V.2 once it comes out if you wish! ⇻⇻⇻... More

author note
preface
|00| part one
|01|
|02|
|03|
|04|
|05|
|06|
|07|
|08|
|09|
|10|
|11|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|
|16|
|17|
|18|
|19|
|20|
|21|
|22|
|23|
|24|
|25|
|26|
|27|
|28|
|29|
|30|
|31|
|32|
|33|
|34|
|35| part two
|36|
|37|

|38|

83 3 0
By _lavendertee

Entered this book in the Wattys...yay! Wish me luck! ✌🏻️

Thank you all for your support, without it I probably wouldn't still be writing this story. I really truly appreciate every single time I get a vote, comment, or someone adds this book to their reading list. Love you guys <3

Picture above made by @krazydiamond in the Pre-Watty Interviews book. I loved it so much so here it is :)

ALSO: I've been told by people that multiple POVS per chapter is annoying (though they haven't read this story, I heard this from a thread) I want to know do you guys think its annoying? I'm trying to save as much room as possible because the limit is only 200 something chapters, and though I doubt I'll do so many chapters, you never know. So just tell me and I'll try my best to limit it.

I took out Myra's POV and decided to put that into the next chapter. I know I know. I'm going on vacation tomorrow and this chapter was A) getting too long and B) I didn't have enough time before to get it out, so I'm getting it out now before I leave.

Now, off to the chapter!

Thank you for #510 in Fantasy <3

 "Few delights can equal the presence of whom we trust utterly"

RUBY

The unbelievable statement echoed in my ears for a few seconds longer then necessary. "W-what?" I jolted from where I lay, my muscles aching from previous events. Had I heard Theo correctly, he wanted to join us? A Teran knight?

Alright, that wasn't 100% unbelievable, considering how an event such has this happened before. But to think, its happening again? It all seemed way to good to be true. Way.

"You heard me correctly." Theo flashed a debonair grin, and my heart melted.

Get it together, Ruby.

I rubbed the back of my head, flattening the hair that had been sticking up every which way. I cleared my throat, a challenging task, considering current events. I ignored the irritation and dryness as words slipped out of my mouth and into the air. "I'm afraid we can't take--" I coughed. "--anymore people."

Theo furrowed two thick eyebrows in uncertainty. His dark brown eyes sparkled in a wondering glance. In that moment, I wanted to curl up into a ball, cry, and make him forget everything I just said.

"Are you alright? Why can't you---" Theo held out his hand to me, becoming aware of the developing glossiness in my eyes. As he spoke, a short figure with blonde hair paced into his way, acting as my shield.

"You heard the woman! Back off!" Noah pronounced. "Or I'll kill you!"

Theo stepped once backwards, his sharp brown eyes still glaring at me. I sighed and wiped a trailing tear off of my cheek. "It's okay Noah, leave him alone."

Standing up was like a foreign concept to me. My arms ached as I lifted myself from the ash and dirt ground. I winced as my legs begun to hold my weight. They nearly collapsed beneath me if Theo hadn't rushed to my side.

"Thanks." I relaxed my shoulders as Theo held me upright. He smiled, showing off a set of white teeth., as I thanked him again. Well, he isn't too bad. He might make a good addition to the team.

Then again, he could have just been faking it. It was possible that he in fact didn't want to help, he only wanted to get into our plans and report the information back to the Empress. Anything like that was likely --- Teran knights did tend to be persuasive. But as I gawked at Theo's warm brown eyes, I felt a sense of relief wash over me. The way he looked, the way he acted, everything about this man made me feel alright.

Ace would be furious though. If I easily let him in, told him our plans, let him be apart of the Order, only to find out he was a traitor, he would be disappointed in me. I always trusted my brother's word. He was the only one I used to look up to when I was younger, the only one I could look up to. And I still look up to him. I would always look up to him.

He always said to watch our back for people who would want to destroy us. So I would do just that.

The concept was brand new to me, though I had always admired my brother's ways I had never come across an instance when I had to make an important decision like this. This was an important step to be the trusted and strong girl I had always wanted to become, not one who watches a child when her team is off doing a mission that could determine the fate of Tera.

If Thana, who was a weaker, quieter woman when we first met her could do great things, than so could I.

"No problem." Theo said, his soft brown eyes practically melting my heart. Oh, jeez! "Anyway, what do you think? Will you consider it?"

I straightened my back to the best of my ability and glared at the man at my side. I breathed in and out, focusing on the situation at hand.

"Yes, I will consider it." I said, thinning my lips. "I will think about it, then I shall confront my brother when he and the rest of the Order come back," They will sure be in for a real surprise. "but for now," I continued. "You will stay here with me. The slightest move, and" With a flick of a hand, a ball of flames emerged from my left palm. "I make sure you don't escape unharmed."

