𝐃𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐍 ⎯ 𝐙𝐮𝐤𝐨

By icrossedtheborderr

He lost his memories and soon woke up on a banished Prince's ship without a clue in the world. But this boy s... More

Scars From The Past
Scars From The Past 2
Book 1 - Water
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Book 2 - Earth
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Book 3 - Fire
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56

Chapter 8

1.7K 85 7
By icrossedtheborderr

Imagine the person in the media more Shoko-ish, with his eyepatch and bright amber eye.

Zuko angrily slashed an arch of flames, startling the soldiers as they fell to the ground. The Prince watched as they stood back up, this time, looking more prepared for what was to come.

"I'm going to clean up, don't bother me."

The men all nod and continue with their duties. Prince Zuko stormed into the bathhouse, he was really sweaty. After all, he had woken up quite early to start his training. He was bothered, although everyone could easily tell with a single glance. 

Just as the Prince requested of him, Shoko complied. He avoided eyesight with him and tried his best to keep his mouth shut whenever they were in the same room. He wasn't afraid to stand up to the hotheaded jerk, but his mind couldn't help but wander back to the things Zuko yelled at him. He acted like he wasn't affected, but deep down, those words stung and brought back memories, unpleasant ones.

Every time Zuko faced Shoko, guilt spread throughout his body. He reminded him of the servants under Azula's control back when they were kids. They never talked to her unless she permitted, they kept their heads low and hands folded in front of them. The perfect servant, Azula would say to him. 

Zuko always ended up trying to mimic his father's intimidating tone with his servants, but he never succeeded or even came close. But at times, he was polite, kind, and laid back with them. He was the exact opposite of his father and Azula, he was just like his mother, in so many ways. She was also polite and treated them as if they were her equals, despite being wed to a horrible person like Ozai, who was cruel and harsh with them if they were to slip up even the slightest. 

Zuko would never admit it, but he felt sick to the core whenever he tried to act like Azula. Iroh could tell, he always noticed the change of expression and voice tone every time Zuko looked at Shoko.

No one mentioned what had happened back on Kyoshi Island. Everything was too tense on the ship, it was unbearable for Zuko, Iroh, and most of the staff. 

Zuko loosened his muscles the moment his body hit the warm water, he closed his eyes to try and relax, but when he reopened them, he saw his face.

No... not again...

He had been haunting him ever since the day he disappeared. He had nightmares for months, and when he thought they finally vanished, when he thought he was gone forever, everything came back like a tidal wave. Memories of the past washed harshly over him, drowning him in guilt. 

He hates missing him. 

Why couldn't he forget him after all this time?

He's gone.

Never to be found again. 

Maybe it was better that way. 

That was the best way to get rid of those plaguing thoughts. To get rid of his memories. But this time, it didn't work. He looked up to the sky, remembering what he had told him a long time ago, his eyes. They always shone like the bright stars of Ember Island. 

"You tie your hair up more than I do."

What would the crew members think of him if they were to see him in such a vulnerable state? What would Shoko think?

They would most likely think he was nothing but a weak, sentimental Prince. He clenched his fist at the thought. He is not weak. 

But if he wasn't weak... then why did he fear closing his eyes?

He knew nothing physically could happen, so why was he scared? Was it because of him? No, it wasn't him. Or maybe it was... he didn't know. 

He shook himself and continued with his bath. Then, he walked back to his room with a towel wrapped around his lower half. He dried himself and changed into more comfortable clothes. Laying on his bed, eyes wide open. A few moments later, he fell into a deep uncomfortable sleep. 

❥・❥

A young Zuko, only ten years old, took a seat next to Mio. "What happened?"

Mio pulled his legs closer to his chest, eyes red and puffy with trembling lips, after a while, he finally opened them to speak, "My dad hates me, Zuzu-" 

Zuko always hated that nickname, but never when it came from Mio's lips.

"Why?" He responded. He knew it was best to remain calm, or he would worsen Mio's feelings. "My Mom and Dad aren't happy together. I don't know, but he said some cruel things about me" He sniffled. 

