Facade | Near

By phyeron-

Edit from me, years after: Sometimes I go back to this book and see just how wack my writing was years younge... More

A Successor's Facade
Prologue
Chapter 1: Colorless Beginning
Chapter 2: Terrifying News
Chapter 3: Ignited Vengeance
Chapter 4: One Life Saved
Chapter 5: Hollowness and Uncertainties
A/N that you can skip
Chapter 6: Anti-Kira Premises
Chapter 7: Night Terrors
Chapter 8: Silent Confusions
Chapter 9: L's Fraud
Chapter 11: Candy Theft
Chapter 12: Mafia
Chapter 13: White
Chapter 14: Memories
Chapter 15: Her memories, Lost. New moments, Found.
Chapter 16: Mission Impossible
Chapter 17: A Day For Myself- Or Not.
Chapter 18 Part 1: Shinigami
Chapter 18 Part 2: Your Teeth Can Be Considered As Yellow
Chapter 19: Brother
Chapter 20: Flashbacks
Chapter 21: Erratic
Chapter 22: A Portion Of The Truth
I Apologize...
Chapter 23 Part 1: Shinigami Eyes Information
Chapter 23 Part 2: Delete
Chapter 24: Kira's New Spokesperson
Chapter 25: Who Are You And What Have You Done To Mello?
Chapter 26: Matt's Demise
Chapter 27: Kira's Downfall
Chapter 28: The Successor's Inception
Chapter 29: Him, From Wammy's
Chapter 30: Beyond Birthday
Chapter 31: Realization
Chapter 32: Near
Near's Birthday (Author's Note)
Quick A/N
An Important A/N
Chapter 33: Collapse
Chapter 34: Abducted
Important Note: Title
I'M SO SORRY FOR ANOTHER NOTE OH MY GOSH
Chapter 35: Agony
Chapter 36: Unravel
Chapter 37: Aftermath
Chapter 38: Connection
Chapter 39: Reminder
Chapter 40: An Epilogue's Prologue

Chapter 10: Half Shinigami

2.8K 101 132
By phyeron-

Events are jumbled up to different time settings.

______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 10: Half Shinigami

"The United States no longer oppose Kira." The president of the US stated. I could practically imagine Kira's supporters jumping in joy right now. I just stared at the screen blankly. Trying not to show any emotions but in all seriousness, I was, of course, enraged.

What in the world? Kira murdered both of my remaining family member and he probably did it to other more people in the whole god damn world. Now U.S. is not against Kira?

Did Kira threaten the president? Or something? Anything? Why?

"Are you saying Kira is justice?" Some person was heard screaming.

"Justice? N-no I n-never said that. But because of Kira war and conflict cease to exist. Criminal organizations are at the state of ruins, not only in the United States but in all free nations. Anyone who defies Kira will be killed, that is in fact true..." I stopped listening after that.

Tch. It's like he's saying that Kira is justice now. But a sentence stuck out to me.

'Anyone who defies Kira will be killed, that is, in fact, true...' That's it! Maybe he's terrified or Kira threatened him. Or maybe he's just a complete idiot. Who knows, it might even be a mixture of those three.

"So what happens to us now?" Gevanni asked.

Wait what?

"It looks like we've been disbanded, thanks to that chicken of a president... No, he's not even a chicken. He's just a maggot."Near said. Pulling the head out of his robot. He did that two times already.

"You've got to be kidding, there's no way accepting Kira would lead to anything good." Near continued. Having that focused stare of his, looking blandly at the screen.

A call was suddenly shown to the screen. From fake L.

Oh great, we suddenly receive a call from a-possible-kira suspect. How nice.

"Hello." Near accepted the call. We can hear fake L shuffling in the background.

"Hello. We received a call from the kidnappers. Deputy director chief Yagami's daughter, Sayu Yagami is still alive and they told us something quite important."

He's not even going to acknowledge the fact that US doesn't oppose of Kira?

