Another Love Another time

By AshleyMay009

River and Auggie have been best friends since birth. Even though they live hours apart they find time everyda... More

Chapter 1: Sealed with a bracelet
Chapter 2: A hero's party
Chapter 3: Halloween
Chapter 4: Just a girl
Chapter 5: Friendsgiving
Chapter 6: Body Changes on vacation
Chapter 7: Sealed with a kiss
Chapter 8: Boyfriends/Girlfriends
Chapter 9: Auggie gets wheels
Chapter 10: Green hair and camping
Chapter 11: Gators and virginities
Chapter 12: Two's Company and three's a crowd
Chapter 13: Prom-forget the fairy tales
Chapter 14: The fallout
Chapter 15: GI River
Chapter 16: The Move
Chapter 17: Surprise!
Chapter 18: Aha moments
Chapter 19: He wants to meet me?
Chapter 20: Natty Girl
Chapter 21 Psycho
Chapter 23: Ghosts of the past
Chapter 24: Rhondy
Chapter 25: You still don't see it
Chapter 26: You busy?
Chapter 27: Then you need to act like it.
Chapter 28: Hey good lookin'
Chapter 29: Prove it
Chapter 30: Run River Run
Chapter 31: Imagine my surprise
Chapter 32: It's not running, it's a time out.
Chapter 33: Is she telling the truth?
Chapter 34: Holding back
Chapter 35: Forgiveness
Chapter 36: Oh my!
Chapter 37: Losing her
Chapter 38: Home
Chapter 39: She's going down
Chapter 40: Lessons learned
Epilogue

Chapter 22: Wish us well, the rest can go to hell

3.1K 111 142
By AshleyMay009

River

"Are we going after the hard stuff or we sticking to beer?", my uncle laughs. I lean my forehead against the window and respond, "What would you drink if you were me?", I wipe my eyes. He laughs again. "Girl, I don't think there is anything strong enough."

"I think you're right; I don't think there is anything strong enough." We stay silent until he breaks it with a topic I don't want to discuss making me a hypocrite.

"I heard congratulations are in order.", I turn my head to look at him he looks at me and then back to the road.

"What are you talking about?", playing dumb.

"Auggie said that you're married. When the hell was that and why was I not invited?", my Uncle Eddie not ever wanting to beat around the bush.

"Oh that." playing innocent.

"Yes that! Riv what the hell?" joking with me.

"I'm married, you remember Baxter?" I know in my uncle's eyes I don't have reason to be crying.

"Is that the kid that was with you at your graduation?"

"Yeah, well that's him, my husband." I put on a fake smile.

"Really, that's all you have to say." he scolds me.

I sit up in my seat. I knew I was going to have to explain myself, but I feel like I need to have this discussion with Auggie first.

"My mom knows, I wasn't really talking to anyone back then, so I asked my mom to keep it quiet. It's the least she could do."

"I'm not going to say that doesn't hurt. I've always thought of you as a daughter and I would have loved to be there with you to celebrate, but I get it. I do think there's a lot that you and Auggie need to discuss." He opens his center console and grabs a napkin and hands it over.

"Apparently." I say while I wipe under my eyes.

"Hey, Mrs. Baxter." I hang my head down in shame. I know I don't have the right to be jealous, but it doesn't mean I'm not still hurt. My heart aches. Did I think he would be a choir boy? No, but he knew how I felt about Melissa. I know I shouldn't be surprised; I mean I did catch her and him kissing at prom. I seen them together at my dad's funeral. Why did I think they wouldn't be together now? Especially the lengths she would go to keep him in her life. It doesn't matter, all I can give him right now is friendship and being his partner.

"Hey," he waits until I look at him. "I missed you kiddo, everyone did. I know Auggie really missed you." That brings on another round of tears. He pauses thinking about something. "When you went off to the Army, it didn't just affect you and Auggie, it affected the whole family. I know you had your reasons, but I just wanted you to know there has been a huge hole left in your absence. Everyone is excited your back home." He waits until I've pulled myself together. I know I'm avoiding certain conversations. There was a time when I was mad at our parents too. I need to speak with them too. After I speak with Auggie. Auggie first then the parents.

