My Hunter || Daryl Dixon

By ree_louise

I didn't want her to know about him, to know about the man that had left us behind. But now that he was back... More

Prolouge
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Epilouge
Author's Note

Chapter 36

10.7K 320 40
By ree_louise

The gunfire rains down from both sides and I duck down behind Hershel as the shots fly near me. My breathing is shallow and my heart pounds in my chest as the adrenaline kicks in.

"Hayley!" I hear Michonne cry out.

I look up and see her kneeling down by a car and I roll my way forward towards her. I give a glance back a Hershel and repress my sobs before we rush forward into the car maze. We reach the end and she begins to cut herself free on one of the cars. Someone runs by us and I stick my foot, knocking them to the ground. I kick them in the throat while Michonne rushes forward and searches him for weapons. She produces a knife and cuts herself free before turning to me and doing the same.

I grab the gun from the guy and we rush around the cars when I hear the tank go forward, the cars not too far behind. Explosions begin to sound over the gunfire and I see Michonne dash off the side. I follow her and I freeze beside her when I look down. Hershel's body lays there, with his head separated from his body. I let out a cry and Michonne pulls me away from him.

"Come one, we have to get to the others." She says, passing me the knife.

I push away my tears and follow her, tucking the knife into my belt. We rush forward into the field and I pull my gun forward and begin to fire behind them. People begin to fall to the ground as I shoot them and I run forward towards the prison. My heart pounds in my chest as I go to look for Belle and Daryl, knowing they are my only priority.

People begin firing at me and I drop to the ground, the bullets flying above me. I aim my gun and begin shooting at the people again but I miss, them being too far away. I hear the groans and snarls behind me and I turn around to see walkers making their way towards me. I get up from the ground and make a run towards the prison, the gunfire away from the field now. As I run a group of walkers cut me off and I scream out in frustration.

I look around and make my way towards the over turned fences, into the woods surrounding the prison. I hear snarling and growls behind me, reminding of when the farm was over run. I push away the thought and focus on the adrenaline running through my veins.

Eventually the snarls and growls stop and I realise I'm alone and lost in the woods. I look around but it's dark, barely any light filtering through the trees and I begin to panic slightly. I look at the trees and see one that I can camp in for the night, it being too dark to continue fumbling around the woods. I sling my gun over my neck and climb the tree, though I feel weak as I do. Soon enough, I reach a branch high enough that no walker can grab me. The branch is wide, enough for me to not fall off easily during the night. I lean back against the trunk and close my eyes, exhaustion setting in after the events of the week.

The woods are loud, with sounds of cicadas and night time animals, the occasional walker heard from a distance. Hundreds of images run through my head, the tank, Hershel, the walkers, the prison being destroyed. I think of Belle and Daryl and I wonder where they are, are they alive?

I shake the thought off straight away, knowing that they are. She'll be with Daryl and she'll be okay. But something in my heart feels wrong and I can't push it away. Soon enough all the pushed away feelings of grief and sadness eclipse the adrenaline and I let out a sob. Hershel, a man I had considered my father was now dead. He died right in front of me and there was nothing I could do to save him. Images of the sword hitting his neck, him collapsing to the ground in front of me, his beheaded body fill my mind.

I let out silent sobs, knowing that if I cry out loud walkers will hear me. I place my hands on my rounded stomach, still crying all the while. I open my eyes and look at my belly, knowing that I at least have my boy with me.

"It's okay baby, Mommy's here. Mommy won't let anything happen to you." I whisper, my voice thick.

"Don't you worry. Daddy and Belle are okay, everyone's okay. We're gonna find them and everything will be okay." I whisper, more for my benefit than anything.

"I'm sorry you'll never get to meet your Grandpa, he was the best man I know besides your father." I whisper, my voice trembling.

