chapter thirty

chapter thirty, weddings and romance

AS KEGAN WALKED HOME from meeting up with Romeo and his new girlfriend, a bright smile on her face as she came into the full house that seemed to be filled with her family

AS KEGAN WALKED HOME from meeting up with Romeo and his new girlfriend, a bright smile on her face as she came into the full house that seemed to be filled with her family. Once walking in, she spoke dramatically, "I have news."

The group looked up from where they were drinking either tea or some alcohol from the cupboards. Thomas, Arthur, John, Polly and Finn looked at her as half of them raised their eyebrows for her to go on.

"Romeo's getting married." She grinned. A group of cheers went out from the group.

"Fuck, he settles quick doesn't he?" John laughed, taking a drink of the substance in his hand. "With that one that's Esme's friend?" He continued looking up to his sister with a questioning look to which he got a nod from in response.

"Yeah Effy, and they've been together a good while though, haven't they? Six or seven months?" She then asked, sitting down beside Finn at the table.

"Yeah they started going out a bit after you and Isaiah." Polly replied, nodding her head at the girl. The sentence seemed to send the girl into a train of thought. Marriage, love, lifelong. Her and Isaiah hadn't even said the three special words to each other and Romeo was off getting married to his girl.

Did she love him?

What even was love?

It's not like she'd ever been in love before.

At least she didn't think she had been. She knew her brothers were in love, she didn't know how they knew though. Her parents hadn't been very much in love. Well to be honest, they weren't really in love at all. She decided on asking one of them later, but on which one to ask she wasn't sure.

She looked over to Polly who was talking with Tommy and Arthur at the moment, she was in love once. Maybe she'd know how to tell. It was rather embarrassing though to ask and she quickly decided on drowning in the questions she held.

Soon, everyone but herself and Tommy were left at the table as he opened his mouth to speak. "What's wrong?" He didn't seem very interested in her answer though he crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair to focus on the conversation.

"Huh? Nothing." She replied quickly, almost dropping her butter knife as she made herself some jam and bread. He gave her a look, quirking an eyebrow. "Just wondering what I'm going to wear for the wedding!" He gave her an odd look, as if he didn't believe her but didn't push any further.

"When's the date then?" He then asked, looking towards the girl again.

"Few weeks, the invitations are going out soon and Romeo's family need to travel over from France too." She only replied, nodding her head as she spoke, thankful the last topic was gone with the wind and they'd passed onto another. "When's your digger friends coming?" She joked then, the man only lifting his smirk a little in amusement before he replied.

"Soon, I'll bring you to the yard in my car."

SHE ARRIVED LATER THAT DAY alongside Tommy, brightening up when she saw Isaiah sitting down by John smoking a cigar. She moved towards him and once seeing the girl he grinned and stood up. A kiss was shared before he wrapped an arm around her and made their way back to the group.

They waited for the men from the War that would help with the robbery, having small talk between each other. "Heard Romeo's getting married." Isaiah said at one point, looking down to the girl. Romeo and him hadn't set off as the best of friends before but once Isaiah realised he had no romantic interest in the girl the got along quite well.

"Uh, yeah. Marriage!" Kegan replied rather awkwardly, the boy laughing slightly as he gave her a look of 'you good?'. "Can't wait! I mean not my wedding, Romeo's wedding. Not that I don't want to ever get married. Actually I love weddings-."

"Are you okay?" He finally said, making the girl blush incredibly. "You're acting the opposite of you and I still find it cute." He sighed dramatically as he teased, making the girl laugh and loosen up from her awkward state.

"So cheesy, Isaiah." She sang, before looking towards the van pulling into the docks. The group stood up as Tommy made his way towards the van, a few men piling out of it. "Can you hear anything they're saying?" She whispered to Isaiah at one point.

"No, so I don't know why you're whispering." He laughed, looking down at her once again.

"Should I get them tea?" Curly asked, as they watched the others.

"Get 'em beer and cola. They used to run on it like cars on petrol." John responded, taking a smoke of his cigarette.

"Give 'em the black country stuff. It's in a barrel with the tack." Arthur then said, Curly muttering a quick 'yeah' before leaving the group to go get the drinks.

"They're gonna fucking clean me out." Charlie then said, looking towards Arthur.

"Whatever they take, they will put back. They're good men." The other only responded.

"John, Arthur. You remember these boys?" Tommy then called as the group advanced towards them.

"Well if it ain't the Tipton fucking clay kickers, eh?" John smirked walking forwards. "Come here you." Introductions, greetings and reunions all began then as the groups talked to the others before

"This is William Letso from the South African Native Labor Corps. Sent to Flanders from the Bloemfontein diamond mines. The best tunneller I've ever met." Tommy said, hugging the man in the middle of the group once everyone was done with the handshakes and hugs.

"So there's three cellars." Tommy started, pointing towards a map of the house a half hour later after drinks and catch ups. "Underneath the house. Wine, kitchen, septic. There's a tunnel here that runs from the house underneath the river to an underground strong room. Now, this used to be the palace treasury. The tunnel runs directly west and it's separated from the house by three iron doors with locks we can't open. We need our tunnel to run from here and hit the strong room direct."

yall- i think i lost chapter thirty one and thirty two😭😭😭 idk where they went 😭