"Yeah!" Noah yelled, waving his chubby arms in the air in front of his face.

ACE

The sound of her words echoed in my head as I launched myself on top of her.

"I meant you!"

Now, what could that mean?

Before I could move from behind the fallen tree Thana and I laid behind, a surge of water rushed backwards, swatting the men shooting arrows with such great impact some fell off of their horses. A sudden, brilliant idea flashed into my mind. Bringing my hand to the now wet ground, I tightened my muscles and made a claw out of my hand. Yellow sparks left my body, traveling across the dirt water surface. They quickened, making their way to the weakened men. There was no way in hell they could survive that.

I didn't have time to ask Thana about it, not now when I had people to kill and lives to save.

"Go, run!" I turned my head to my companions, a heap of my wet light brown hair smacking my forehead. The others had been far away by now; not a horse in sight. Good.

"Thana, I need you to run." I gritted through my teeth as the muscles in my arm tightened, unleashing thousands of more volts. "Do you trust me?"

Thana replied with a quizzical look on her face. She was wordless; her black eyes widening and her red lips making the slightest quiver. Her thin wet hair stuck to her snowy skin like glue. I could practically hear my heart beating. 

"Yes." She finally answered. I wasn't to sure if it was true though.

It was the best as I would get, even as unsure as it sounded. I'll ask her later, that is, if I survive through this.

My muscles tightened once more and unleashed a few more bolts, shocking more knights. I sighed and turned to Thana again. "Then get out of here. I can handle this."

Her thin black eyebrows shot upwards, her mouth opening. Her expression was a mix of worried and scared. Scared for her, and scared for me."Ace, I'm strong. I can-"

"Please, I need to know that you're safe. Just go, okay?" She was growing stronger and stronger with each passing week, month, maybe year if we got that far. She would be fine if she stayed, I was sure. I wouldn't put Thana in harms way, though. Even if she doesn't believe me.

If I can survive through this, I will make her believe me.

 I relaxed my shoulders before bringing my hand to the ground once more. I was being drained, it was obvious. My body was weakening and I was paler than ever. If I keep on doing this alone without any back up, I'd surely be killed.

"You'll die if I don't stay." She finally said after a few moments, her porcelain hand hovering over my shoulder.

"You'll die if you don't leave."

A blank expression covered Thana's face.

"Leave please."

I watched as she got up, her thin legs shaking as she did so. I watched as the front of her black ballgown became the back as she turned away. I watched as her thin black hair whipped at me as she turned her head, the last glance she gave me disappearing. I watched as she stumbled before running away.

An arrow whipped passed the side of my head, and I knew I had to do this on my own.

I stood up from behind the fallen tree, gazing at the sight in front of me. few men now stood, about 15 or so. Other men lie bleeding where they were; whilst the rest had bled so much it was beyond healing. I dodged each arrow as they hurdled towards me like daggers as I leapt from behind the tree. Spreading my legs far apart, I brought my right hand towards the ground once more to shock whatever moisture was left. The ground rumbled below me as I unleashed the only bolts I had left before I had to rest and recharge. I screamed as the bolts spread across the ground, shocking its victims into a painful death.

A man with carrot orange hair and piercing blue eyes dodged the attack, releasing a large silver sword from his side. He ran towards me, yelling words I couldn't understand. 

What to do. What to do.

The lightening sword was in my hands in a matter of seconds, ready to kill the bastard.

I ran to him as he was doing to me, our swords clashing. No lightening would ignite --- no lightening would dance on the edges of the sword like it usually would. Looks like I'd have to do this the hard way.

 He pushed his sword towards me, making it hard for me to move without getting stabbed. I pushed too, but alas, I wasn't as strong as he. The man touched my neck with the side of his sword. With one swipe, I was a goner.

"Sorry, buddy." I grinned, taking my left leg and kicking him as hard as I could. He moved a few inches backwards, but the sword was still firmly in grip.

I winced in pain as I grabbed my right shoulder. He was far enough away I could easily run and stab him.

He dashed towards me again, the tip of his sword aiming for my chest. I stepped to the left, holding my sword in front of me. Tripping over a rock, I was knocked to the ground. Crap

"Sorry, buddy" the man mocked and hovered over me, readying himself for my ultimate death.

But I wasn't ready.

I kicked up, and with my weakening hands I managed to get myself off of the ground. He brought his sword towards my chest, but I blocked it with my own sword, nearly knocking it out of his hands. He flinched, furrowed his thick eyebrows, then once again tried the same tactic all in a quick second. My sword clashed with his once more, this time knocking it out of his hands. He turned his head to look at his sword, which thudded on the ground far away from where we stood.