"...that solving this case can lead to the arrest of Kira. We give you our full support." Near said in a synthetic and masked voice.

Why do I always zone out at these important calls? Damn me.

"Is there a problem. L?" Near asked with the fact L number 2 was silent for a few seconds. A slight mocking tone was heard but I doubt the other can even recognize it.

"No. But hear this. The kidnappers insisted an exchange at L.A. for the notebook in two days." Fake L said.

"An exchange? The girl in exchange for the notebook huh?" Near confirmed. Twirling his locks. I swear, he does that every time.

"Yes." Fake L replied.

"Understood. I'll have a team stand by in L.A. for now but we need to know basis. Also, I can monitor the city with a satellite. Or, on second thought. We can let you have full authority on this L." Near said and ended the call.

Okay, Near made it a little bit cliche, ending the call after he said something.

"Near, is it really safe to put this case in the hands of a fake L? I mean, he didn't have any success in catching Kira so far." Rester asked. Actually, he had a nice point.

"I am aware of that. That's why it's a good idea. It means that it will be an opportunity to take advantage of him.Of course, aiding people's lives is important..." Near paused, raising a dart and aiming it at the dart-board.

"But as the SPK, our primary goals are very clear. We have to get the notebook, and capture Kira once and for all." I continued for Near. Based by his thinking, he would probably say those stuff, so I said it for him.

They all looked at me.

"How did you know I was going to say that?" Near asked me. Throwing a dart on the board and failing completely. Ha! Knew it.

"It seems like it," I said simply and shrugged, internally fangirling of course, since he was going to say that after all!

**Timeskip brought to you by Matt's Gaming Devices**

It's time.

What is it you may ask?

It's the day for the exchange. Oh finally, some action.

Yes, I get it. This is serious, the kidnappers, -possibly the mafia, Mello or even both of them' as Near says it- are making a trade for the notebook in exchange for Sayu Yagami, the deputy director Soichoro Yagami's daughter so there's a high-chance someone could die.

But it makes my heart tingle with excitement, the feeling of adrenaline pumping through my veins bugged me to no ed

"Director this is L. Get me N." Fake L said. His voice wasn't masked this time.

"Right." I heard a mutter as the director opened the call for Near.

"N, I'm sure you're aware of our current situation. I need you to do me a favor. Can you notify the police, the airline and the military not to take any action yet?" The fake L asked.

"What's he thinking? I haven't realized he was this unreliable." Rester groaned. No truer words had been said. And once again, I'm sitting in the corner. Silently watching the events unfold. I want to help capture Kira, to put him behind bars- no. I want him to die. I'll kill him myself if I had to.

But that just makes me a murderer. So maybe, just maybe, I'm not going to swoop down to his level and be a murderer myself. Near would probably resent me.

What?

Just when did I care about people's opinions? Since now apparently. The Stupid Pathetic Girl I am.

I wonder what Nears thinks of me. Why did he let me in the SPK? I'm useless to this anyway.

"Alright L. Agreed. We'll locate the landing site and surveillance over the area using our satellite video feed. If there's anything else we can do, don't hesitate to let us know." N said.

Why are you doing this. Near?

I watched the video that is set upon the monitors as Near called to inform the fake L about video feeds and stuff.

"They're underground?!" Rester exclaimed. Quite smart, I have to say. If the kidnappers are underground then the satellites cannot take the video feed of what's happening.

"Well, well. Isn't that interesting." Both me and Near said at the same time. I think spending too much time with this detective is making me think like him.

"L, do you have a plan? You can't seriously think that handing the notebook to someone you don't know is a good idea can you?" Near asked Fake L on the other line.

He's mocking L because if Sayu Yagami gets randomly killed, it would raise suspicion on him. Kira would've killed the criminals and not the hostage.

"The suspect is headed for a helicopter. Based on our intel, that's his only way of transportation.