Zuko's lips formed a frown, eyes widening in surprise, "You don't have to listen to him! It doesn't matter what he thinks!" 

Mio nodded slowly, taking hold of Zuko's hand, he squeezed it gently in search of comfort, "I know. But he's thinking of sending me to this boarding school so I can improve my firebending... I don't want to leave you." 

Zuko's eyes widened at the possibility. "He's tired of all the rumors that people are spreading about me. He called me useless today, Zuko."

The Prince took hold of Mio's chin and slowly pulled it up so they could make eye contact, "It's your birthday today. No one deserves to be sad on their special day. Forget your Dad and everyone else, I helped Mom bake a cake for you."

Mio nodded and rubbed his eyes with his sleeve, accepting Zuko's hand to help him up. "Thank you, ponytail Prince. I don't know what I would do without you in my life" He smiled and allowed Zuko to pull him inside the palace. 

After the two had eaten a slice of cake, Ursa served them cups of ice cream. Though they finished it quickly so they could run around in the garden. Mio guided Zuko over to a huge tree and leaned their backs on its bark. Nighttime had already arrived, and the two found themselves stargazing, a hobby they only enjoyed in each other's company. Zuko pulled out a necklace from his pocket and cleared his throat before turning around to face Mio. 

"I want to be the last one to give your birthday present. They say the last ones are here to stay" Zuko handed him the necklace. Mio simply stared at it with wide eyes. There was an orange-red flame with Z∞M engraved on it. Mio held the necklace in his hands as he hugged Zuko. 

"Zuko, I love it!" He smiled brightly when they separated, "Could you help me put it on?"

Zuko nodded. Mio turned around and pulled his shoulder-length hair up, "All done!"

He let his hair fall back down and faced Zuko, "How does it look?" He asked.

Zuko smiled at him, a light blush spreading on his cheeks, "Beautiful." And for a moment, they both looked at each other, the relaxing breeze of the wind brushing against their red faces. Zuko then quickly reached in to place an innocent kiss on Mio's cheek. 

He sat back down and looked at him nervously. Mio chuckled lightly, startling the Prince, "You're tense, come on, let's watch the stars" Mio smiled at him once more as he rested his head on Zuko's chest.

"Happy birthday, Mimi."

❥・❥

Zuko frowned and stopped himself from continuing. He stood in front of Shoko's door, he wanted to apologize for snapping at him and using harsh words. He acted like Azula. She would make her servants feel bad about themselves just to entertain herself. 

"Water Tribe-"

"I think he prefers being called Shoko"." Zuko turned around to see his Uncle walking toward him, hands wrapped together, his long red sleeves covering them. "And I think It's time to apologize to your friend Prince Zuko." 

"Uncle, the Water Tribe peasant isn't my friend, far from it" Zuko huffed defensively, shaking his head slowly, his ponytail swaying behind from the movement. "I don't want friends, especially not a Water Tribe peasant."

"Prince Zuko, when did you last make a friend?" Iroh placed a hand on Zuko's shoulder, "I remember receiving letters from you and Mio. Such a kind and enthusiastic boy."

"Don't mention his name-" Zuko glared at the door in front of him, clenching his fist tightly, "He's dead."

Iroh sighed and took his hand back, "If you want his forgiveness, or for him to even look you in the eyes, then I highly suggest you start calling him by his name. 

"Whatever" Zuko replied and pinched the bridge of his nose. His Uncle sighed deeply before leaving. Once he was out of sight, Zuko turned to face the metal door, glaring at it distastefully. 

He turned his head again to see some servants onboard, they walked past him with Shoko's soaked clothes in hand. "I think I know how to apologize now," Zuko said to himself quietly, walking down the hallway. He needed to stop by the nearest village for a quick moment and intended to notify the captain as he walked upstairs. 

