Highland Bear (Book 4)

By AzMaz90

The Druids were a hunted people long ago...they made a pact to scatter their children throughout time to keep... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Epilogue
Highland Chieftain

Chapter 36

3.2K 284 42
By AzMaz90

AN - Hi everyone...just a quick word to say, the other day I was hit with an urge to write someting...and so I already have the first chapter of the next book in this series finished, so when I finally manage to get Artair's story fully written, you will be able to move straight onto the next! Enjoy, Az xx

Chapter 36

Up.

Pause.

Down.

Repeat.

Up.

Pause.

Down.

The rhythmic, slow, almost hypnotic rise and fall of the blanket as Rohesia lay breathing gently, as she slept in a deep and healing slumber that did not have him worried over whether she would wake or not. She would wake from this slumber, and all the more rested and healthy for it. And there was only God himself who he could offer his thanks to over it. Leaning forward so as to let his elbows rest against his thighs and his chin resting upon his clasped hands.

His own breathing mirroring that of the woman before him. There was no way that he could move in that moment. Blinking was too much of an inconvenience. He needed to wake her, inform her of what had transpired while she slumbered, but he could not bring himself to change the picture that she created. The peaceful calm which had enveloped the room was such a difference to the pace and worry of the past few hours that he was so loathing to change any of it. For these slow moments which only held the peace of settled quiet, were few and far between, and he had a gut feeling swirling deep inside that he would very much wish for more moments like these in the coming days.

Lowering his face, he scrubbed his hands over it, his stubble scratching against his palms, and catching on callouses at the bases of his fingers. His breath blowing out slowly, his whole body deflating with it, and with only the dim light of the dying fire, and a few candles to light Rohesia, he leaned forward, reaching out and gently took the small delicate hand which had managed to escape the close confines of the warm soft covers.

His thumb skating the backs of her knuckles. He watched as the gentle rhythm he continued, along with a slight squeezing of her fingers caused her to frown within her sleep. He could almost see it as she came further and further to the surface. Sleep slowly, but surely, being left behind, and the peace of the moment was to be shattered. He could only blame himself in that moment, he knew he could wait and let that moment linger, but in the end the outcome would be the same. Someone was out to harm the woman before him, and he would be damned if he let anything happen to her. She was his, and for once in his life, he refused to share anything he had with anyone else, and that meant he had to make sure she survived by himself. For he could accept help from those around him, but in the end it was his decisions which would define the couple that they would one day become…he hoped.

But each journey started with that first, small, tentative step. And it was his unfortunate role to perform that step into the unknown. The unknown which he knew would take them on the road which could lead to both of their deaths…but that he could only hope would lead them both home. He knew she did not feel as if she had one at that moment, and all he could do was hope, hope that she could find a home with him with his clan in the midst of the protective hills and mountains he had grown up roaming.

That was home to him, and one day Rohesia could say the same…all he had to do was make sure they both survived.

Coming out of sleep gradually was both a wonderful time and caused such regret. It was almost as if you floated, but regretted the fact that the feeling was only fleeting and would be gone within moments. Yet, being pulled from such a moment by the gentle pressure of a thumb rubbing gently back and forth over her knuckles, and warmth engulfing her cold fingers as a large hand squeezed them gently.

A smile tugged at the corners of her mouth, the feel of that hand was familiar to her, and she knew exactly who she would see before her when she finally managed to crack her eyelids apart. And sure enough, as she blinked heavy lids back, a very familiar face filled her vision, with a serious expression, but eyes which swallowed her whole with the turmoil of emotion which filled him to the brim. Allowing the smile to flit into place, she tightened her fingers around his and made to sit up. Only for him to move almost in a blur. One moment he was beside her and the next she was firmly upon her back with Artair looming over her, her eyes flitting to his lips to catch the words he spoke. “Nay, you should not be sitting yet, you need as much rest as possible…you may not be getting as much as you need in the coming days.” The confusing comments made her brow furrow, as she tried to grasp their full meaning through a brain clogged a little with the last remnants of sleep.

Nodding silently, she waited a moment, before reaching forward once more. Her fingers grazing the stubble upon his cheek, the small hairs scratching against her fingertips. He seemed to watch her for minutes which felt like hours. Until finally he took hold of her hand and turned it so he could place a gentle kiss upon her palm before taking a seat once more in the chair beside her. But he did not release her hand. Instead he squeezed it a little harder than he had before, though he was not painful at all, almost as if he was reassuring himself that she would not disappear on him. Giving a squeeze of reassurance she traced his face with her eyes.

“What is happening, Artair? Please you are worrying me.” Her brow furrowed and she noted the seriousness that settled over his expression. “Tell me, I am not so fragile, I can take whatever it is, and help in any way I can.” His lips twitched upwards slightly, before falling once more into a grave line as she looked upon him.

The tip of his tongue came out and wet his dry lips as he looked upon her, and she could tell that he was nervous. Whatever he had to say, it really was going to change everything and she had no idea if what she had said was the truth. Was she strong enough to hear this? As he parted his lips she took a deep breath of her own…it looked as if she would have to be.

“Something happened earlier…” his expression gave her all the information she needed to work out what tone of voice he would have used as he talked. She was going to have to pay extra attention to this, and was extremely glad that he was taking his time over his speech, for the light was dimmer than she would have liked and it was taking most of her concentration to read his words.

She ‘listened’ as he explained about Robert and the ambush by the English males. The death of Robert’s men, the trip back to the house, and the suspicions that they had over who had sent these men. She ‘listened’ and nodded where appropriate. Not allowing herself to think overly much while he was talking, she needed to let him finish before she could react in anyway but the numbness which had spread through her at the thought of what her mother could have done was remarkable. She was a cruel women, but this was even beyond what she would have thought her capable at this moment. He then told her of the plan Kendrick had come up with. Trying to keep her mind clear and take in all the details he was trying to inform her off.

It took her some minutes to realise that Artair had fallen still and was awaiting her response. Her mind whirled and she did not know where to start or what to think. Instead she was left with the knowledge that she was to once more cause great upheaval in the life of this male. He had such a good and gentle soul, and she knew he did not always see it within himself. She had already been the cause of such disaster in his life, and now he was willing to drop it all again…for her.

Her brow furrowed. Should he have to do this? No. But from the very look within his eye she knew without a doubt that she could not persuade him from this path that he had chosen. All she could do was make this decision easier for him. Trying to push up once more, and weakly managing to make it so her elbows supported her, if a little weakly. She looked Artair directly in the eye. “So, when are we leaving?”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.4K 2.1K 20
Book 2: After your disappearance, everyone who ever fell in love with you went on the hunt to search for you. The Cullen's meet up with the wolf pack...
156 1 28
What happens when your entire world is ripped away from you? You pray for strength. Kenzlee Raised in a fairyland of the rich and privileged, Kenzlee...
540K 29.8K 51
The Druids were a hunted people long ago...they made a pact to scatter their children throughout time to keep them safe from the massacre to come. Th...
635K 28.7K 23
HIGHEST RANKING #6 in HISTORICAL FICTION! --- For all her life, Lady Evie Verrick had been regaled of tales of the Highlands from her Highland born a...