Refining the Heavens 5 (炼天五)

By AlanTang

Rated 4.7 out of 5 stars, 12 reviews on Amazon.com. [A.K.A. Kairos Astroire & the Lower Realm] A spell reboun... More

Chapter 1: Axis Mundi
Chapter 2: Summoned Heroes
Chapter 3: Memory Realm
Chapter 4: Enemies (Part 1)
Chapter 5: Enemies (Part 2)
Chapter 6: Unfettered
Chapter 7: Linda
Chapter 8: God's Tongue
Chapter 9: Another Traveler
Chapter 10: True God's Tongue
Chapter 11: Devil Possession
Chapter 12: Maiden of Light
Chapter 13: Item Box Spell
Chapter 14: Blacken Soot City
Chapter 15: Edgar
Chapter 16: Apprenticeship Test (Part 1)
Chapter 17: Apprenticeship Test (Part 2)
Chapter 18: Apprenticeship Test (Part 3)
Chapter 19: Axis Forging Techniques
Chapter 20: Five Dwarven Scrolls
Chapter 21: Shopping in the Otherworld
Chapter 22: Egg Gambling (Part 1)
Chapter 23: Egg Gambling (Part 2)
Chapter 24: Egg Gambling (Part 3)
Chapter 25: Royalty
Chapter 26: Convincing the Senior Disciples (Part 1)
Chapter 27: Convincing the Senior Disciples (Part 2)
Chapter 28: The Five Masters (Part 1)
Chapter 29: The Five Masters (Part 2)
Chapter 31: Audience with the Dwarven King
Chapter 32: Otherworld Techniques (Part 1)
Chapter 33: Otherworld Techniques (Part 2)
Chapter 34: Friend of the Dwarves
Chapter 35: Change of plans
Chapter 36: New Spells
Chapter 37: Heavenly Sight
Chapter 38: A King's Choice
Chapter 39: The Grimmest Smile of Gaia
Chapter 40: Raiding the Embassy
Chapter 41: Circle 1 Spells
Chapter 42: Follow the Light
Chapter 43: Three Strangers
Chapter 44: A Favour
Chapter 45: Respectful Distance
Chapter 46: Relestia's Rampage (Part 1)
Chapter 47: Relestia's Rampage (Part 2)
Chapter 48: Trial of the Heart Demon (Part 1)
Chapter 49: Trial of the Heart Demon (Part 2)
Chapter 50: Mana Creations
Chapter 51: Exterminus
Chapter 52: The Reapers
Chapter 53: Gossips
Chapter 54: Against an Army (Part 1)
Chapter 55: Against an Army (Part 2)
Chapter 56: I cannot die yet
Chapter 57: Heroes (Part 1)
Chapter 58: Heroes (Part 2)
Chapter 59: Visiting Thunderstalk
Chapter 60: To become Cultivators
Chapter 61: Story of Another World
Chapter 62: Guild Branch (Part 1)
Chapter 63: Guild Branch (Part 2)
Chapter 64: Avalon
Chapter 65: I have some explaining to do
Chapter 66: Princess Luftie (Part 1)
Chapter 67: Princess Luftie (Part 2)
Chapter 68: The Princess' Test
Chapter 69: Winter Drake Nest (Part 1)
Chapter 70: Winter Drake Nest (Part 2)
Chapter 71: Winter Drake Nest (Part 3)
Chapter 72: Have you heard, the princess' test?
Chapter 73: The King's Greed
Chapter 74: The Maid's Punishment
Chapter 75: Luftie Meets Jim
Chapter 76: Town Development
Chapter 77: Phase Arts
Chapter 78: New Roads
Chapter 79: First Dungeon Run (Part 1)
Chapter 80: First Dungeon Run (Part 2)
Chapter 81: Darkness Befell (Part 1)
Chapter 82: Darkness Befell (Part 2)
Chapter 83: Darkness Befell (Part 3)
Chapter 84: Darkness Befell (Part 4)
Chapter 85: Darkness Befell (Part 5)
Chapter 86: Magic Augmentation
Chapter 87: Wounds
Chapter 88: Puppeteer
Chapter 89: Adversity and Misfortune
Chapter 90: Reboot
Chapter 91: Now you cannot run
Chapter 92: Escaped
Chapter 93: Meeting Old Friends
Chapter 94: Visiting the Elven Lands
Chapter 95: Elven Forest (Part 1)
Chapter 96: Elven Forest (Part 2)

Chapter 30: Unveiling Ancient Secrets

61 5 0
By AlanTang

Kairos was steeped in deep research for the next three days without sleeping. For a cultivator, even a wounded one that have no Ki left in his body, this barely made him tired. In the end, what is considered critical condition to Kairos would be called energetic on a regular person.

