The Golden Quartet (Harry Pot...

By AutumnRxses5

The Golden Trio has been inseparable their first couple of years at Hogwarts. Everything changed their third... More

Third Year - Chapter 1
Third Year - Chapter 2
Third Year - Chapter 3
Third Year - Chapter 4
Third Year - Chapter 5
Third Year - Chapter 6
Third Year - Chapter 7
Third Year - Chapter 8
Third Year - Chapter 9
Fourth Year - Chapter 10
Fourth Year - Chapter 11
Fourth Year - Chapter 12
Fourth Year - Chapter 13
Fourth Year - Chapter 15
Fourth Year - Chapter 16
Fourth Year - Chapter 17
Fourth Year - Chapter 18
Fourth Year - Chapter 19
Fourth Year - Chapter 20
Fourth Year - Chapter 21
Fifth Year - Chapter 22
Fifth Year - Chapter 23
Fifth Year - Chapter 24
Fifth Year - Chapter 25
Sixth Year - Chapter 26
Sixth Year - Chapter 27
Sixth Year - Chapter 28
Sixth Year - Chapter 29
Sixth Year - Chapter 30
Seventh Year - Chapter 31
Seventh Year - Chapter 32
Seventh Year - Chapter 33
Seventh Year - Chapter 34
Seventh Year - Chapter 35
Post Hogwarts (Epilogue) - Chapter 36
~ AUTHOR'S MESSAGE ~

Fourth Year - Chapter 14

436 16 1
By AutumnRxses5

Harry shakily walked up to you. He picked up the piece of paper at your feet, reading it over as if it would change. You watched him walk away with the other champions into some room. The Great Hall was technically dismissed but none of you knew what to do. Someone putting your name in must have been a joke— the squib that was too young to compete and hated the whole tournament. But Harry? No one was sure what exactly was happening. You all went to bed quietly after that. Even when Cedric came back, the entire Hufflepuff common room gave him a round of applause but went to bed right after rather than staying up and celebrating.

You wrote to your father right away. He would want to know and maybe he could help. Although, you don't think he or James got into anything this big while at Hogwarts but maybe he would still be able to help. You looked around your room at the costume that was still on your bed.

Everyone was supposed to come back to the Great Hall to have a Halloween party before Harry got picked. Even the purebloods who were against the notion of dressing in costumes because muggles did it reluctantly agreed when the entire school started spreading the idea that it could be fun. Everyone had become more into it when they realized that it was a chance to run absolutely wild in the halls because Halloween was one of the few days that there was no curfew at Hogwarts. You had planned to go as Rowena Ravenclaw so you could wear the diadem that your father got you.

Most people didn't know what it looked like anymore and if they didn't read the inscription on the side, they might not have realized the blue sapphires were chosen because it belonged to Ravenclaw. But you didn't want to take the chance of it being recognized so Halloween seemed like the perfect and only opportunity to wear it. But no one came back out. So, you shoved the costume into your trunk. You were going to hide the diadem too but decided to display it proudly on your dresser drawer. It wasn't like anyone came into your room anyway.

Breakfast the next day seemed gloomy somehow. Harry hadn't come down yet when you got to the Hall. Ron seemed to be scowling at his cereal. Hermione mouthed what was going on. Ron took his last bite, wiping his mouth with his sleeve, before standing up.

"Where are you going?" you asked. "I thought the four of us were going to Hagrid's. You know we could go to Hogsmeade, Harry and I did yesterday. No one even knew we walked right out the front door."

"Maybe later. I've got some Divination homework, (Y/N/N)."

"Alright, well, see you in class."

"Yeah, see you."

Hermione stood up moments later, you both agreeing that maybe it was best to try and talk to him. You grabbed a plate and put some toast, eggs, and bacon on it. You also grabbed two cups of water, balancing everything carefully. You were thankful that you didn't have to go very far because Harry was descending the stairs near the Hall. You handed him the water cups.