"So this means we could be absolutely certain that the notebook has been exchanged." I confirmed.

There had been an exchange of words between N and Fake L. When suddenly, I heard Near say, "Oh sorry. I think we had been spotted."

A missile was heading towards the satellite. The person behind this is pretty much smart.

"We wouldn't be able to track THAT with radar." I simply said.

"The missile had been launched." Rester stated the obvious.

'Where is the notebook at? The missile or the helicopter? Could you guess it, fake L?' I mocked in my head. I know I hadn't met him. But with the fact that he's possibly Kira and he's a fake L brought me enough to hate him.

My instincts told me so. I just feel like I need- want, to hate him. I don't want to be this delusional or stupid, but I have a really strong feeling he's someone I would hate.

Why though? I don't even know.

The helicopter was suddenly gone on the radar.

"Near, the helicopter..." Gevanni trailed off. We all know that the radar lost the helicopter, so why waste a few seconds to complete a sentence?

"I thought so." Near said.

"Damn. We can't track it. It could be anywhere now." Gevanni exclaimed.

**A few moments of dramatic silence later**

Narrator's POV

'He should be getting his hands on the notebook now. And when he does, I have a good idea on what he will do next.' Near thought inside his head. He placed a dice on his tower. Then another one, but it hit the previous dice perfectly that caused it to fly out, not destroying the entire dice tower.

Near had always played on his toys or solved puzzle pieces while thinking. It's his unique capability. He knows himself that he is childish but doesn't contemplate on whether to act like how people want him to act. He doesn't give a damn anyway.

The director suddenly fell to his doom. Groaning as a heart attack engulfed him. It felt like it's happening in a slow motion, because as he falls. The dice tower falls too.

And as the other SPK members fall. The dice tower slowly falls into a complete wreck.

A member was possessed by the Death Note. Shooting himself with a gun. The giant dice tower continued to fall.

Y/N was, of course, terrified. Most members died in a way on how her mother and sister died. The same way, as a heart attack. (A/N: If I ever did that, I think I'd have a heart attaaaacckk. Sorry, just had to. XD Really sorry.)

Near sat emotionless on his chair. It's not like he wanted to. But he needs to. He needs to keep his emotions to himself and lock them away somewhere deep where no one could find it.

Near called the Fake L to inform what happened.

"He got us." His monotone and masked voice told Light Yagami.

"Got you?" The light-brown haired man asked, he is who you call, Light Yagami. The Fake L. Who keeps a mask to hide who he really is.

"Yes. Majority of the SPK had just been killed by the notebook." Near said in an emotionless state. He can't let people see or even hear him with emotions.

Especially, not the fake L.

Light sucked in a breath. He does not know whether to be happy or not. Majority of the SPK members had died, it means less people are now working to capture Kira. Aka, Light himself.

But someone else has the notebook. A criminal, to be exact.

"L. You are the one who handed the notebook without a fight. You and your people were totally helpless." The white-haired boy stated monotonously, twirling a lock of his hair.

"N. Are you saying that if you were in command, you wouldn't have handed it over?" The fake L asked. His voice sounded angrier than his usual calm one.

"No. Considering their preparations. It would've been impossible to avoid this. There's really no point in us quarreling. I propose on us to work together and share the information we have so far. For starters, I should admit that I have a really good idea on who the person behind this might be." The albino paused.

Light was taken aback.

"I suspect that the person behind this goes by the name, Mello." Near simply stated the fact.

"Mello. Who is he?" Light, The Fake L, or Kira, whatever his real title should be, asked. His voice darker than usual.

"I don't have his photograph and I don't know his real name. All I know about him was about four years ago. He was living at an orphanage located in Winchester, England. Also known, as Wammy's House." Near informed. Making it sound like he didn't come from that orphanage. Near completely lied at one thing. He has the photograph of Mello.

'Wammy's House.' Light repeated in his head. 'That's the place Watari established.' He thought to himself. He recalled it that much.