During this time, he will only leave the study to seek guidance with the masters, as well as return to the inn during lunch and dinner to stay with his friends.

For the first two days, Kairos simply walked out of the house after greeting Master Edgar.

However, on the third day, the other students started noticing the pattern. For students, they may only exit to run errands for the master. At first, they thought Kairos had been tasked to purchase special materials, especially when they heard he is working on a special project with Master Edgar and his friends.

However, his timing was too regular before lunch and dinner each day, and he quickly became suspicious.

His seniors quickly grouped up and asked Kairos on why he is leaving. Everyone was jealous.

Glittersprout and the rest contributed a lot to this. Despite their group were kicked out from this place, they were not abdicated by their master, and thus they were waiting until Edgar's temper simmered down and let them return.

In the meantime, the nine seniors camped outside the house, waiting for an opportunity to return. Whenever a student came out to buy the daily supplies, they will bombard the person with questions. Of course, they will specifically ask about Kairos as well and fan the flames.

After days, things devolved to the situation where Kairos found himself surrounded by many unhappy dwarves.

On the side, the only elf in this place took one look at the commotion and went back to work.

Soon, the only sound in this place is her hammering. The elf's fixation on improving her craft is legendary. Kairos privately looked over to her with a deep respect about how passionate she is for blacksmithing.

In that glace, he saw for the first time how this senior disciple forges her blades. Her arms had been enlarged nearly three times the normal size with magic.

Kairos could tell that it is an expert level spell, but it is barely helping her mould the tough ore.

An elf's physical strength, even after it had been boosted, is still beneath the power the dwarves wield their hammers with.

Without the necessary strength needed to hammer out the impurities, she had to resort to a compounding technique.

In fact, it is very similar to the Sixty-four Fiend Slayer Strikes – the metal refining technique Kairos had learnt - despite it being obviously created by the elf.

To be able to create such an advanced skill by herself without anyone's guidance, she is truly a genius.

When Kairos looked at her, he could even see master Siegfried's image slightly overlap her movement.

Kairos turned his head back towards the students surrounding him.

"Why are you leaving every time at lunch and dinner?"

"You're just heading home to rest aren't you?"

"That's unfair! All of us left home to focus on blacksmithing, why can you leave as you like?"

The other students are still complaining, and after a moment of silence, Kairos spoke up, "I'm going out to make lunch and dinner for my family..."

His seniors expectedly became railed up with his reply and became even more agitated than before... until he added, "And I have permission from Master Edgar because I need to spend some time everyday looking after my brews."

Hearing this, a few of them started openly drooling.

It's as expected since everyone here are dwarves, well except for the elf still hammering away in the back of the room.

However, the elf's ears also twitched slightly when she heard that Kairos is brewing drinks.

All of them had heard about Kairos' ale by now.

At the very least, they know that it is what Kairos gave the Master Edgar to be accepted for a test in the first place.

The dwarves are crazy about their drinks, but this doesn't mean that elves and the other races don't like ale as well.

Almost immediately, someone bit the bait.

"If... if... it's to take care of your brew, we totally understand."

"But, isn't it still unfair for us if you get to go home, every day?"

"Maybe... if you share some..."

"Junior student, you will be left behind if you don't focus on your tasks wholeheartedly, but as your seniors we can guide you on any questions you have."

"So, umm..."

"Uhhh..."

Kairos nodded, "Let me borrow the kitchen for a while."

In an instant, Kairos took out the ingredients he need for lunch that day, as well as some items needed to ferment his ale. Every day while cooking, he will make more bottles of brew, planning to sell them.

His funds, while impressive, is the treasury of merely one Jarl. If he was not careful, it will all be used up quickly.

After some time, he quickly whipped up food for all the senior students, and he kept the drinks he newly brewed into his ring.

When Kairos opened the door of the kitchen, alluring smell wafted into the house, instantly causing everyone to stare intently at the source.

Kairos smiled, saying, "I don't think I can carry all these by myself."

Almost instantly, the dwarves closest to the kitchen rushed in and took all the different platters out.

They all went to the dinning mass in another room and there, their master, Edgar and his friends, Amethyst, Blunderspark, Whittleblade, and Firewrought, are all waiting there.