I stop talking and focus on pushing everything away, like I did before when the farm was over run. I pushed away my feelings of grief and sadness and focused on finding Belle and Daryl, like I will now. They are the only thing I need to focus on, finding my family. I lean back against the tree and close my eyes, trying to get some rest. However, just like everything else today, it doesn't go my way. Instead I lie in the tree and cry until there's no tears left. Only then do I fall into a nightmare filled sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walk along the empty road, my stomach growling as I go. It's been three days since the prison fell and I haven't found any sign of anyone. I have no idea where I am, the only indication are random street signs and speed signs. I'm wobbling on my feet, barely having enough sleep over these last few days. The only things I've been able to find is a full two litre bottle of water in an abandoned car, along with a hoodie. A cold front has come in the last few days and it's become freezing to say the least.

It's been a long three days, me left with nothing but my thoughts. Every now and then the baby moves or kicks and it's those moments I long for because it's a distraction. A distraction from the nightmare both of us are currently stuck in. The woods are large and intimidating on either side of the road and I try my best to ignore them, though they're always there.

My knife has been my trusty weapon of choice, leaving my gun as a last resort. Every now and then a few walkers stumble my way but I take them down. A couple of times have been a close call due to my exhaustion but I've done it, kept us both safe. I look up ahead, not really paying attention until a little sign pops up in my view. I walk forward until I'm close enough to read it properly.

"Grey-town 2 miles".

I look at it excitedly and realise there might be supplies there, food, water, maps. For the first time in three days I have hope. I rush towards the town, getting there within an hour's walk. The town is small, really small. Though I've passed a lot of houses, the central business district consists of a small square. I look up ahead and see an op shop and food donation bank, I smile excited and I make my way towards it, my stomach growling loudly in the silent air.

I bang on the window with my fist and wait, keeping my eyes peeled around me. There's a slamming in the window and I gasp and turn around startled. Three or so walkers bang against the glass, effectively stopping me from entering. I think about taking them on but I realise I'm too weak at the moment. I sigh frustrated and turn away from the store, looking for somewhere else. I grip my gun tightly in my hand and look for something else.

I sway on me feet as I look, the sun really beating down on me. I sway again on my feet and I lean against a store front window, trying to catch my breath. I sink down the ground and lean against the window, all of a sudden parched. I grab for my bottle and I realise it's empty and I toss the bottle away angrily. I fight to keep my eyes open but I can't and I collapse onto the pavement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel the softness of the surface underneath my back as I slowly become conscious, making me realise I'm not where I was passed out before. The room is colder, a more inviting temperature than the blistering heat outside. I open my eyes and look up at the light blue ceiling and it takes me a moment to adjust to my surroundings. I look around and realise I'm in an office of some kind.

There's a mahogany desk off to the side with papers and books covering the surface. On the walls are various children's drawings and letters, some pictures framed on the walls. I turn my head and see a rather large cross planted on the wall, with a figure of Jesus looking down at me.

I go to sit up but a head rush overcomes me and fall back onto the sofa. I wait a few moments to gather equilibrium before I attempt to sit up again. I look around and realise my gun isn't anywhere to be seen. I panic and grab my knife from my belt and stand up, looking towards the closed door. I slowly make my way towards the door, with my arms raised, ready for an attack.

I reach the door handle and slowly turn it, peering through the gap it makes. I don't see anything but I hear someone, someone across the other side of the room. All I see are the red lined wooden pews facing towards the front of the room I assume towards the lectern. I quickly think up a plan and take a few deep breaths to ready myself. I lean against the wall behind the door after I've silently shut it and wait for the person to enter. About five minutes later the door opens and I rush around, pressing my knife against the person's throat.

"Please don't kill me!" He cries panicked.

From my point of view I see he is a bald, African American man dressed in a charcoal black suit. He holds his hands up in defence and I hear him whimpering.

"Who are you?" I growl.

"My, my... My-" He stutters.

"Spit it out." I say, pressing the knife harder.

He cries out in pain, "My name is Father Gabriel Stokes, I'm the Priest of this church."

