Another Love Another time

Af AshleyMay009

River and Auggie have been best friends since birth. Even though they live hours apart they find time everyda... Mere

Chapter 1: Sealed with a bracelet
Chapter 2: A hero's party
Chapter 3: Halloween
Chapter 4: Just a girl
Chapter 5: Friendsgiving
Chapter 6: Body Changes on vacation
Chapter 7: Sealed with a kiss
Chapter 8: Boyfriends/Girlfriends
Chapter 9: Auggie gets wheels
Chapter 10: Green hair and camping
Chapter 11: Gators and virginities
Chapter 12: Two's Company and three's a crowd
Chapter 13: Prom-forget the fairy tales
Chapter 14: The fallout
Chapter 15: GI River
Chapter 16: The Move
Chapter 17: Surprise!
Chapter 18: Aha moments
Chapter 19: He wants to meet me?
Chapter 20: Natty Girl
Chapter 21 Psycho
Chapter 22: Wish us well, the rest can go to hell
Chapter 23: Ghosts of the past
Chapter 24: Rhondy
Chapter 25: You still don't see it
Chapter 26: You busy?
Chapter 27: Then you need to act like it.
Chapter 29: Prove it
Chapter 30: Run River Run
Chapter 31: Imagine my surprise
Chapter 32: It's not running, it's a time out.
Chapter 33: Is she telling the truth?
Chapter 34: Holding back
Chapter 35: Forgiveness
Chapter 36: Oh my!
Chapter 37: Losing her
Chapter 38: Home
Chapter 39: She's going down
Chapter 40: Lessons learned
Epilogue

Chapter 28: Hey good lookin'

2.4K 111 20
Af AshleyMay009

River

I pull up to the airport where you pick up. I see Baxter waiting for me. His flight landed earlier than planned. I get closer and rolldown the window, "Hey good lookin' are you needing a ride!" I had planned on parking and meeting him by baggage claim with a sign, but that clearly wasn't going to be happening. I put my car in park and pop the trunk so that he can put his luggage in the back. I get out and jump in his arms and give him a big bear hug.

"Missed you Baxter." He squeezes me back and lets me down. "Missed you too Rhondy."

We both hop back in the car and start heading back to Hannibal.

I turn my head to look at him, "Do we need to stop anywhere before we get on the interstate?"

"Naw I'm good. I may take a nap though. I'm wore out. The lady who sat next to me on my flight here talked my ear off. I didn't get any sleep."

"Sounds good, I'll wake you when we get there."

~~

I pull up to my house. That feels weird to say. I own a house. Auggie and Mackey helped me move in last week. It's nothing fancy, it's in one of the older neighborhoods so I got a good deal on it. It does need some upgrades, but the backyard was worth it, and I have the money I have saved from the army to upgrade what I don't like. Auggie has been helping do some of the painting and handyman work since I moved in. He has been staying in the spare bedroom since most of the work is done after we get off work and we have had a few beers. He's started carrying an extra bag of clothes with him for when he stays over. I'm beginning to get used to him in my space. Growing up we got snippets of time together in the same space when we did things as a family or when we went on vacation. The rest was through text and phone calls. I've basically seen him every day since I moved to Hannibal. It's like he's evaded my space and I'm not sure what to think. This is what I was hoping for, but at the same time I'm keeping him at arm's length. I think I'm waiting for him to show me that chooses me. I want to tell him about Melissa, but my fear is that he is going to defend her and not believe me. If he does that it will crush me. I bring myself out of my thoughts, not wanting to think about that right now.

I shove at Baxter's shoulder to wake him up. "Wake up sleepy head."

"Sorry Riv, I didn't mean to sleep the whole time."

"No worries, you obviously needed it."

"Yeah, I did." Rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Let me help you bring your stuff in and I'll show you where you will be sleeping."

He scoffs, "You mean I won't be sleeping in the bed with my wife." He chuckles. Some days I wish I really wish I was his wife, and he was my husband. It would be so much easier and probably better for my heart, but I know neither of us have those types of feelings.

I slap in on the back of the head. "Watch it mister." I laugh at him. "Let me show you your room and I'll show you around."