❥・❥

Shoko rubbed his eye, he was currently studying a scroll that was on the shelves inside his room. Reading and re-reading Fire Nation history. Although it bored him, there was nothing else to do. He would usually be around Zuko, teasing him about his strange haircut and other things. He flinched when a loud knock erupted on his door. He raised his head to look at the door, "Who is it?"

"Zuko" The Prince replied. Shoko scrambled to reroll the scroll, throwing it at his bed, and walked up to the door. 

"Hurry up. I don't have all day" Zuko huffed as Shoko finally opened the door. There stood the Prince of the Fire Nation with a small box, he shoved the box into Shoko's chest, who quickly grasped the sides. "I saw these clothes and thought of you. It's time for you to dress more like your culture."

Shoko blankly stared at the box in his hands. "Thank you, Prince Zuko," He said and moved the box over to his bed so he could open it. Inside was a neatly folded shirt that was soft to the touch, and some other pieces of clothing folded neatly underneath as well. Shoko grabbed the hem of his shirt and pulled it over his head, causing Zuko to turn his head out of respect, but his eyes wandered to Shoko's long black hair. 

'Why does he choose to keep it long? Doesn't it get in the way of fighting?'

His gaze shifted elsewhere when he noticed Shoko changing his pants. 

Shoko pulled his hair into a high ponytail, but not one that would match Zuko's. He now wore a black tank top and a crimson red kimono over it, much like his other clothes, only this one revealed the middle of his chest. He picked up the black obi and wrapped it around his stomach to close the bottom of his kimono, with baggy dark brown pants that snugly stopped at his ankles, finishing his look as he placed his boots back on. 

"Woah" Shoko whispered as he looked himself up and down in front of the mirror. "It's pretty" His fingers traced the golden decors on the hem of his kimono. 

Zuko finally turned around, "Of course. They came at a high price" Shoko faced him with a bright smile. 

"Red... looks... good on you..." Zuko struggled to say. Shoko nodded in agreement and threw himself onto the Prince, wrapping his arms around his waist. Zuko's eyes widened a bit from surprise before hesitantly pulling his hands out to return the hug. 

Though their sweet moment was quickly interrupted when Zuko pulled away, an awkward look on his face, "Okay, never do that again."

Shoko sternly yet playfully nodded in reply. 

"Bu-"

"Prince Zuko! We have word that nearby prisoners were released from their ships!" A soldier reported. Zuko instantly snapped his head toward him, "The Avatar was there!" He clenched his fist. "Make course toward the ship. Maybe he left something that could indicate where he's going." The soldier bowed before hurrying off. 

Shoko only smiled as his hands ran through his comfortable clothes. Zuko faced him with a frown and looked in the other direction when Shoko noticed he was staring. The hug was sudden and awkward, but some part, deep inside of him, felt it to be kind of nice.

"I'll see you at dinner" Zuko coughed into his fist. "Uh, bye?"

Zuko turned when Shoko called out for him to wait, "Thank you Zuko! I mean it! They're really comfortable, I love them!" He said and moved back to sit on his bed. 

Zuko made his way back to the deck, his cheeks dusted a light pink, but only of embarrassment, he noted to himself.

"No matter the past, present, or future, they will always call you a monster. And there's nothing you can do to fit in with people that despise you. All they see is a mad dog who can't control itself and destroys everything in its way."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

760K 19.4K 54
❝ oh 𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮.... You make such fools of us all ❞ .✫*゚・゚。.☆.*。・゚✫*. .✫*゚・゚。.☆.*。・゚✫*. .✫*゚・゚。.☆.*。・゚✫*. (Y/N) grew up as an aristocratic noble who...
212K 8.6K 106
Years before the Siege of Ba Sing Se, General Iroh discovers a young girl among the remains of a decimated Water Tribe village. Raised in the heart o...
264K 6.7K 43
~Story of the Ponytail Prince and Lion's Mane~ Life is full of surprises and one of these gift packages have been found by Zuko. Sorry, the package f...
129K 3.5K 37
Kya is now taken captive to the Fire Nation and faced with choosing herself over her beliefs. Siding with Azula for a better chance at survival Kya s...