"Good, you're awake, I was worried I would have to remember your common room's password. I was thinking we could eat by the lake."

"Isn't the Durmstrang ship there?"

"I'm trying not to think about that. It'll be nice. Early morning, sun's still coming up, it's a good break before class."

"Sure..." Harry followed you. "Where is everyone?"

"Homework. Hermione's making Ron get started early," you lied.

"You know you don't have to lie to protect me," Harry said as you guys entered the grassy area. "He still thinks I put my name in doesn't he?"

"It is strange, Harry."

"Do you think I put my name in?"

You guys reached the lake and sat down near it. The Durmstrang boat was very daunting but you tried not to pay attention to it. The plate sat in between the two of you. You shivered slightly. You regretted not putting on your grey pullover, opting for just the long sleeve white shirt. You didn't have your robe either, not bothering to bring it. Harry watched you shiver as you grabbed a piece of bacon. He took off his robe and handed the bundle to you.

"Thanks. I don't think you put your name in but I think someone did. And I think they did it on purpose. Please be careful."

"I will."

"No. I mean it, Harry. The goblet felt weird and cold when I touched it and then I grabbed a paper with your name on it somehow. I know we talked about it and I know I'm new to it and banshees are always paranoid but this feels deeper than that. Please. Be careful."

Harry swallowed his bite of toast. "Well, I don't really want to die either, (Y/N/N). I'll be careful. At least someone believes me— I can't believe Ron thi—"

"Harry! He's jealous."

"Jealous?"

"You get all the attention. We love being your friends but being friends with the Chosen One isn't easy. Ron's the middle child of a bunch of family members. He's never had anything for himself in his life. If a random fourteen year old somehow got into a competition that was only for seventeen year olds, wouldn't he'd wish it was him? Everyone wished it was them and it was you. The Chosen One."

"That's ridiculous."

"To you. It probably meant a lot to him... doesn't matter, now though. It'll all blow over in a few days."

You didn't mean for your statement to be a lie. It just turned out that way. After the initial shock finally wore off, it was like the whole school had turned on Harry. The thought of another champion was fun when everyone thought that it was going to be another seventeen year old. Harry was waiting for you outside the barrels of the common room. You could hear the Hufflepuffs coming out and scoffing as they saw him. Cedric stopped and turned to you.

"I'll see you in class, (Y/N), need to get my notebook back from Delta before her Charms class starts."

You huffed in annoyance, knowing that he was lying. Harry watched the older boy walk away. You linked arms with him. Harry looked at where you guys were connected.

"At least you and 'Mione still believe in me. So much for a just and nice House."

You laughed and started to walk. "Sorry, they all kind of feel like you stole our thunder. Cedric getting picked meant Hufflepuff was important and then Gryffindor came back and stole it right from us... I shouldn't even be talking to you right now, it's fraternizing with the enemy."

"Oh, ha ha, very funny (Y/N/N)."

You stopped outside the Potions classroom and turned to face Harry. He moved to grab your hand instead now that their arms were separated. You gave him a smile.

"It's true. You are currently my enemy, Harry Potter. I could lose all Puff credibility."

"Puff credibility? This is why everyone makes fun of your House."

"You're just jealous Gryffindor didn't think of something cool."

"Puff credibility is the farthest thing you can get from cool."

"Whatever. I heard the Daily Prophet came yesterday. How was it? That's the reason most of Hufflepuff is mad by the way. Cedric said it felt like they were writing more about you, he only got like three questions. "

"I hate the reporter. Rita Skeeter, she's foul. They came for pre-interviews and to weigh our wands."

"Wand weighing?"

"Something about knowing everyone's base standards before the tournament starts. I guess to check for cheating, I don't know. You know you and Krum have the same wand."

"Hornbeam and unicorn hair?"

"Oh, no, Cedric's was unicorn hair. Krum's was dragon heartstring I think. But they're both hornbeam. Ollivander practically lit up at seeing it."

"His wand's hornbeam, I remember him saying it when I got my wand. He doesn't sell a lot of them, they're really picky about their owners."

