chapter twenty five

chapter twenty five, mourning figures

EVERYTHING SEEMED COLD AS she sat in the living room of Tommy's home, the home she had spent the week in with Ada looking after the little boy longing for his mother who was now buried into the ground in a casket

Even now as she sat with Charles in her arms, she felt she could cry just by looking at the sleeping boy. "He's back." Ada then said, Kegan quickly looking up at the words.

"Was he out there all night?" Michael then asked, him, Ada and Polly stood by the window looking out at the driveway.

"Every night since the funeral." Ada nodded, looking towards the two. "Comes back in the morning to see Charles and feed the horses and when it gets dark, he goes off again."

"He used to sleep out when he was a kid." Polly reminisced, "Curly would find him in the pasture. How's the baby?" She then asked.

"He asks for his mum at night." Kegan spoke, rocking said boy in her arms as she looked down at him. The group all looked to the baby, watching the innocent look on his face as he slept.

Ada then clicked her tongue moving away to grab a sheet. "Tommy made a list." She nodded, picking it up then. "He wants to see you two first."

"What about John, Kegan and Arthur?" Polly asked, just as Tommy's figure came walking in past them and through to his office.

After a while of just her, Charles and Ada sitting in the empty living room, John and Arthur entered sitting down by the fireplace quietly with no words. Polly and Michael entered the room not long after from the study, their meeting quite obviously over.

"Right, let's go." Arthur said, standing up to move.

"Uh, we've already seen him." Polly then answered, looking towards the man, who with John turned their head rapidly.

"He wanted to see people in a particular order." Ada said in defence, looking towards the group.

"I can normally read him, but he's difficult to read. So be careful." Polly said, holding a letter in her hands.

"I thought it was a fucking family meeting." John then said, leaning back into his seat, Arthur agreeing with him. "All of us together, I thought."

"John, he's grieving. To see everyone together would be too much." Polly answered, setting a hand on John's shoulder.

"Yeah well come on John, Kegan." Arthur then said as Kegan handed Charles who was still sleeping over to Ada.

"Yeah well, Arthur. We need him back. Sabini and Solomons have already sent condolences and flowers. "So it won't be long before they come trotting up the A1 like wolves."

"Go on there's a timetable." Ada then said after giving Charles to the nanny who was to put him to sleep.

"Only good news." Polly called as the three left for the office.