"Tequila.", I smirk wanting to change the subject. I just don't want to talk about it yet. It looks like I will be having my talk with Auggie sooner rather than later.

"Oh no!" he groans knowing I'm answering his initial question, "I remember how your mom used to get when she drank tequila. Don't make me have to carry you home."

"Don't worry, I'm feeling like some margaritas. I'm going to try to be sweet without being too salty tonight."

"You're the boss. Maybe you can even get your Aunt Connie to drink one with you."

~~

When we get back most of the family has arrived. We did do a shot in the parking lot of the grocery store. I may have had two to his one, but I've loosened up. I feel better. I walk through the garage with the supplies. "Who wants some margaritas?" My mom looks up to where I just walked in through the door with a worried expression. Instantly making me feel bad. I know when I ran it didn't only affect Auggie and me, I see it with everyone walking around on eggshells around me. I knew Uncle Eddie wouldn't do that. Uncle Chris walks up, "I don't want a margarita, but I'll take a shot of tequila."

"Okie dokie", I pull out shot glasses and pore him one and then one for myself. He holds his up, "Are we toasting to something?" I hold my shot glass up to his and smile.

"To those that wish us well, the rest can go to hell!" We clink our glasses together and the liquid burns going down.

"Hey you couldn't wait for me!" I hear a familiar voice behind me, I quickly turn around see the face that belongs to the voice. I run and jump at him. "Hey River, good to see you too." Logan is laughing. "Hey big head, I missed you."

"I couldn't tell." he laughs cheekily.

"I'm so glad you're here." Logan is another reason I'm here. When I left, I made it clear that I didn't want to know anything about Auggie and I didn't want Auggie to know anything about me. I don't want to hurt Auggie, but Logan knew I was married. He'd been there when it happened. I'm glad he kept his promise to me that he wouldn't tell Auggie anything. I know their friendship might take a hit and I'm sure when Logan made that promise he knew what was at stake. When my contract was coming up for renewal, I could have reupped or got out. I told him my plan and he thought it was a good one and so here I am or part of the reason why I'm here.

"When did you get in?" I ask.

"This morning, we had a game last night and I drove all night to get here."

"You must be tired."

"Yeah, I am, but I'm used to it." He shrugs like it's no big deal and I realize I'm still hugging him, and I let go of him.

"I'm going to make some margaritas. I'm going to need it to get through the evening."

"Oh yeah, I heard about the welcoming committee." He laughs in his fist. I shake my head at him and walk back over to my supplies. Aunt Connie brought down her shaker cup for me to make the drinks.

"Oh, shush you could have warned me." He's still laughing.

"Where would the fun in that be?" I stick my tongue out at him. I pour all the ingredients into the shaker cup and shake up the liquid. I rim the salt on the cup and pour the liquid in with the ice and take a sip. "I think I out did myself." I tell Logan. "You wanna sip?"

"No thanks, it's not in my diet. If I want to make it to the big leagues, no slip ups." He leans on the counter.

"That just means more for me." I give him a cheeky grin.

"Let's go upstairs. I think the food is ready.", he pushes me.

"Oh so the food upstairs is in your diet, huh?"

"I'm sure I can find something. Aunt Connie usually has something for me."

We start walking towards the stairs and I grab his arm and he turns back.

"Please don't leave me alone Logan. I'm going to need you to get through this."

"I won't Riv, I got your back." He holds his fist for a fist bump.

I am pretty hungry. Aunt Connie said she was making that corn dip and I've been craving it ever since. When we get upstairs, I'm bombarded by all the people I haven't seen in five years. Logan keeps his word and stays by my said. His mom tries to get his attention, but he gives her a look and I think she understands that I need him. I see some of Auggie and I's co-workers including Mackey. I guess they've added people since I was gone, which hurts a little bit, but I did it to myself. There are several other people I don't recognize at all. Logan drags me to where the food set out and I immediately go to the corn dip. I've been trying to avoid Melissa, which is easy because she hasn't left Auggie's side all night and I think Auggie is truly scared to come anywhere near me. When I do catch him looking at me, I see the apology. I don't care, does it hurt, yes, but I can't do anything about it. I ran and I must face the consequences. I always knew that if I left him alone too long, she would get her claws in him. Once Logan is finished warming up the plate Aunt Connie made up for him, we head outside to the table on the deck. There are a few people out there, but there are two seats available.

