Highland Bear (Book 4)

By AzMaz90

The Druids were a hunted people long ago...they made a pact to scatter their children throughout time to keep... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Epilogue
Highland Chieftain

Chapter 33

3.1K 285 30
By AzMaz90

Chapter 33

Artair furrowed his brow as he left the comfort of the large house Kendrick had found for them. Kendrick was a lot quieter than he had ever seen him before. There was a crunch under his boot on the fresh top snow that covered the grey sludge underneath. Shaking his head to clear it, he brought his mind back to the topic at hand. Rohesia had been sentient all of around five minutes earlier, and he had lit up inside, he was not able to crush the little bubble of hope that was surfacing that soon she would be back on her feet once more.

“What are you planning?”

Swinging his head in Alfred’s direction, he did not know what to say for a moment. When had this male become his ally? It was a most peculiar thought. “I will let you know when I know.”

A grunt of disapproval was all he gained in response. But since Alfred was not forthcoming with a plan, it was obvious that he was most definitely not in the right mind to make a wonderful plan which would have them storming the breaches. So instead they both stayed silent for a moment, and took the steps to get them closer and closer to the situation he hoped would go his way. Aonghus was better with his words, no matter that it was he who was seen as the twin who gained whatever information was needed. Aonghus used the prettier language, whereas Artair was silent wait it out type…he just did not think he had the patience this time. Not with Robert.

Blowing out a misting breath, he looked up at the blindingly blue sky. It was so crystalline in its clearness that the eyes hurt to look upon the brightness above. As if God himself was making his very presence known. He only hoped that he was on his side this day. The crispness of the air burning a little as he inhaled swiftly, his feet still crunching through the fresh snow, now though it was only a little thinner as he could see more tracks made by busy feet as they entered a busier section of the city. Slowly leaving behind the privacy gained by money and status, and entering the realm of the ordinary people…this was definielty where Artair felt more alive, more himself once more.

Alfred stomped ahead of him, he watched passively as Alfred led the way to the house they had managed to commandeer for this meeting. The occupiers making themselves scarce for the right price. It was neutral ground as far as Robert was concerned. Owner’s away, random area of the city and a brisk walk from either of their own abodes. What Robert did not know was that Kendrick and he had spent at least the first month of their time in Edinburgh living in that house until they had decided to look for their own abode.

As they turned the final corner, a shiver ran down Artair’s spine. A shiver which had nothing to do with the chill of the air. Something was wrong, and he did not know from which direction it was coming from. There were too many bodies around. Too many people going about their business and too many people having motives and abilities that could not be seen or known from the surface. He was a perfect example of that very fact. Alfred, however, was practically at the house they were heading towards.

Tiny warnings sounded in his mind and he knew he had to stop Alfred. Without thinking, he sprang into action. His legs closing the ground between them, his heart thumping. Not calling out, as that could alert anything or anyone within the house. This was not something he wished to surprise. If his gut was right, they had to be very careful about this. Grabbing Alfred by the shoulder just before he could rap his knuckles against the door. His questioning look was tinged by a hard jaw and disapproving expression.

“Artair, what in God’s name are you doing now?” Artair flicked his eyes about, and noticed they had drawn a little attention. Pulling Alfred from the door, he moved him down the street a little. Pushing him against the wall, most having gone back to their own business by now. He waited, watching. As Alfred grew less and less patient at his side, huffing and puffing his lack of patience.

Holding up his hand to halt the male in saying something inanely stupid, Artair finally saw something out of place. His eyes zeroing in on it, and how everyone around it had no idea what they were skirting. It was tiny, hardly anything to go on at all. Except, it was the one thing he knew was not supposed to be here, and the blades hilt was surrounded by snow that had turned a little pink. Calming his breathing helped keep his head clear, all he had to do now was make sure that Alfred kept his head as well.

“Alfred,” his voice neutral, not raised or lowered, as either would attract suspicion. “Look up by the doorway.” With a loud sigh, he threw his shoulder forward knocking into Artair, to look back up the street. “Aye, and what is it exactly I am looking for?”

“The snow drift that was obviously cleared from the doorstep early this morn.” He waited then, and waited some more. “Do ye see it?” Artair had the patience of a saint at times, yet right at this point, he wanted to shake the male next to him point, and shout ‘right there man, are ye blind?’ But of course, he would be the bigger male, he would not let the English man beat him.

“All right, I give Artair. What in the Almighty’s name am I looking at? And why am I freezing off my prize possessions out here when I could be warm inside that house?” The male lumbered around to face him head on.