Realizing he couldn't get it without being attacked, he narrowed his eyes. Immediately, he grabbed my sword and my hand and threw it to the ground. With his now bleeding palm, he punched my jaw.

I landed hard on the ground, my whole body aching.

I couldn't die now.

I wasn't ready.

He wrestled on top of me, keeping me glued to the dirt. Trying as hard as I could, I attempted to release lightening from my fingertips. I was drained. I was weak. I couldn't shoot lightening, not now. I had to find another way.

I balled my hand up into a fist and punched him in the jaw, only he didn't flinch. He growled, brought his large hands to my neck, and squeezed.

I could feel the air escaping me. No air came in, no air went out. I bit down hard, trying to swing another punch at him. I easily missed as my arm flailed like a noodle. It rested as my side once more as I closed my eyes.

I can't die. I can't die.

Darkness started to embrace me as my vision went blank.

The last thing I knew before death took me in was the large hand removing itself from my neck, and a liquid substance covering my chest.

BETH

Dust flew off of the book's pages as it was tightly shut, soaring into the air and gracefully falling to the table. I coughed and swatted the flakes of dust away from my nose. When was the last time Arthur bothered to clean his books?

"I'll be taking that." The old man said as he slowly reached over the table and grabbed the book delicately. Over the past few months his hair had grown out, his once short gray hair becoming whips of gray and white. He tightly pulled it back into a ponytail with my help, even though my hair had been short and unruly itself, and I never bothered with putting it up. "Thanks." I squeaked as Arthur gently placed the book in its proper place in the shelf, the bare spot in it being filled once more.

Arthur turned away from the shelf, pushing his spectacles back into place. "Was it an interesting read?"

"I suppose." I shrugged my shoulders. "Much more pleasurable than reading novels about various china pieces and other useless things that are usually kept in the castle's library."

Arthur's laugh was hearty and lively, as his laughs always were. I never did find what I said was humorous, but I couldn't say the same for the 65 year old gentleman in my presence. "I can't help but agree with that."

I gave a half hearted smile as I curiously observed Arthur scribbling down notes.

"What was it about?" He asked, not looking away from the task at hand. I blinked and cleared my throat, caught off guard by his words.

"O-oh. It was about the NonElemen Theory --- and how everything would have been different if the Seven Witches hadn't come to be."

"Interesting. I always did ponder about such an occurrence. Perhaps I'll give it a chance some day, it is my book after all."

I grinned. "I suggest it then."

A thunderous sound erupted from somewhere near us. I leapt from my chair, my heart beating a mile a minute.

Arthur blinked his gleaming blue eyes and lifted his spectacles off of his face. "What in the heavens was that?"

I had been thinking the same thing. I'd never heard such a loud sound before, especially in the castle. It had to be something catastrophic, no doubt about it. Had Thana returned, and the noise had been only the joyful shrieks of her family? Unlikely story. It was more likely that we were being attacked by Erwyn troops if anything.

"I'll go check it out." I rose my voice higher as another loud sound arose only on the floor below. Before Arthur could stop me, I zoomed out of the room. Clutching my hand towards my chest I walked down the stairs silently and crept over, eyeing the commotion.

A large balding man stepped into view, hovering over someone else. With an axe in hand, he swung it down towards whomever was on the ground. What should have been the sound of screams and flesh ripping apart was instead the sound of the ax missing and hitting the stone ground with a bang. The body rolled over and dodge the attack, gripping onto there side for dear life. It was a brown haired man, clearly, who seemed to be in pain. He scrambled to his feet and dodged another attack.

"Get over here, ye scum!" The large man shrieked as he brought the ax down towards the enemy, but once again, missed.

Two other guards ran to his side, taking the enemy by the shoulders. He winced in pain and looked up towards the ceiling, only to look down and meet my eyes with his ocean colored ones. We stared at each other for one, single, solitary moment. How could he, of all people, have seen me?

"Get him to the dungeons!" The large man angrily muttered, swing the axe back and forth by his side. I turned to look at him as he sputtered out more words. "With his kind. Be sure to inform the Empress."

I swiveled my head back to the captive man, who glanced at me once more only to be dragged away, sweaty, sad, and angry. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 451 67
"Upstairs!" I hear a yell and pounding footsteps. I crawl out of the window until I'm hanging from my hands. I take a breath. I let go. ~ Living in a...
1.6K 144 30
Serena, the heiress to the throne is born, bringing joy to her parents, the King and the Queen, and every resident of Elementia. Everyone is expectan...
1.1K 141 32
Secrets, mischief, and betrayal. The beginning for Princess Tera is tough, especially when the elves she must take care of in the forest kingdom desp...
634 71 20
"Why?" A painful whisper escapes my mouth. My vision keeps disappearing from the corners of my eyes. I can't hear the loud thunders of this stormy n...