We walk through the door, and I take him to the room he'll be staying in. Auggie and I have already pulled the carpet up and I was pleased when the hardwood floor underneath was in perfect condition. I can't believe people would cover the floors with carpet. I'm hoping all the floors look as good as the ones in this bedroom and the master. We painted both rooms a nice neutral gray color. I really like the gray I chose and want to use it throughout the house. Baxter doesn't know it yet, but he's going to help me paint all the other things.

"Wow Riv this looks good. Did you do this or was it like this?" I tell him I've only got the two rooms done so far.

"That's where you come in" I point at him, "Guess what we will be doing this week while you're here?" I say with a cheeky grin.

"I knew it, you're going to put me to work! I better be getting paid well."

"Ah ha, in good food and adult beverages." I answer him.

"That's what I'm talking about." He puts his luggage on the bed and starts to unzip.

"Do you want to take a shower first or do want me to show you around first."

"Show me around first so I can see what I'm in for this week and then I can cry to myself in the shower.", he pouts.

"Whatever, I know this makes you happy, you were probably stressing about not doing anything all week."

He chuckles, "You know me so well." We walk back into the hallway, and I show him the other room. I'm going to use it as an office, but for now it's being used for storage. I show him the bathroom that still needs to be painted. Otherwise, I think I'll leave that room alone for now. We make it to the living and dining room, and I watch his face just waiting for his reaction. I haven't touched this room on purpose knowing that he would love it. Or more like make fun of it. He walks in the middle and turns completely around."

"I have no words." His reaction makes me giggle. The room is a poop green. It looks like it hasn't been updated since the seventies. On the windows there are curtains that have a green background with a floral print. They left the furniture which somehow has the same print as the curtains. I didn't even know you could do that, and the carpet matches the maroon in the curtains.

"Well, they definitely knew how to coordinate their colors didn't they." I laugh at his response.

"This will be the first room I want to do. We have people coming over this weekend and I need your help ripping up the carpeting and painting. You think we can get it all finished before Saturday?" I question.

"I think it's doable. What are you going to do if the floor doesn't look as good as the others?"

"I bought a rug. I was hoping if there was a spot it wouldn't be very big, and I could throw the rug over it until I could get it fixed. If it's too big and I'm not ready, I'll just ask Mackey to move the party over to his house. I really want to you to meet the team."

We move onto the kitchen which will need to be gutted completely, but for now I'll just paint it, but not before the party. For now, it will work. He hasn't said anything about the smell. When I first moved in it spelled like old people, so I've been trying to air it out by opening the windows and adding air fresheners from Bath and Body works. It seems to be doing the trick. I continue to show him the laundry room and my bedroom and bathroom.

"And that completes the tour." I lift my hands acting like I'm showcasing the house.

"It's going to look really good when you get done with it."

"I hope so. Why don't you go take a shower and I'll warm up some food. My mom is going to stop over, she couldn't wait until tomorrow. Hope you don't mind?"

"Heck no, I love your mom! Let me jump in the shower so I don't stink. I need to call my mom and let her know we made it to your house."