Harry opened his mouth to say something else when you both jumped at the flash of a camera. Rita Skeeter was there along with some members of the ministry. Dumbledore had to show them around campus— the tournament was going to mean lots of visitors for the school. Rita gave a slimy smile.

"Harry, dear, you didn't mention young love in yesterday's interview... this isn't the girl that was with you yesterday."

"No, that was Hermi— wait, what?"

Rita stepped closer, looking at you instead of Harry. "How do you feel about your boyfriend—"

"We're not togeth—"

"Did he enter the competition for you?"

"Me?" you practically screamed.

"Boys do stupid things to impress their girlfriends, why else would a twelve—"

"I'm fourteen," Harry cut in.

The door to the Potions class opened. You abruptly let go of Harry's hand, realizing that Rita probably got a picture of it. Snape stood in the doorway. He wasn't even looking at you but was sneering at both Harry and Rita.

"If you would release my student so she can do her work. She is supposed to be demonstrating proper brewing techniques of felix felicis."

The moment Snape said that, you rushed past him and into the classroom to take your seat. Rita perked up. She peered inside the classroom to see her thoughts confirmed that you were in an advanced class. She almost stopped when she blinked at seeing you sit next to Cedric— his hand was on your back as you laughed at something he said.

"Oh, Harry," she started, causing all the students in the classroom to turn. "Not only is your girl incredibly smart but it appears you have competition. Dear, what is your name? Never mind, I'll find it. Do you have a thing for champions?"

Snape slammed the door in her face at the same moment you slammed your head on the desk— Cedric shoving the textbook underneath before your head could actually hit the wood. All the seventh years looked at you. You slowly lifted your head to see them all quickly scramble and pretend to start writing in their notebooks. You turned to look at Cedric.

"Great, now the entire wizarding world is going to think I'm dating the two of you... Merlin's Beard, my dad is going to read it!"

Cedric did nothing but give you an amused smile as Snape called you to the front of the room. Embarrassment quickly wore off as you began talking about felix felicis. The other students intensely took notes as you began to dive into the history of the potion. Snape had a very different teaching style than you did. Probably because you were also a student but you attempted to answer all questions nicely while Snape suggested they could look it up later in the textbook instead of bothering you. You were going to be taking over the class the entire time felix felicis was going to be worked on— a week for now and then another class in six months when the potions finished brewing.

By the time the afternoon rolled around, the seventh years had spread to the entire school that Snape let you teach. He never does that. Any other time, you would relish in that. Now you were worried that it would just be one more stupid thing for Rita Skeeter to publish. You very quickly and messily wrote letters to Remus and Sirius— you absolutely refused to have them believe the paper even if for a split second. You entered the Great Hall surprised to see Hermione at the table.

"Normally, you're in the library."

She huffed. "Viktor Krum has taken to studying in there which means a bunch of giggling girls have taken to watching him and they for the life of them don't know how to shut up!"

"Well, maybe you should stop for today, 'Mione. They're letting everyone go down to Hogsmeade before the competition even if it's not the weekend. I know your classes are finished. Take Harry and go to Honeydukes."

"Are you not coming?"

"Thursday tea and Ron and I are running an errand."

Hermione nodded and agreed that she would take a break and go with Harry to the candy shop. You walked to your last class which you normally didn't have at this time. Alchemy had to be pushed back because Professor Flamel thought it would be easier to teach Hogwarts students with the Beauxbaton girls that were there but failed to mention that until that morning. You sat at your desk and began to rifle through your notes. You looked out the window while waiting on Flamel to show up to class.

The Alchemy classroom sat on the ground floor. You liked it that way. It was one of the few classes you took that was on the ground floor and sat right along one of the courtyards. You almost jumped in shock when you saw your cousin jump down from a tree. You couldn't hear what was happening but you could see him and Harry arguing. Normally that made you roll your eyes and you would just ignore them but you saw Professor Moody as well. Suddenly, your cousin was a ferret. You jumped up from your seat and began banging on the window. Your banging caught the attention of McGonagall who was walking by in the outdoor corridor. She looked at you and your pointing and then frantically jumped to help. You sat in your seat, frustrated that you couldn't leave, and made a serious note to talk to Professor Dumbledore.