In fact, Edgar had already tied up a napkin around his beard in ready mode.

When he saw Kairos, he smiled and nodded with great happiness.

Kairos took several platters of food over to the masters with a strange smile stuck on his face.

"How did the masters know?"

The five dwarven masters looked everywhere, except at Kairos.

Edgar, with lips twitching said, "We were waiting here for lunch and dinner for the past three days."

Just as he sounded embarrassed, his tone suddenly raised a pitch and added, "You told us you will cook, but didn't until today."

"It is student's fault," Kairos admitted, appeasing to his elders as he set the table for them.

However, none of them started eating. The five of them stared intently at Kairos, waiting for him to continue.

Kairos sighed, then said, "It's not good to drink on an empty stomach," however he took out several bottles and gave to the masters.

The five elder dwarves almost jumped out of their chairs and happily took the drinks from Kairos.

The other students could only watch with large begging eyes, and when Kairos noticed them he freely gave each a pot of ale as well. Kairos received their looks of gratefulness with smiles.

They know how much the drinks are worth, with dwarves being the natural connoisseurs of wine, ale, and generally anything alcoholic.

Surprisingly, the hammering had stopped.

Kairos spotted at the corner of the dining room, his senior – the only elf in this place, Von Von Arisfon – had also took a dish and a pot of ale. In fact, she has been Edgar's student for the longest period of time amongst all others, because she couldn't graduate all these time.

She gave him a nod, and for the first time since Kairos saw this senior of his, she smiled.

Suddenly, the room went quiet.

The dwarves had noticed this tiny interaction, and they had a silent uproar in their hearts.

When she smiled, she looked ten times more attractive than before and all of them openly admired as if her face was a work of art. This isn't just the first time for Kairos to see her smile. It was also the same for everyone else, despite this they did not have any jealousy towards Kairos. After all, he is too excellent to be able to produce such ale.

If any race on the Axis is said to be the most charming, it will definitely be the elegant and graceful elves.

They are made to look good, like flowers amongst the other races.

And, dwarves have great appreciation for beauty.

However, Kairos returned her smile with a nod and excused himself.

He did not know that this simple gesture of politeness brought waves into everyone's heart, especially for the elf herself.

Living in her country where everyone is delicate and beautiful, her looks while outstanding would not turn too many heads.

Yet out here with the dwarves and other races, her beauty often made her a target of unwanted affection and envy.

When Kairos gave a cordial response, the dwarves that saw it was filled with disbelief. For goodness sake, she is the number one beauty in all of Blacken Soot City.

But for the elf, that untainted look in Kairos' eyes was something rare.

She thought to herself, this person, might be able to be friends with her.

After making peace with all his seniors, Kairos stepped out of Edgar's place and continued towards Relestia and the others. In his time-space ring are the dishes for today's lunch.

His steps hurried. Although time is dilated in the storage, this is a pretty ancient ring on his hand, and the effects are poor.

Just minutes after Kairos had left the place, Sparrow and her father came running over to find him.

The royal princess and the High Prince were welcomed into the dining hall, and straight away the two helped themselves to the food and ale.

Just a whiff the two knew that everything was made by Kairos, and whatever they wanted to say can be left after they had their fill.

Fortunately, Kairos made more than necessary, since dwarves can rapidly burn through any amount of food they put into their tummies – it is something unique to their constitution.

After the princess and her father had their fill and a little more, the others started asking what was their hurry.

Only then did the princess jumped up in shock, "Ah! I totally forgot! The king summoned Kairos!"

Every dwarf in the room jumped up, out of their seats, like cats that had their tails stepped upon.

"WHAT?!"

Their unison roar shook the room and all the plates on the table.

Meanwhile, in the palace, a majestic looking dwarf with great grey beard and full mane of hair sat waiting on his throne.

His stomach growled as it is past lunch time, but the guests had not yet arrive.

"... It couldn't be thatthose two had forgotten me, could it?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

434K 15.3K 156
Kichirou Saiyaku was your average 28-year-old shut-in NEET. The type who locked themselves away to always play video games, watch anime, and read man...
7.9K 363 64
A dragon. A girl. A deal sealed in blood. Lightning flickered over the dragon's onyx scales. "You will have to walk through fire and death. You will...
7.8K 689 104
- Continuing from book 2 Chapter 87 - Rated 4.7 out of 5 stars, 12 reviews on Amazon.com. [A.K.A. Kairos Astroire & the Silent Lambs Empire] Jones we...