"Tell her I said hello." As he walks back to the spare bedroom.

~~~

I can't believe you're here to visit her and she puts you to work", my mom taunts Baxter while she's helping sweep up the padding left over from pulling up the carpet. Surprisingly the floor is not bad at all. There are a few spots I could sand them down, but I think it shows character. It can wait for right now. I was already to sand them down eventually anyways.

"I would have been more surprised if she didn't put me to work.", Baxter responds.

"Hey, is it pick on River today? I'll remind you that both of you volunteered for this. Besides, I need to get all my honey dos done before this guy kicks me to the curb." I jab my thumb at Baxter and laugh.

"Oh River I'm not kicking you to the curb, I'm just trading you in for another model."

"Asshole! Mom, you hear what I have to put up with?" laughing at him, I throw a piece of the carpet and it hits him square in the back.

"I'm not getting in the middle of it, but Baxter if you ever want to trade to a classic model, you know where to look." She winks at him. My. Mom. Winks. At. Him. Oh god!

Baxter looks at me with a gleam in his eyes, "Riv just think I could be your step daddy."

"Eww gross, stop you two!" We all laugh.

"So when will the divorce be finalized?", my mom asks.

It's Baxter who responds, "Well we both have signed, and River's lawyer sent them back, so it should be soon."

"Well, you two may have the most civil divorce known to mankind."

"Thanks mom."

"Well, I don't want to lose touch with Baxter. He's become family."

"Thanks Mrs. G. You all have always made me feel like family."

"Because you are sweetie."

There is a knock on the door and Aunt Jessica is at the door. Earlier my mom was telling Baxter about this place in Monroe City where they sell moonshine. He wanted to try some. She called my Aunt Jess to bring us some to-go drinks so he could try some, she picked up Aunt Connie on her way over.

"Here you go, I got a few different flavors." Says my Aunt Jessica.

"How much do I owe you?" comes from my mom.

"Nothing my treat. I'm Jessica. You must be Baxter. It's good to finally meet you." Auggie's mom has also met him, but she tells him hi.

"You too, thanks for picking up the drinks. River has beer, but she was being a shit and got me some shitty beer."

"No worries. How long are you in town for?" asks my Aunt Jessica.

"I'm in town until Sunday. We have a thing where I'm going to meet all of River's friends and then River is going to drive me to go see my family. From there I'll go to my next duty station."

"Do you know where your next duty station will be?" Aunt Connie questions.

"Yes, they are sending me back to Iraq." Baxter answers her question.

"How many times have you been there?" asks Aunt Jess.

"Three times." Baxter looks down at the floor.

"Wow" Sensing he doesn't want to talk about it my aunt changes the subject.

"So have you got to meet Auggie yet?" comes from Auggie's mom.

"No, he hasn't." I respond giving Baxter time to get back in the right head space. "I'm surprised he hasn't been over yet." It's only been a day, but he had texted me last night saying he was going to sit down with Melissa and ask her to move out. He didn't text me after so I'm hoping that went well. I'm pleased to hear he's moving in the right direction. Through out the week he has hinted that he would like me to give him another chance and him asking her to move out is definitely right in the direction.

"Don't you think it would be good to introduce Auggie and Baxter before the party." My mom asks.

"I was planning on it. I guess he's been busy." I don't want to say anything to the moms about him asking Melissa to move out. That's his news.

Speaking of the devil. I see him through the front door glass. I walk over to the door and let him in. I see him taking in the changes since the last time he was here. He must have realized the moms were here looking at their vehicles in the driveway. So, I introduce the guys.

"Hey Aug, this is Baxter. Baxter this is Auggie." Baxter walks over to us and holds his hand out to Auggie. Auggie takes it and gives his hand a shake. "Nice to finally meet you. River has told me all about you. Thanks for taking care of her when I wasn't there." Baxter wants to say something, but I know he won't, not in front of our mothers. "It really wasn't hard. This girl is tough as nails."

Auggie looks at me, "Yeah, she is. It was nice to finally meet you, but I need to borrow River for a minute to talk about one of our cases. I'll see you tomorrow. I'll be over to help with some of the other items that need to be done."

"No problem, I have my hands full with these three." Baxter jabs his hand over his shoulder that the three mothers watching our exchange.

"And if you want to thank me, bring me some good beer tomorrow. Our girl bought me shitty beer."

"Will do.", he chuckles.

Thanks for reading Auggie and River's story. I'm trying to finish and post chapter as quickly as possible. I appreciate all the comments. Thanks for the comments and votes. 

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

3.7K 117 7
What would you do if your boyfriend broke up with you for someone else? Even worse. She is that girl. Popular, shallow and horribly perfect. The one...
234K 6.8K 59
MATURE CONTENT !!!! 18+ UNEDITED ... PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT, SHARE, & LIKE 🥰😘 Riley is a good and innocent girl never been through anything in...
2.8K 886 13
"Have you ever wondered how chance can change the course of your entire life?" In the realm of everyday life and boundless aspirations, Lily's world...
27.5K 1.5K 53
(On adultfictions reading list) Can you fall in love with the same person twice? "I can't be with you, I just can't," she said turning away. "Why not...