Whatever Cedric said to the headmaster clearly didn't do much because Moody's teaching was still awful as ever. You tried not to think about it, knowing Draco would tell you all about it at tea. Going back to your notes, you pulled out your Herbology textbook to copy some things that you wrote in the margins of the textbook. Professor Flamel walked over and stopped in front of your desk.

"Word around this school is that you brewed felix felicis at thirteen?" He tapped on your notebook. "You just finished teaching a class?"

"I assisted Professor Snape this morning."

Flamel laughed. "Assisted, incredible. What is this?"

"I wanted to start early on our final project. I want to pull it off, alchemy."

"You're really passionate, aren't you?"

"Professor... any of the professors here will tell you, I will get the highest marks in whatever I can. I don't like people thinking I can't do something because I'm a squib. That means I have to be good at alchemy too. I have to."

"Drive is important but knowing not to push yourself too much is important as well."

"I understand. This is just to pass class, I'm thinking of boiling down certain minerals to separate them into their respective salts. The Chinese alchemist we studied, well he says salt was considered gold at one point. That's got to actually mean something." You flipped notebook pages. "This is what I really want to work on. It's going to take me until seventh year, probably longer, honestly."

Flamel peered down and read your scribbles. "These aren't metals... is this plant alchemy?"

"I'm the best in Herbology, I thought it might make more sense for me to try Spagyric."

"Well, I'm not an expert in that by any means."

"I know everyone is concerned with metals and life elixirs from stones but plants are just as interesting. Arguably Spagyric is an underrepresented subset of Alchemy, it's a shame. Yesterday, Neville and I went diving in the lake for Bubble Lilies. We didn't get them, the giant squid swam by and we both got too scared."

"Bubble Lilies... class is dismissed, you all enjoy your day."

You stayed behind at Professor Flamel's request. The two of you went into his office where he poured you tea— Draco would understand later why you missed your weekly meeting. Even he knew how big of a deal Flamel talking to any student privately was. You weren't expecting the professor's office to be as plush as it was but you found yourself sinking into the armchair. Flamel made his tea bitter. He offered you a biscuit.

"I know a talent when I see one, Ms. Black. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?"

"Professor, when you made the Philosopher's Stone, why did you do it?"

"For the same reason as any alchemist. Turning metals into silver and gold, the elixir of life, universal solvent. We never got to figure out if the stone could really dissolve every material but two out of three isn't too bad."

"I don't want those. I don't think we are meant to live forever, I don't terribly care about that."

"Almost all students make that their project goals. If not the elixir of life or gold then what?"

"Magic."

"Magic?" he repeated.

You went to put another sugar cube in your tea.

"Mr. Filch is a squib. Sometimes kids here make fun of him when they catch glimpses of his magic for babies book if he accidentally leaves it out. He doesn't have a wand, can't cast a spell. Do you know who Angus Buchanan is, Professor? He managed to get all the way to the Sorting Hat before it declared he didn't have any magic and kicked him out. And then there's me. Three squibs made it to Hogwarts, all the others are still out there. I was going to leave the wizard world before I got in."

"That would have been a shame."

"I agree... Alchemy is trying to find the highest and lowest point of existence. Metal's highest existence is gold, life's highest existence is immortality. We never figured out magic. But we know the lowest point is being a muggle. They have no magic so that must be its base but what's the highest?"

"I don't actually know, Ms. Black. Enlighten me."

"I've been reading all the books in the library— that aren't in the restricted section. There's this thing called an Obscurus. It happens when a wizard consciously suppresses their magic until the energy is too much and the magic turns in on itself until it becomes a sentient energy and explodes out of the wizard. It happened to a boy named Credence Barebone, he's the most famous case. That must be magic's highest point. It's own sentience. The only problem is because of the nature of suppression, an Obscurus is technically dark magic. I don't want squibs to have dark magic, I just want to awaken our own."