~~

After finishing out plates and talking to the people at the table, I tell Logan I'm going to the bathroom. I go into the one upstairs. I haven't seen Auggie and Melissa in a while. Maybe they left? I don't know why I even care. Yes, you do. I turn on the light and lock the door. I've slowed down my drinking. I need to be able to drive home. I've been drinking water. I know Aunt Connie would let me crash here or mom could take me home. I'm starting to get tired, and I know Logan will stay here as long as I want him too, but I know he has an early morning. I flush the toilet and wash my hands. I'm caught off guard when the door pushes open and closes. I go to scream, but a hand covers my mouth. I look up and see that it's Auggie.

"Shh, don't scream. I've been trying to get you alone all night and this is the first time I seen a chance."

"What the hell Auggie? What are we five? If you wanted to talk all you had to was ask."

"Sorry, I needed to get away from Melissa to explain."

I cross my arms in a defensive mode, "I would rather not, Auggie. I'm really tired and I just want to go home."

"Just give me five minutes. I want to explain.", he pleads.

"You want to explain how the girl everyone calls psycho is Melissa. The girl..."

"She's not really that bad.", he cringes just saying it.

I scoff, "I see she still has you fooled." I shake my head, done with this conversation. I don't want to cry in front of him.

"Out of everyone you had to choose her." I close my eyes to stop the tears from coming. I turn around so he doesn't see. He grabs my arm, but there is a knock on the door.

"Just let me explain.." he pleads, but he's interrupted.

"Auggie." It's Melissa. "Are you in there?" She's knocking on the door.

Auggie is shaking his head, but I ignore him. "Yeah, he's in here." I'm done with this conversation. I'm mentally exhausted. I walk around him and unlock the door and open it and come face to face with Melissa. She doesn't look to happy to see me in here with Auggie, but her lips turn up in a smirk as she looks straight at me, but I know she's speaking to Auggie, "Are you ready to go home?"

I look back at Auggie and give him a "what the fuck" look, but he's not looking at me. He's looking down at the floor. I look back up at Melissa, "You know what? That sounds like a wonderful idea. Good night you two." I have to walk away before I break down. I didn't know what I would come back to, but Melissa and Auggie living together, being together was not it. I think I made a mistake. I never should have come back. 

This will be the last chapter I'm posting for a week, I'll be on vacation and I won't have access to my laptop.  I'll try to have the next chapter posted on 7/23/2023, I don't want to keep you waiting too long. :)

You should start seeing some of your questions being answered in the next couple of chapters. I know Auggie is frustrating, (this is me defending him) it's really hard writing him, because he does have a heart of gold, he does want to be the hero, the white knight if you will, but he has made a lot of errors in judgement and spoiler alert he's not done being an idiot.  I don't think he has quite realized how manipulative women can be or maybe he has or is starting to see it. I think it's hard for him to conceive that someone that he grew up with could be that manipulative, that evil. He seen it with River or at least what she told him, but maybe he sees it as being childish being jealous of one another. Melissa doesn't show that side of herself to Auggie, he may get glimpses of it, but.. I don't want to get to much into it because I don't want to give too much away. Let just say there is a reason why he is so.... lenient with her.

 Hope you enjoyed! Thanks again for your support. Don't forget to vote or a leave a comment. They are appreciated. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 336 46
๐“๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ž๐ž ๐‰. ๐–๐š๐ฅ๐ฌ๐ก wasn't actually born in Tennessee. He grew up forty miles south of the border, in a Mississippi river-town. He live...
910 20 33
One night labels Summer a cheater. Summer's whole life changes after one-night shatters everything she holds important. She suddenly finds herself tr...
3.4K 658 17
ONC 2024 SHORTLISTER || After two opposites find comfort in each other and have an instant connection but can't be together, they collide again mont...
13K 1.4K 40
Have you ever encountered mad love? No, not the kind with butterflies in your belly and a sweet thrill, or even the relationship between two loving h...