chapter forty

chapter forty, home is a nice place now

FLORENCE JESUS WAS BORN on May twenty second 1928 in Birmingham Hospital

FLORENCE JESUS WAS BORN on May twenty second 1928 in Birmingham Hospital. A gorgeous mixed girl with the fluffiest head of hair. Her eyes were a hazel colour, a mixture between her mother and father's eyes. She was dosed in love and affection from the first time she opened her eyes to see Kegan and Isaiah crying down at the small baby she had just birthed.

Now, a year later the small girl played down in the grassy fields of their garden in the countryside with her mother who doted on her as they messed around with the teddy bear's picnic Kegan had set up, Isaiah was out doing Peaky business for he would usually be sitting out too pouring tea for Mr. Teddy and Mrs. Owl.

Florence couldn't speak yet of course, but from Esme's experience when she had called, the small toddler was getting on nicely with her words and phrases. On a bright evening, the small girl had said the word 'Dada' out loud, making Isaiah jump around and cheer for his daughter, Kegan joining in as she danced with the girl in her arms.

Not a few weeks later, the girl was able to say 'Mama' also and now a few months later was able to say the word 'Mummy'. She was still stuck on 'Dada' for Isaiah though. "Tea for Mr Teddy!" The small girl stumbled across her words as she spoke, but thankfully Kegan could understand it enough that when she poured some tea into the Teddy's china mug, Flo clapped her hands excitedly together.

"Miss Jesus, the phones on hold from your brother Arthur." A voice called out, she turned her head to see a maid calling out to her from the house. "He said it's urgent!" She said, once seeing the woman's glance for if she should stay and play and ring Arthur later.

"All right, can you call Jane to play with Flo when I'm on the phone?" She asked, the maid nodding her head as she went off to call for the nanny that was barely needed other than times like this for either one of the parent was usually with the kid.

"Hello Arthur, how's you?" She asked, once picking up the telephone.

"We've lost fucking everything." He spoke as if he were repeating this for the hundredth time, out of breath as he did so.

"What? How?" She asked, her eyebrows lacing together as she spoke.

"Michael held on." He merely replied in his rush. She realised then the boy had ignored all of Tommy's warnings that the Stock Exchange was going to crash and land badly for everyone in Wall Street.

"You're joking." She breathed, holding onto the telephone even tighter as she listened in.

"Stay near the telephone, I'm going out to Tommy now and I'll need you on the line in case a meeting's called or everyone's back to Birmingham." Arthur then continued, the girl nodding her head although he wouldn't even be able to see her.

"Right, okay. That's fine. Is Isaiah nearly done?" She asked.

"He's on his way." He replied, "See you later."