chapter twelve

chapter twelve, birthday celebrations

IT WAS A SATURDAY NIGHT and a joint eighteenth was being held for two cousins

IT WAS A SATURDAY NIGHT and a joint eighteenth was being held for two cousins. She made her way through the doors of the Garrison, a round of cheers and claps as she blushed in embarrassment. Tommy leaned forward to the girl, giving her a hug which was quickly copied by John, Arthur and Finn.

"Happy birthday, Kegs." Finn grinned, showing her into the small room booth they had occupied.

Her birthday had been a few days ago but since she had been awaiting to celebrate with Michael, she had put the parties aside. Deciding to spend it with her family. "Finally an adult, hey Kegan?" Arthur grinned.

"Hopefully I'll finally be treated like one." She teased, grinning slyly who only lifted the side of his lips lightly in a small act of amusement.

"Right, come on. Finally you can take a drink without one of us glaring daggers at you." John cheered, handing her a glass of some kind of alcohol.

"She's done that about a million times before, John boy." Arthur grinned, putting an arm around Kegan and squeezing her shoulder in encouragement as she took the glass in her hands, then pouring the liquid down her throat as cheers erupted.

Not a whole wile later, Polly and Michael arrived at the bar. Cheers erupting yet again at the other newly eighteen year old.

"Happy birthday Michael." Tommy said, shaking hands with the now adult man.

"Eighteen years old. You're a man today." Arthur grinned. "Give him a drink, John boy." John, grinning also handed over a glass to him. "And later, we'll find you a lady of the night."

Kegan and the rest burst out a laugh as Polly's mouth opened in shock, ushering him away. "Arthur!"

"Michael, Kegan." Tommy then said, grabbing two small boxes from his pockets. He handed them over, the two opening them. Inside Kegan's was a silver necklace, a cross locket attatched to it. "It was mother's." He muttered, "Used to wear it every day she did." Tommy almost lost his balance at the flying hug that was bounced upon him by his youngest sister, the girl hugging him tightly as she closed her eyes just as tight.

"Thank you Tommy." She whispered, "And Arthur, John." She smiled, moving to them also to give them hugs."

"That's not the only thing." Arthur answered, a shit eating grin on his face as he spoke. John took out a large red box from underneath the table, his expression a copycat of Arthur's. He passed it over to her, the girl opening it quickly to find a red dress with details everywhere, at one part there was lace and a belt of red jewels above the hips. She looked at it in amazement, before furrowing her eyebrows and looking at her brothers,

"Where am I gonna wear this?" She asked, confusion lacing her tone.

"We're moving up sister, and you're joining us." Tommy only grinned. "A toast. To Michael and Kegan." Tommy then said, raising his glass up, the others following, the two in question clinking their glasses together with small smiles.