"Why have you kidnapped me?" I ask, hissing in his ear.

"I... haven't kidnapped ...you." He says confused.

"Then how did I get here?" I hiss.

"I found you unconscious in front of the chemist, you looked weak and dehydrated. I carried you back to my church." He explains, still breathy and scared.

"Why?" I ask.

"The Lord wouldn't have wanted me to leave you there, let alone a pregnant woman. The Lord adores children as do I." He says and I roll my eyes and begin to pat him down for weapons.

I find none and I stand back up and turn to him, "How did you know I wasn't dangerous? That I wasn't a killer?" I ask, baffled by his stupidity.

"I... I didn't..." He says.

"Maybe you should next time." I say, pushing him away from me.

He turns around and looks at me, his hands still raised defensively in the air. His wide brown eyes land on me, "Are you going to kill me?" He asks scared.

I lower my knife and shake my head, "No, I won't kill you."

He lowers his hands slowly and begins to relax as I tuck my knife in my belt.

"Would you like some food?" He asks and my stomach growls in response.

He chuckles, "Come and I will bring you food." He says, gesturing for me to go into the other room.

He walks first and I follow him into the chapel, taking a look around. Most of the room is dominated with pews facing the front and I turn to see the front of the church. There is a sanctioned off bit for the priest that holds and organ, a table for a communion and another large cross with a Jesus figure. Gabriel walks into the pit and digs around, producing a can of food.

"This is the last one I have." I explains, handing it to me with a spoon.

"Thank you." I say, grabbing me off of him.

I take a seat on a pew and he takes a seat beside me, leaving a considerable gap between us. I pull the ring on the lip and yank it off, placing the rubbish on the pew. I don't even hesitate and just dig into the food, the first food I've had in three days. I moan at the taste of the spaghetti sauce in my mouth, close my eyes. Gabriel chuckles at me and I open my eyes and look at him.

"How long have you been here?" I ask.

His smile drops and he looks around the church, "Since the beginning."

"Wow, you're lucky to have stayed in a place that long." I say, taking another price.

"Well, it didn't come without cost." He mumbles and my eyebrows furrow.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "I'd rather not talk about it." He says quietly.

I nod my head and begin to eat more of the food as he speaks, "So what about you?"

"What about me?" I ask, my mouth full.

"How did you end up out there just now?" He asks and I freeze the spoon going into my mouth.

I look down at the near empty can and swallow what's left in my mouth, placing the spoon back into the can, "My home was attacked and I was separated from my group a few days ago."

"I'm sorry to hear that." He says.

"I'll find them." I say, taking a spoonful.

"Was the father by any chance in that group?" He asks.

I nod my head, "Yeah, my husband and my little girl."

"Oh wow, you already have another child. How old is she? If you don't mind me asking." Heads, smiling genuinely at the mention of Belle.

"She's six." I state and he smiles, "That's a wonderful age. I do pray you find them, you are welcomed to stay here for a few days to rest before you go off on your journey."

"Thank you very much Gabriel, I hope I won't be a bother." I say.

He shakes his head, "Nonsense. What sort of priest would I be if a kicked a mother and her unborn child out to those creatures? The Lord sent you here because you needed to be."

I bite my tongue and smile politely at him, "Thank you Gabriel. My name is Hayley."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Hayley." He smiles.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.6K 472 12
[BOOK 2] [SEQUEL TO BORROWED TIME] "I lied when I told ya' I wasn't 'fraid of nuthin." His voice was low and gravelly like always as he leaned agains...
459K 11.6K 74
"It's you and me Daryl, like it always has been." I say, looking into his dark blue eyes. "The way it always will be." He states. I nod my head, a sm...
860 38 37
Story starts right after the incident at Hershel's barn but does not follow the story line of the show after that. The main character is a young wom...
29.1K 962 31
Nell has lost everyone she ever loved. She witnessed her little brother getting tore to shreds right in front of her eyes. And to make things worse...