"I believe Mello is playing a game with me. He wants to see which of us will get to take down Kira. The final challenge." The boy said. Remembering his fellow rival back at Wammy's house. They would be working together to take down Kira by now. But Mello hated the idea.

Somewhere at the Shinigami Realm. A shinigami named 'Sidoh' was quite mad about another shinigami that is named 'Ryuk', taking his 'Death Note' aka 'The Killer Notebook' and dropping it into the human world.

"I guess I have no choice but to go ask Ryuk himself." His funny voice said. "I need my notebook back."

Justin, A shinigami with sparkly jewels around his body chuckled. "I guess so."

"I need to go to... The Human World." Sidoh said to himself. The shinigami in front of him kept chuckling in amusement.

"Well. That sucks."

Your POV

I walked through the hallways, lifeless as I thought back to what happened earlier this week.

First, My mother and sister died.

Yeah.

What's worse?

I'm not feeling so shitty about it. Yes, I do feel sad . But I feel like I should be feeling more than this. I said 'feel' four times already. Whatever.

But seriously. It's kind of annoying that I'm not mourning all over in my room. It's like some of my feelings we're locked up somewhere. Waiting to be freed at once.

Second, Shit went down and things with the killer notebook had surfaced. Is that how Kira killed my mother and sister? He simply wrote their full names, imagined their faces in his head and then BAM! Whalla, They died.

I looked through the copies of main and known rules Near had placed into my bedroom door. It simply stated that whoever's name is written in the notebook will die.

The person who is writing names can also manipulate on how a person dies.

Cool.

I would want to have one of those stuff. It just terrifies me on how 'that' notebook killed my family. And probably other more innocent ones around the world. I don't understand.

Let's see, Kira is getting his information on the TV and the internet. Is it possible that somehow, my mother and sister were falsely accused and was put in the internet as criminals? If it turned out to be true...

Then Kira's damned stupid.

I laid down the bed after changing in a set of fresh clothes. Closing my eyes and letting the familiar darkness engulf me.

"Wake up." A raspy voice said. I shot up immediately and my eyes went wide open.

A creature was in my room. Four feet taller than me. He looked like a human, but he has wings and SHIT, WHAT THE HELL IS HE?!

This is most likely one of 'those' dreams again. The one with shinigami things involved.

I groaned. My stupid brain is once again playing tricks on me. "What is it now?" I asked more to myself than the creature standing a few meters away from me.

The creature didn't expect my response. "You're not even scared, or at least to say. Surprised?" He asked in a surprised tone.

"Oh yeah, I'm so scared. I wanna run away and hide." I faked said in shock, sarcastically. "I'm not scared of you, I'm just scared on how crappy my imagination is." I continued dryly.

The creature chuckled. "Now I partially see why Gale saved you in the first place."

"..."

"I think I am going crazy. My imagine must be very wild."

He or It, chuckled again. "This is not your imagination, it's real." He told me.

"Yeah, and I'm suppose to believe that." I retorted sarcastically. I really am crazy.

"This is real!" I heard 'it', scream in irritation. I rolled my eyes, banging my head on a desk. Damn it, I may need mental help after this. 

"Cool," I mumbled, groaning as I realized I am talking to some creature who probably does not exist.

"Do you want to see my Death Note?" The creature asked me as he sighed.

"Cool story- DEATH NOTE?" I exclaimed in shock. My senses went back together as I realized there is actually a high chance what he's actually real.

I suddenly heard a knock on my door, then it opened.

Crap. How am I supposed to explain to whoever that person is -incase this is true- what the creature is, or what it is doing in my room? Cra-

"Y/N Why were you screaming Death Note?" A familiar monotone interrupted my panicked thoughts. Of course, it had to be him. Near. The smart ass who would see through any lie possible.

"Uhm. I was just enraged about this crappy killer notebook that was used to kill my parents." I lied. My fists clenched as my hair covered my eyes. Making it seem like I was so angered.

