chapter thirty three

chapter thirty three, a fallen soldier

A YEAR HAD PASSED and her family had only just gotten out

A YEAR HAD PASSED and her family had only just gotten out. The wedding of Romeo and Florence had flew past and went, a speck of happiness in the dull time they had just went through. She'd spent half her time either getting money from working at the local boutique in the town square or working with Esme and Linda to get her family out from the prison hell they were at.

She lay beside Isaiah in her house which he had moved into during the time of her family being away along with Finn who usually wasn't around too much except for when he slept into the afternoons.

He was reading out a book he had picked out, as the girl laying across his legs closed her eyes, seeming to be almost falling asleep to his soft voice. The sound of an alarming telephone that echoed around the house from the kitchen made the girl's eyes open as the boy looked down to her with an expecting look.

"Fine, I'll get it." She said, slowly stepping up and moving towards the telephone sitting in the kitchen, "Hello?"

"Kegan, quickly. Check the mail. Keep the line on." John's voice filtered into her ear in a rushed voice as her eyebrows quickly furrowed in confusion.

"Uh, okay. I'll go check now." She replied, setting the phone down and making her way to the door where she opened to see if any packages or mail was left out. She walked inside once not seeing anything about to move into the kitchen before out of the corner of her eye seeing an envelope Isaiah probably brought in. She opened it up quickly, the first thing being seen, the large black hand imprinted onto the paper. "John, there's a letter here with the black hand." She said quickly.

"We got one too." He replied, worry in his tone, "Is Finn and Isaiah there?" He then asked.

"Isaiah is, Finn's by the Garrison." She responded.

"Get Isaiah to go get Finn and take a gun with him in case." The boy responded the girl quickly repeating his words to her lover who stood up quickly, the book flying to the ground as he ran out the door for the boy. "I gotta go call Arthur now, but keep safe. Love you."

"Love you too." She responded, setting the phone down and moving into the living room once again as she all but fell into the seat, re-reading over the letter multiple times before setting it down beside her.

Soon the door opened, Isaiah and Finn coming into her view as she stood up. "So what is it exactly?" Isaiah asked, spotting the letter and picking it up then to read over it, although he didn't get that far for as soon as he saw the image, his eyes snapped to Kegan's, widening slightly.

"What? What is it?" Finn asked, confusion painted across his face.

"It's the black hand." She replied, sitting down once again and running a hand over her face.

"What? What's a black hand?" He asked, moving closer to look at the letter over Isaiah's shoulder who soon handed it to him as he moved towards the girl, sitting on the seat's rest of the arm chair Kegan was sat in.