"That is ambitious."

"And will take me forever... if it even works. This depends on me being right about the Obscurus and there is just not enough reading on it. There's barely enough on squibs."

"It took me years to even come up with a plan to start creating the Philosopher's Stone. You already have a solid one. That is half the battle. Besides, the real fun begins."

"Experiments?"

"Exactly... if you don't mind me asking. Why were you and— Neville was it— diving in the lake for Bubble Lilies?"

"First experiment. The nectar always spoils before it can be used but we know it has healing and rejuvenating properties because of the merpeople that eat it. When Hermione offered to start helping me learn spells, I noticed that I could physically feel my magic and feel myself being drained. So that's the first step isn't it? Rejuvenating magic so there's enough to work with? There isn't any work on giving squibs magic but I assume other wizards have tried so starting with common healing plants is probably pointless."

"Potentially, but you should still look at known plants."

"Yes, Professor."

"Let me know the more you figure it out. I'm fascinated by this... would you like to apprentice me this summer, Ms. Black? At Beauxbatons?"

Your eyes went wide. "I-I would love to."

Professor Flamel nodded and you finished your tea before leaving. Draco understood when you caught him in the hall. He was excited for you, telling you that it was actually an amazing idea. You rolled your eyes a bit because of course he would say that. Draco was your number one fan— when he wasn't being a git, you were his number one fan as well. Even if you ultimately failed, he would say it wasn't your fault. He would probably claim that magic and squibness must not fall under the rules of alchemy and that's why you didn't accomplish the goal. You two passed by Hagrid's hut when you saw the half-giant pacing.

"Hagrid, shouldn't you be on your date now?" you asked.

"Someone hasn't shown up with the present for my date."

"The big present or the small one?"

Hagrid scratched his beard. "The very small, nearly invisible one."

You nodded in understanding and pushed Draco back towards the castle. It was a surprisingly easy mission. He didn't understand who was going on a date with Hagrid— he didn't get why they would want to. And Draco certainly didn't want to help you look for what he thought was some jewelry in Hagrid's hut. With your cousin safely back inside, you practically ran to Hogsmeade.

Your friends were nowhere to be found. You asked the students— ignoring the Potter Stinks badges on their clothes— but they all said the same thing. No one had seen your friends in a while. You groaned so loud that you scared a pigeon. Apologizing to the creature, you stomped through the village and towards the woods. A smile graced your face when you found everyone. If you had been paying more attention, you would have realized that Harry was the only one not standing with Ginny, Hermione, and Ron. But it didn't even occur to you. You just marched up and grabbed Harry by the wrist.

"There you are! Didn't Ron tell you, Hagrid's looking for you? Let's go."

You practically dragged Harry to Hagrid who requested the boy get his Invisibility Cloak and meet him in ten minutes. Harry asked if you wanted to come along but you shook your head. All you wanted was to relax and take care of your plant. The wiggentree sprouted a new leaf which was honestly something you never thought would happen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

553K 21.8K 34
━━ ❪ 𖠵 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆 ❫ ❝𝙧𝙤𝙣, 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙗𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙙𝙮 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙤𝙣!❞ ❝𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙜❞ when y/n l/n, a third year at hogwarts, accidenta...
424K 14.7K 35
Y/N: Your Name L/N: Last Name H/C: Hair Colour E/C: Eye Colour S/C: Skin Colour F/C: Favorite Colour F/F: Favorite Food ...
1.6M 47.1K 35
In which a shy, unnoticed Gryffindor befriends the golden trio. Together, finding out the true secrets of the supposedly murderous, Sirius Black... {...
7.9K 177 15
You are new to Hogwarts in the 4th year. You catch the eye of the Slytherin Prince, Draco Malfoy, and Cedric Diggory. You are friends with the Golden...