"Oh, Okay. Good Night then." He said.

"Goodnight." I mumbled. I heard him close the door and his footsteps were faintly heard walking away from my door.

He bought it.

He bought the lie.

Oh phew. I wanted to do a happy dance, when I was suddenly remembered why I had to lie in the first place.

"I'm still here you know." The creature said.

"Dammit. So you're actually real huh? How didn't he see you?" I asked him. Trying to keep as calm as possible. I don't want anyone knocking on my door and going, 'Why were you screaming?'

"I can only be seen by anyone who touched my Death Note, and my kind. My name is Daniel, the Right Hand of the Shinigami King. Call me Dan or whatever." 'Dan' said.

"Explain further please?" I asked him.

"Oh alright. Every shinigami owns a Death Note, A shinigami is obviously a Death God. We have eyes that can see a human's real name and life span just by looking at their face. Any human touches our Death Note can see us." He simply said.

"And I certainly did not touch your Death Note." I mumbled but of course, he managed to still catch it.

"Yes. Don't freak out on what I'm about to tell you." Dan said.

"Go ahead." I prepared myself for the shock. When a shinigami tells you 'Don't freak out on what I'm about to tell you.', then you sure as hell know it'll be shocking as hell.

"You're a half shinigami." He said.

My eyes went wide as saucers.

"Cool!" I exclaimed. Deep inside there's still that lingering shock and terrifying feeling inside me.

He was taken aback by my reaction.

I started voicing out my thoughts.

"But how? My parents were surely human. Is my sister half shinigami too? HOW?" I just started asking him 'How' questions.

"Get a cup of tea, it'll be a long-" He was saying something when I interrupted him.

"Shut up and tell me already."

He chuckled. "Alright."

"A long time ago when meteors crashed the planet Earth, killing dinasours- Oh no, not that far..." He tried to humor me, but failed since I kept a blank face on he felt extremely awkward.

Dan pouted, but continued anyway. "Your father isn't the same with S/N. You see, your real father is the shinigami king himself. He had taken interest in your mother, observing her everyday from the shinigami realm." He paused.

"He's sure as hell creepy." I bluntly stated. He chuckled and continued.

"He was honestly mad when your mother married S/N's father, and definitely more mad when he learned that your mother was pregnant with S/N," He was continuing but I interrupted him again.

"He watches mom everyday right? Oh god, did he see mom and dad do 'it'?" I blankly asked.

The shinigami fully laughed. I'm not funny, why is he laughing? Dan ignored the question seeing as how he doesn't have to answer that.

"When your mom had you in her womb. The shinigami king presented some kind of ritual. I don't know any detail about it actually. But surprisingly, he managed to make you his own flesh and blood. The only thing he didn't know, it would cost him his life. He doesn't care, though, as long as he had you in-" He said I interrupted him. AGAIN.

"Alright, stop. I know where this is going." I stopped him.

It's hard to keep calm and put a blank face with all of these going on. It's all too much at once. Honestly it feels like I would die of a heart attack right now and then.

"Now tell me more about half shinigamis." I asked him.

"Okay okay, Half shinigamis? Nope. You should say 'Half Shinigami' only. You're the only one. Half Shinigami... according to the book I have read. They can have access to shinigami eyes, they also get their father's Death Note." He said, pulling out a blue notebook from God-knows-where-he-pulled-it-from.

"This is your father's Death Note. Most Death Notes are Black or Red but yours is blue. Because your father was the Shinigami King after all. I think you have access to the Shinigami Eyes whenever you want it though, you have them right now." He further explained.

"What are shinigami eyes?" I asked him.

"They are the eyes of a shinigami obviously, whenever used, the creature who has it can see the life-span and real name of the person they're looking at. For humans, they can be traded with half of a person's life span. This doesn't make the shinigami lose its ability, though." Dan said.