“We are currently out here because a long time ago I found out that if I respected my gut feelings I stayed alive. And in that snow drift you will see a small dagger handle at an odd angle, and the snow around is stained a little. Not enough to be noticed by any unless you were looking for it specifically.” The incredulous look told him exactly what Alfred was thinking.

“So are we going in or not?”

“Aye. But I am going first, and you will do exactly what I say. I do not care who you were, and whose rules you followed before, but right at this moment, if you want to survive, you follow my orders. Either that…or you stay here.” He pushed enough authority into his voice that Alfred stood up a little straighter. It took a few minutes of silence, as he could see the thinking going on within Alfred. Finally the reluctant nod was gained, and Artair took the lead back to the door.

It was so unassuming, standing as it was in the middle of the street, no difference between it and the door either side of it. There was no reason for someone to target this door over any other…unless something was known of today. His hand on the dirk attached to his belt, he did not pause to knock, instead pushing at the door only for it to swing open with an ominous creek. It was not something that could be heard in the street proper, as the people going about their lives drowned out the sound. No, it was more a noise you felt go through you. One that was only making the gnawing sensation in his stomach that much worse.

No candle light flickered, or fire light glow. Instead the house was in darkness as the shutters had not been opened. Or if they had been, they had been closed again. It only made the house a little more airless and dank. Stepping through the doorway, he had the same feeling he was sure would be akin as to stepping through the gates of hell. His eyes took a little adjustment to the dark, as he stepped through further.

Staying close to the wall, he strained his hearing trying to gain any information he could for what was ahead. The door way to the room the meeting was supposed to take place in was slightly ajar, and the air around them seemed to close in even further. Alfred, for once, even silently taking direction from him.

Stopping at the door frame, he took a deep breath, and the familiar scent of death reached him. But it was still fresh. Not that long ago. His nose twitched. It had been a while since that smell had been forced through his nostrils. Biting at his bottom lip as he considered the value of his plan. Nodding to himself, he spun into the open doorway. Noting two of Roberts’ men lay in positions that it would be rather awkward to sleep in. Also the pools of blood surrounding them gave away their current ability to breathe. A strained cough sounded from the opposite corner, hidden from view Robert’s voice sounded. Pain lacing his words.

“I was wondering when you were going to show.” Another cough, as Artair took in the scene and moved carefully around the scattered chairs. The only item of furniture still in its correct position was the table. Wincing at the sight that greeted him, Artair crouched on the balls of his feet. “Well, Robert, it does not look as if you will be running anywhere for a while.” His right leg was bent at an angle that really was unnatural.

“Was it you who sent the English bastards after me? Is that the way you wish to play this. Kill my men and warn me off?” The coughing fit wracked the whole of Robert’s body, causing him to cry out when he moved his leg accidently. His words having been sinking slowly through Artair’s mind. Sifting through what he had seen and how it all fit together.

When Robert calmed, Artair spelled it out simply for him. “You know the MacKay’s better than that Robert. We do not send anyone to do the work we should be doing ourselves. In fact, we hate the English as much as you, why would we send them to do our dirty work, and what could I possibly have to gain from this?”

Robert glared. “Well, I don’t know do I?” His gaze turned to Alfred as he stood silently looking about the room. “Or was it the English over there that planned this? It was about the lass.”

“They warned you off her?”

Robert furrowed his brow. “Aye, and from the look on your face, either you really did not know or you can school your features with the best of them.” Rubbing his hands down his face, the strain of the pain bracketing his mouth and eyes. “Help me out of here, and you can name your price. I want nothing more to do with this.” Eyes falling on the bodies of his men, Robert swallowed visibly. “I want what is best for my people, and this is not it. You want the lass, have her. I want no part in this again.”

Artair caught Alfred’s grim gaze. Alfred was the one to move first. “I think it is time to move.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.8K 2.1K 20
Book 2: After your disappearance, everyone who ever fell in love with you went on the hunt to search for you. The Cullen's meet up with the wolf pack...
Lost Souls By Kristina_Author

Historical Fiction

88 4 4
"I heard stories be told,.." "About people travelling through time. From somewhere else, they're transported to a strange land. Not knowing what happ...
232 1 28
What happens when your entire world is ripped away from you? You pray for strength. Kenzlee Raised in a fairyland of the rich and privileged, Kenzlee...
364 5 59
Once upon a time, in a small Carolina border town, there lived a woman and her dead best friend's kids. Orphaned at fifteen, Mackenzie Temple can't...