"You sure know a lot huh?" I asked him.

"It's basic knowledge, but yes. I know most things shinigamis don't. Try to use your eyes now. Just think of it and your vision will turn red. When you look at a person, you'll see their name and life span above their heads." He said. I tried to do as he says and suddenly, my vision went red. I looked at the mirror.

My eyes changed colors.

"Can other people see the change of colors in my eyes?" I asked Dan. They were a glowing gold.

"Nope. Only you and shinigamis. You can't see the life span of humans that possesses a Death Note by the way." He told me.

"So I can basically know who Kira is?" I asked him as he nodded. My eyes gleamed with curiosity.

"Tell me more."

Dan, being the always-chuckling shinigami that he is, chuckled.

"You're a half shinigami, so people who knows your real name and writes it on the death note can still kill you." He warned.

"I'n okay with that. At least it reminds me I'm still... part human." I said. I'm surprised on how well I'm handling this.

"Half of your emotions had been locked up. When you reach your point, they all then burst out and you feel them strongly, I guess. I don't know why, though, the books never told me. Shinigamis can rarely feel emotions like happiness, sadness, grief, anger, love, hate, maybe that's why. Sadly enough, you can't have wings." Dan said, then chuckled.

"You always chuckle, that means you feel emotions?" I told him. He smirked.

"There are shinigamis who can feel amusement and irritation. But it's quite rare for them to feel love. I know one- no, two actually. Two shinigamis that died with the cause of love." Dan said, getting serious.

"Shinigamis can die?" I asked him.

"Yes. Don't tell anyone this information I'm about to tell you again okay?" He asked me.

I nodded. "I promise. Seriously, who would I tell? They would probably think I'm crazy." I said.

"You promise?" He confirmed.

"Oh yes, child! Pinky swear." I sarcastically said, but I help up my pinky anyway and rolled my eyes.

He raised his eyebrow, chuckled, then we made a pinky swear.

"One more thing. Normal humans can't touch shinigami. But half ones can." He said. I nodded at the information.

"Shinigamis are made to shorten or take the life of a human being. They take the years of living of a human and it adds it to their own life span. But shinigamis cannot make a human being get a longer life. It's against the rules.

Basically, when you reach the day of your lifespan. A shinigami can write the name of the person responsible for your death and that saves you. However, the shinigami turns to dust. The only thing that is left is their Death Notes. They could burn it when they don't want anyone having it. I have an interesting story to tell you, but that's for another day." He finished.

"Sleep for now. If I continue explaining this long stuff, you'll forget half of them and it'll waste my energy. Even a Shinigami can get tired you know." He chuckled.

I sleepily smiled. "Can you keep this for now?" I asked, handing him the notebook.

He smirked and took it.

"Of course." He said I yawned. Laying down on the bed.

"Stupid shinigami, interrupting my sleep." I faintly mumbled as darkness engulfed me.

All I heard was a slight, familiar chuckle as I slept peacefully. Ignoring the nightmares and insanity around me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welp, there it is. Coming from a very sleepy me. It's 2 AM, help.
(4242 words, not including this sentence, clap.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 4.3K 37
Hello, this story is not good. It was written by a depressed young tween who didn't understand what an abusive relationship is. I'm only keeping it u...
Killian By Amber

Teen Fiction

1.4K 195 34
"I lost him, he's gone. If I'm not careful I will be too" -------------------------- He looks healthy now. His cheeks are rosy red, his lips aren't...
Save Me By Hannah

Teen Fiction

20.5K 516 38
(Trigger warning) "Because," I start, my voice trembling as the flashbacks flood me like a tsunami. All the years of abuse swarm my mind and I can al...
68.5K 1.8K 38
π“Šπ“‹Όπ“Šπ“‹Όπ“Š "What?" I ask. He brings his hand to my face. His fingertips brush my lips. "What would you do," he says, "If I kissed you right now?" ...